Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 19:05   #1

Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Hi,

I am sure this topic of thread has been done to death but I couldn't find anything that recent.

I am planning a route starting from New Zealand in May next year and would like to know if the Suez Canal route is an acceptable level of risk from Piracy or if people are still going around the bottom?

I have a 44ft Bruce Farr so don't have massive fuel range for non stop motoring through high risk areas but that said I don't know how much I fancy taking a light displacement cruiser/racer around the horn of Africa.

Advice & Information appreciated.

Regards Anthony
Burge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 19:20   #2

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge View Post
Hi,

I am sure this topic of thread has been done to death but I couldn't find anything that recent.

I am planning a route starting from New Zealand in May next year and would like to know if the Suez Canal route is an acceptable level of risk from Piracy or if people are still going around the bottom?

I have a 44ft Bruce Farr so don't have massive fuel range for non stop motoring through high risk areas but that said I don't know how much I fancy taking a light displacement cruiser/racer around the horn of Africa.

Advice & Information appreciated.

Regards Anthony
looking at your post, you shouldn't go. Doubt breeds problems on a circumnavigation.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 19:29   #3

What an unhelpful post.
Old 17-05-2015, 21:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

What do you expect from someone who owns a hermapphrodite boat like a motorsailer.

Ships carrying trained, armed guards, increased interdiction and sinking of pirate vessels by various nation's Navies has made the Somali's and others take up other careers. Hasn't been much piracy in the past few years. With all the craziness from ISIS don't know if the respite will continue for long.

Probably best for you to head west and make a decision whether to go south around the Cape of Good Hope or north through the Suez canal when you get to the point where you have to make a decision which direction to go. The situation in the Mid East is so volatile that it's impossible to make a decision much in advance.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 21:23   #5

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Hi there, I have never made that particular trip up through the Suez, have been to the east coast of Africa as far north as Tanzania. I would much rather balance off the weather systems of the western capes of Africa than the vagaries of politics and renegades of the east. Your boat at 44' seems well able to endure the rigors of the southerly route, and if you have made it that far, then you should be good to go. Many lesser vessels have done it in the past. Good luck, sounds like fun.
Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 21:45   #6

Thanks Guys,

Both helpful posts. I get the feeling from various sources that the Suez route is no longer an absolute no no but it stills carries some risk.

The only reason I am sceptical about heading to far south is that the Farr 44's are quite light displacement and flat bottomed and probably not the most ideal heavy weather cruisers and its also a pretty long detour to get in to the Med.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards Anthony
Old 18-05-2015, 08:02   #7

Try this: Piracy — Noonsite they are normally very accurate and up to date in piracy reports. As for your boat being light displacement and flat bottom be aware that cruising the Red Sea south to north you're in for at least half of the way against the northerly winds. This means about 400 to 600 nm with 15-20 kn winds on the nose.
zadranebbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:25   #8

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

I HAD same question in 2003. At that time I found too many uncertainties and life challenging obstacles when it came to doing the Suez, although I understand things are better now (check Noonsite dot com for latest details). Did Cape instead and enjoyed experience. Weather forecasts were excellent and I was able to visit many unique places like Zanzibar and Dar E Salaam as well as wildlife reserves. Stopping off at Madagascar made the experience even more worthwhile.

Suggest you set up for 40 knot downwind sailing. Hang on, don't let the wind velocity scare you. I was constantly amazed with the SHORT wave height during these sails. It wasn't a calm sea around the Cape, but it wasn't bad at all.

Heading north towards Fernando de Noronha, had phenomenal two week sailing weather north of Saint Helena.

Figure I will do Med starting from East coast of US.

Whichever direction you choose, all the best!
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:33   #9

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Thanks Guys,

Both helpful posts. I get the feeling from various sources that the Suez route is no longer an absolute no no but it stills carries some risk.

The only reason I am sceptical about heading to far south is that the Farr 44's are quite light displacement and flat bottomed and probably not the most ideal heavy weather cruisers and its also a pretty long detour to get in to the Med.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards Anthony
Hi Anthony

South Africa East to West is scary and dangerous. On the other hand, the Suez route is a definite go, piracy is almost non existing nowadays. You will have more problems in Malaka straights in Malaysia than Somalia

Read both Captain's Fatty Googlander's and Bumfuzzle's Bumfuzzle crossings from that area recently- Captain Fatty is on a circunavigation this very moment with "Ganesh" contact him via email through the Cruisers Magazine or his own website and ask him for an update- I am sure he will be happy to give you a very honest and precise advise Here is the website Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Home
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:07   #10

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

Don't have time at moment to check with Bumfuzzle's posting, but did not find sailing East coast of Africa south of Kenya to be "scary and dangerous."However, found Torres Straits to be very scary - fell off a wave - didn't want to cross Tasman, but... Went from Chagos to to Seychelles to Tanzania then east to Madagascar to avoid rough seas on that north coast. Then from Madagascar to Richards Bay.I chose my weather carefully (except Torres) and sailed with comfort in mind, not speed.Good luck!
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:20   #11

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
What an unhelpful post.
My apologies that you took my post as unhelpful. Unfortunately, If a person doubts themselves, then there is a reason for it. I'll stand by my post as it was not meant in a disrespectful way unlike some other posts. I do speak my mind and the truth. I guess you will just have to deal with it or do me a favor and ignore me.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:30   #12

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Wondering if those saying go the Suez route have followed the news. Aden used to be the standard stop for cruisers after crossing the Indian ocean. Certainly not the case now. Even larger ships don't stay overnight there. Don't know about ports further up the sea, but I will take predicted heavy weather anytime over suicide bombers and cray fanatics (of any persuasion)
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:40   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hmmmm, I wonder about some advice that people post.
We came up this route a few months ago - and have completed numerous passages over the last few years the same way. The route is not as scary as some would have you believe and if you take reasonable precautions. We do not broadcast our position or intentions on the radio and we maintain a position closer to the Yemeni coast than the Somalian one. We do use the VHF before entering port. On a good day you can see both both coasts whilst in the Gulf of Aden. Aden is still a good place to refuel (& very cheap) but do not rely on provisioning there. Whilst going through the Straits we keep a central position if there is no shipping. If you want details of our route (W.P's) we can happily supply them along with places where we usually anchor etc. Reprovisioning is not particularly good for the whole southern section of the Red Sea unless you go into Saudi. Eritrea, Sudan, southern Egypt are all a challenge for food - even the fruit and veg is very limited. Fuel, however, is plentiful/cheap and we have never had any issues. The same goes for fresh water. Additionally, the Suez Canal is pretty easy and affordable. You'll likely be popping out into the Med at the beginning of summer, as well. Eritrea is a good place to park off for a while. There is a small boat yard there that can look after your boat for how ever long you want at a very cheap price (cost us US$50 for six weeks whilst we went exploring).
The trip up the Red Sea can be marvellous if you are not in any rush - so many beautiful anchorages and snorkelling.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Hi Anthony

South Africa East to West is scary and dangerous. On the other hand, the Suez route is a definite go, piracy is almost non existing nowadays. You will have more problems in Malaka straights in Malaysia than Somalia

Read both Captain's Fatty Googlander's and Bumfuzzle's Bumfuzzle crossings from that area recently- Captain Fatty is on a circunavigation this very moment with "Ganesh" contact him via email through the Cruisers Magazine or his own website and ask him for an update- I am sure he will be happy to give you a very honest and precise advise Here is the website Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Home
Manos - why is it scary going east to west around RSA? I assume you have undertaken this passage several times and speak from experience? The current is with you all the way. Unless someone is bonkers and tries to do this in a south wester? However, the South African coastguard broadcasts excellent weather forecasts so there is no need to do this. The ports / harbours are all very safe and unless you are in a row boat there is usually adequate time to undertake your passage. East to west is the easy passage - and even west to east is not that bad IF you heed the weather broadcast and use the south wester to your advantage.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:07   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea are an absolute no-no.

Read the papers and you will see Iran has invaded Yemen and AlQuada controls the coast. Aden is a no mans land of waring factions. The US embassy and EVERY European embassy have closed in the last month.
People trafficing from Somalia to Yemen is rife and they are on the lookout for rich boys like you.
Saudi Arabia restarted bombing Yemen yesterday after the 5 day ceasefire.

You need to get the news and follow it carefully before you make plans.

I did it in 2010 and its not worth putting your wife and crew in mortal danger of having their throats slashed on TV in the lounge room of all her friends.... Let alone your own throat.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy