Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 17:20   #1

Exclamation Piracy worse than ever

A brief overview of 2011 statistics:

142 attacks so far this year (97 of which were off the coast of Somalia)

18 vessels have been hijacked worldwide

As of today; 7 people dead and 34 wounded (Out of 344 captured)

Overall statistics:

According to the referenced article below - As of March 31, 2011, 596 crew are being held captive on 28 vessels by Somali pirates.

What do these pirates want? Millions of dollars in ransom money, period. And they are growing more aggressive and violent in order to get it.

(Somali pirates are obviously no longer interested in simply patrolling their country's shores)

__________________________________________________ _____________

Moral of the story: Stay away from the Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean area unless you're willing to risk it. (Waters between Somalia and India including passage through the Suez Canal to the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden)

Full article on MSNBC

Please be careful, folks.
PlumKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 02:34   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Piracy worse than ever

My guess is that the Med is going to warm up this year as well Say what you like about murderous dictatorships , but they keep the coastlines clear .........Libya particularly had a useful deal with the Italians / EU to cut off the flow of migrants (from Africa and all points east). Somehow I doubt that same arrangement will fit in with "peace & democracy" ......albeit in the near term smuggling people and guns probably a nice earner Downside is that folks in those businesses not all as freindly as Somalis - and I include the European end in that as well.

Of course have the usual stuff in the Eastern Med. But death squads apparently are not Pirates. so that's OK Plus seems that Syria is kicking off (especially on the coast - must be some Norman genes still surviving ).....which may open up another route for Migrants. and there helpers.

Happy Holidays
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy