Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 14:21   #1

Boat: Outbound 44
Pirate attacks at two-decade low: Maritime watchdog

Quote:
. KUALA LUMPUR: Pirate attacks worldwide fell to their lowest level in over two decades last year, the International Maritime Bureau said, but more than doubled in the Philippines while African trouble spots remained dangerous.

A total of 180 incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships were recorded last year, the lowest number since 1995 and down from 191 in 2016, the bureau said in its annual report.
Quote:
. Waters off Somalia remained dangerous, with nine incidents recorded last year, up from two in 2016.

A dramatic attack on a container ship far off the Somali coast saw pirates firing rockets at the vessel after a failed attempt to board it.

"This dramatic incident ... demonstrates that Somali pirates retain the capability and intent to launch attacks against merchant vessels hundreds of miles from their coastline," said IMB director Pottengal Mukundan.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...tchdog-9852176
Old 12-01-2018, 03:09   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Pirate attacks at two-decade low: Maritime watchdog

Good news globally, but of course local activity varies. Example: security problems have increased on the Nicaraguan Banks. Damn shame, I really want to explore that area more.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:26   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

From what I've read there's been approximately 16 incidents in the Somali area in the last 12 mths, not sure what "incidents" exactly means .

I've put alot of thought into that passage and read what there is to read. I just can't figure out how one can mitigate the risk sailing the gulf of aden. I think chance plays a role, although fate is most likely with you, a guy with a AK 47 can really ruin your day.

Personally I can't mitigate that risk, limited options that leave to much to chance, thus I'm heading the long way round, south Africa. Yet I know quite a few boats take that route. Interesting watching how people justify or gauge risk. No judgement, just intrigued by human behaviour.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 02:17   #4

Boat: been sitting it out

am relieved to hear that these incidents have decreased ... though find it hard to believe...

am following
Old 21-01-2018, 02:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
From what I've read there's been approximately 16 incidents in the Somali area in the last 12 mths, not sure what "incidents" exactly means .

I've put alot of thought into that passage and read what there is to read. I just can't figure out how one can mitigate the risk sailing the gulf of aden. I think chance plays a role, although fate is most likely with you, a guy with a AK 47 can really ruin your day.

Personally I can't mitigate that risk, limited options that leave to much to chance, thus I'm heading the long way round, south Africa. Yet I know quite a few boats take that route. Interesting watching how people justify or gauge risk. No judgement, just intrigued by human behaviour.
SA should be fine, but what afterwards? The Gulf of Guinea is also to be avoided, thus you have a very long passage trough St Helena, Ascension and Cape Verde. True, better than loosing the boat and waiting in Eyl for the ransom to be paid...
Old 21-01-2018, 04:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
SA should be fine, but what afterwards? The Gulf of Guinea is also to be avoided, thus you have a very long passage trough St Helena, Ascension and Cape Verde. True, better than loosing the boat and waiting in Eyl for the ransom to be paid...
Carribean for a season or two first.
Old 21-01-2018, 04:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pirate attacks at two-decade low: Maritime watchdog

Quote:
That's the hard way.. one goes NW to go NE.. cross the SA with the winds and currents.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 05:30   #8

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Good, but as far as assessing risk goes it isn’t much help. Around Somalia the big ships are protected much better and there are very few yachts, so few piracies are going to happen. I’ll bet the pirates haven’t thrown away their guns.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 14:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Good, but as far as assessing risk goes it isn’t much help. Around Somalia the big ships are protected much better and there are very few yachts, so few piracies are going to happen. I’ll bet the pirates haven’t thrown away their guns.
I think looking at trends is useful. Since there is not enough data on actual cruisers to be meaningful, you gotta use what is available. I know folks that went up the Red Sea last year without significant incident. That said, if I was going west this season, I would go the South Africa route. But I'm conservative or perhaps just chicken.
Old 21-01-2018, 15:24   #10

Quote:

I would do exactly what your going to do. I'm not interested in exposing myself or my wife to a group of people that have little to no value on life.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 20:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I would do exactly what your going to do. I'm not interested in exposing myself or my wife to a group of people that have little to no value on life.
Hi Robert, it all comes down to risk assessment and perceived risk.

As I've said, Ive thought long and hard about the gulf aden route, even upto recently. Any way I look at it, it's a gamble, and the potential dangers are left way to much to chance.

I know boats that are doing it and it's interesting observing their decision making. In recent years there's been several boats listen in via vhf to pirate attacks occurring in that area, thus it is happening, absolutely no doubt. There's one guy I know that did it last year, he heard two pirate attacks over the vhf, yet he's communicating with others that the trip was great, just go for it! How do people that read his words and think that risk is acceptable? It's interesting to me how humans frame things in a way that suits their desires.

I also think that many choose not to go the south Africa route due do irrational fear, they fear the southern routes potential weather more than the possibility of a pirate attack north. My thoughts are, weather is alot more predictable than a bad guys behaviour and isn't as chance orientated.

Two, three years ago I would have chosen the northern route, I believe at that time the risk was very small, I now believe that piracy in that area has and is making a comeback.

Just my personal opinions.
Old 21-01-2018, 20:54   #12

Quote:
Hi Robert, it all comes down to risk assessment and perceived risk.

As I've said, Ive thought long and hard about the gulf aden route, even upto recently. Any way I look at it, it's a gamble, and the potential dangers are left way to much to chance.

I know boats that are doing it and it's interesting observing their decision making. In recent years there's been several boats listen in via vhf to pirate attacks occurring in that area, thus it is happening, absolutely no doubt. There's one guy I know that did it last year, he heard two pirate attacks over the vhf, yet he's communicating with others that the trip was great, just go for it! How do people that read his words and think that risk is acceptable? It's interesting to me how humans frame things in a way that suits their desires.

I also think that many choose not to go the south Africa route due do irrational fear, they fear the southern routes potential weather more than the possibility of a pirate attack north. My thoughts are, weather is alot more predictable than a bad guys behaviour and isn't as chance orientated.

Two, three years ago I would have chosen the northern route, I believe at that time the risk was very small, I now believe that piracy in that area has and is making a comeback.

Just my personal opinions.
It is interesting how much data filtering and reinterpreting we can do to get to the conclusion that we started with.

I'm surprised that you think 3 years ago was more of a go than now. I see it the opposite. Either way, it is still not to a point where I would take the Red Sea route. The risks and the motoring don't appeal.
Old 22-01-2018, 01:30   #13

Hi Paul, I'm not sure if it was two years ago three or four, can't remember now. But from what I remember, several years back the incidents were basically at zero. It was really bad in 2011 (horn of Africa) and leading up to that year, that was the year the crew of Quest were murdered. I had reached Thailand that year with thoughts of crossing 2012, most cruisers that reached Thailand the same time as I did stayed longer not knowing what to do. I think by memory that by 2014 attacks were very minimal due to military operations, some that weren't broadcasted in the media.

From the figures I see and some stories I hear on the grapevine there seems to be quite a resurgence last year, I could be wrong, not willing to look into it furtheras I'm not heading that way. But either way I feel this is a safer route and also has some really cool bonuses like the Seychelles. The Indian ocean has some very cool places and beautiful water.
Old 22-01-2018, 01:51   #14

2009-11 were probably the worst years, the Somali got as far as the outer islands of the Seychelles.
Old 22-01-2018, 01:59   #15

Quote:
That's my recollection as well, also pirates have been captured only 200nm nw of here (Seychelles) two mths ago. That hasn't happened for quite sometime.