Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-09-2008, 09:06   #121
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Lithium hydride is water a reactive flammable solid and would blow up the ship. How's that going to save the crew, ship and cargo?

Thankfully suggestions of this nature aren't under consideration should any yacht be involved.

Old 29-09-2008, 02:04   #122

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Lithium Hydride is used in atomic bombs, notably the hydrogen bomb.

Old 29-09-2008, 02:31   #123

I agree...why go there in the first place....if you poke your head in a lions cage...don't be surprised at the outcome....

If the navy sank a few of these rhibs that the pirates use then word would soon get around not to bother

How do the pirates know that there a re vulnerable boats around....if you are in convoy and you are attacked...what do the other boats do with no weapons....take pictures and be a witness maybe
Old 29-09-2008, 11:00   #124

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Hmm pirates who grow up with weapons and have access to much bigger weapons being sunk by an untrained small crew who have hired a rifle - anyone else see the stupidity here

It is a well established fact that you are at a higher risk if you have a weapon, but dont know how it should be used

If your crew is ex-military, then that may be different
Not to argue, but this is a myth.. specifically the "well established fact that you are at a higher risk if you have weapon".

I personally have never found that to be the case.
I come from Detroit originally.
I spent 26 years in the military.
I carry a weapon almost every day of my life.
I have been robbed once, and I wasn't armed.
I had attempts made to rob and/or injure me when I was armed, and it didn't happen.
I have never "accidentally" shot anyone.
I don't miss when I do shoot (and neither does my wife).

The facts are that in all states in the US that now issue "concealed carry permits" (in whatever form they are issued) shows that crime has dropped drastically. Colorado and Florida have some good stats on this, as do other states.

Piracy is a crime against humans - and it doesn't have to be "illegal" by law for it to be wrong. Stealing, terrorizing and hurting people is simply wrong when those people have done nothing to deserve being robbed, terrorized or hurt. Pirates should be killed outright and if you're alone out there you shouldn't have to stand there and take it.

By the same token you shouldn't go alone into areas where piracy is known - and if you travel in larger groups you stick together and help each other out... isn't that kind of the "Code of Sailors" anyway?

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 11:07   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I didn't say "only sail at night." If you look at the IMB incident map, you'll see that the bulk of the recent attacks are concentrated in a relatively small area at the mouth of the GoA - my suggestion was to plan to go through as much of that little area, as is possible, at night-time. This specifically reduces the chance that you will be seen and targeted by pirates. There is no indication that the pirates use sophisticated means to track targets, like using radio direction-finding equipment. So your transmission wattage is less important than minding what you say - that is, don't give your position over the radio or leak any information that would tend to indicate where you will be travelling.
Very good "Comsec" and "Opsec" tactics

Old 29-09-2008, 12:33   #126
RRR

RickD, I totally agree with your last two posts here. I was in almost as long as you and carry all the time now. I work on sniper rifles for the military now and security with that sort of hardware around my home is high priority. I am NEVER unarmed! It's a funny thing that since I've been packing openly noone has even tried to rob me. Before that I had three attempts out here where luckily I was able to scare them off by getting to my gun quickly. I just carry it everywhere now.

When we start our cruise I will be armed too but a little more heavily. I have seen what happens on the ocean firsthand and will not put my family in any kind of danger like that without a means of defending ourselves.
Old 29-09-2008, 12:43   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

When we start our cruise I will be armed too but a little more heavily. I have seen what happens on the ocean firsthand and will not put my family in any kind of danger like that without a means of defending ourselves.
I can assure you we will likely be doing the same thing. A 9mm isn't the only thing available and I don't have to "rent" weapons.

Old 29-09-2008, 12:59   #128
RRR

We have a pair of Matching M-14 rifles. Semi auto but very very accurate! I learned how to shoot one a long time ago on the side of a pitching ship so I'm not worried about hitting what I aim at at all either. I've had those RPG's thrown my way more than once too and the bad guys always got what they had coming. We only used our big gun one time that I can remember to stop a boat that was a lot faster than we were. Usually it was just rifles that we used in a fight. It does work.
People have to understand that hostage takers rarely ever release the hostages alive. Especially these days. If you have a weapon and know how to use it at least you will have a fighting chance.

The US and Russian Navy will never let a boat load of tanks and other weapons be taken ashore either. Keeping that hardware out of the bad guys hands is a lot higher priority than saving the hostages at this point. That's just the way it is in real life.
Old 29-09-2008, 13:23   #129

I find it amazing that a group of pirates can take a large cargo ship, then again what I've been reading about them is that they come in under cover of darkness (usually right at dawn or just at dusk rather than in broad daylight) and come aboard the bigger boats, usually demand money, valuables and just leave.

Taking whole vessels seems kind of new for them lately. (But I can't back that up with factual data just yet).

Old 29-09-2008, 13:42   #130
RRR

I wonder if it's illegal for civilians to rig up deceptive lighting? We did it routinely on all of the ships I was on. Especially when we were doing Law enforcement ops or playing tag with Russians. Rigging lights on a frigate to look like a trawler or a private yacht is easy. It can't be hard the other way around.

I'll bet I could make my boat look like an aircraft carrier if I wanted to at night. I wonder if the coast guard has any laws governing that practice? It would probably fool at least some pirates.

Don't they have IFF for private boats now too? If so it might be a good investment for people traveling in not so secure areas?
Old 29-09-2008, 14:39   #131

Quote:
I wonder if it's illegal for civilians to rig up deceptive lighting?
I would think that there is a law along the US, coast guard-regulated that says it has to be "such and such" rather than saying "it can't be this way".

Anywhere else you're going... well, who knows?

Old 29-09-2008, 14:48   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
According to international law, and almost all nations have signed on, you are supposed to observe the COLREG's...which describe the correct lights for your type of vessel and situation. I'm not saying people dont break these laws...they do quite frequently.

If someone collided with you and you were not showing the correct lights, then you would have a lot less to defend yourself.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 07:51   #133

FOX News is JUST ABOUT to report on the Pirates that took the cargo ship with the tanks. Any second now. The comments were about "US confrontation with pirates" --- and the reporter said "And this is no Disney movie"...

Old 30-09-2008, 08:25   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
No warship can arrive on the scene of a pirated ship and start shooting ...
Therein lies the problem in being the 'good guys' - hamstrung by laws and ethics. It looks like someone might have already taken matters into their own hands -
Mystery surrounds hijacked Iranian ship - The Long War Journal
Old 30-09-2008, 09:13   #135

I just read through about 20 articles - and I'll say this, it appears that the US is trying VERY hard to pressure these guys into bailing from this ship. I don't think the USN is going to let them move the cargo in any case... just my take from a rather unique position at this point.

Also this article states that the ship is actually linked to Sudan... USN says:

Quote:
For a second day yesterday several US warships were monitoring activity on the hijacked boat, which was anchored several miles off the Somali coast. The US navy released photographs showing new pirates arriving in speedboats to reinforce their allies on the ship.

"We are not going to allow the offloading of any cargo from the ship," said a spokesman for the US Fifth Fleet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: