Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45   #31
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think most people change their priorities whenever they feel threatened! ……I know I do and in this case anyone who watches the news sees this as an escalating criminal threat that must be neutralized before it is copied.

As far as going through waters known for Piracy. These waters and other narrow connecting points like Malacca Straits need to be transited if you want to go anywhere.

Thats what ships and boats have been doing for centuries and the cost in fuel to now go the long way would be astronomical

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hostages call home:

Two Germans kidnaped from a yacht last month by pirates off Somalia's northern Puntland region have been in contact with their families, the weekly news magazine Der Spiegel said in a report Sunday AFP reports.
The pirates allowed the couple, identified only as Jurgen K. (?Kantiner?), 63, and Sabine M., 51, to telephone relatives on Friday (July 4/08). They told family members they were well given the circumstances, the report said.
The German ministry of foreign affairs had also sent a package of medication via intermediaries for the man who is a diabetic.
The pirates have demanded millions of euros in ransom money for the pair, who were seized on June 23, Der Spiegel said, adding that a crisis cell in Berlin had negotiated with them through a tribal leader.

German Captive in Somalia is Diabetic Human Rights Worker:
Goto: German Captive in Somalia is Diabetic Human Rights Worker | Travel | / | News

“... Yusuf Ahmed Jama, an official with a Puntland-based human rights agency, was allowed to visit the German family in a remote area of Sanaag region.

"I spoke and stayed with the hostages for two days," Mr. Jama said speaking to the media.

Mr. Jorgan Kantiner, the German hostage in Sanag region in eastern state of has developed diabetes in the past four days said the human rights activist who visited the German hostages. Somalia

Mr. Jama said that the wife "is in good health," but was roughed up during the initial kidnapping when she was reportedly "beaten lightly." ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39   #33

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
These waters and other narrow connecting points like Malacca Straits need to be transited if you want to go anywhere.

Pelagic, my friend, I agree with you 100%. Ironically, I was trying to point this out last night. Unfortunately, I sit on the opposite side of the debate chamber in regards to matters of personal self defensive.

Gord has a very good point in this thread in regards to costs for operating a warship. As much as I would like to see these types of patrols happen, I'm just very skeptical of it happening due to the very high costs involved. If anything happens, it would be in regards to "trade
", not us yachties.

Perhaps yachties could group together to hire ex-servicemen with their "tools of trade" to assist with yachtie convoy's through these areas?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Jama identified the German hostages as: Mr. Jorgan Kantiner [phonetic] and his wife, Mrs. Sebina Merck [phonetic].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kidnap_1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	4219  

Old 07-07-2008, 06:14   #35

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Just for edification - the aforementioned naval force is not NATO - it's a combined task force that has included ships from non-NATO countries such as Australia and Pakistan. Currently it's commanded by a Canadian. Combined Task Force 150 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, the NATO standing naval force (SNMG1) has been through the region in the not-too-distant past, having just circumnavigated Africa.

Kevin
Cheers for filling in further details Kevin. I did not say it was a NATO force. I suggested that perhaps it should be, because NATO can upgrade Rules of Engagement far quicker than the UN seem able.

Sorry for not mentioning Australian, Canadian and Pakistan vessels also engaged. I should also mention that the command centre for Piracy is now handled in the far east at (Kuala Lumper I believe)?

With regard other comments from other posters:

1. It isn't just Yachts. It's the whole of the World's Merchant Fleets too. 2. A substantial Naval Force is already on station specifically to deal with the Piracy problem. They just need to be given permission to shoot at or arrest the Pirates. They do not want nor need the authority to chase them into Somali waters. They are already intercepting them in international waters, but are powerless to act unless fired upon. If a Pirate shoots at a Yacht or Merchant ship than puts his gun down when the navy arrive, they are not yet permitted to shoot or arrest, as the evidence chain has not yet been established at time of incident. These are the present rules of engagement, to avoid diplomatic incident. They need changing. The French are already putting pressure on to upgrade the rules. Lets hope they are successful. It isn't just the odd yacht they are worried about, this is a major international trade route as others have said. There are billions of pounds at stake. Using the cape Route, would mean building different ships such as the ULCCs etc we saw when Suez was closed years ago. It isn't just a case of "protecting a few yachts" nor "sailing a bit further off the coast".
Old 08-07-2008, 11:19   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
If I had to transit this area I would disguise a few hand grenades as pieces of fruit. Then toss an apple in their boat as they came alongside.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 17:38   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
If I had to transit this area I would disguise a few hand grenades as pieces of fruit. Then toss an apple in their boat as they came alongside.
Where do you buy them?
Old 08-07-2008, 17:42   #38

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
One of the best idea's on this thread yet (beats the let's get the very expensive navy out there for the yachties)
Old 09-07-2008, 03:42   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Where do you buy them?
In many countries, often with active war zones, for a couple of bucks. In the US you can actually purchase a hand-grenade legally as well but as a DD you will have to clear a lot of federal paperwork and the tax stamp ($200) will cost more than the grenade.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:00   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
In many countries, often with active war zones, for a couple of bucks. In the US you can actually purchase a hand-grenade legally...
Like this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grenade Lighter.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	4250  

Old 09-07-2008, 04:50   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Throw a bundle of simple road flares with a burning fuse into their boat and they might just jump overboard. The look just like the real thing. Since few of them can swim the issue is reduced and you might get a boat out of it!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:56   #42

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
...Throw a bundle of simple road flares with a burning fuse...
That is a good one! On second thought, all of the basic ingredients for both a Molotov Cocktail as well as Napalm are available on most sailboats as well...
Old 09-07-2008, 05:32   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A old fashion soda spritzer full of gasoline and a good lightercan throw a 30 ft flame with a little modification. (I am a trained maniac, do not try this at home)

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53   #44
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, it's been fun - but try to keep this thread seriously on topic.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:17   #45
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
[quote=GordMay;177542]Anyone have any idea what it cost to operate a warship?

Sure do, it's called the American tax dollar. Operational costs are already there regardless if some pirate wants to ply his trade, it's only the discretion of the captian where he points his ship. If he creates a little side expense of an extra thousand rounds of 50cal. to take out a pirate boat then they can send me the bill and I'll be happy to personally cover it, even at government prices.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: