Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 03:29   #76

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Well I am still going through there , and what eunavfor have not stated is that now there is an additional 15 high speed fully armed patrol boats ( UK / Irish company ) who have been contracted by various shipping companies , I agree on one thing I would not go to or stop at Aden , or ethertrai
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 03:50   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
Wowee guys, take a chill pill. As far as I´m concerned, there are two types of people: Those who listen to the news, and those who live life. The greatest risk and most common outcome is a life half-lived. We have one life.

For example, responding to MarkJ (why always the naysayer?)
I hitchhiked through Iran at the height of the media frenzy in 2012. That country remains the friendliest, most welcoming population I have yet encountered. They truly put all western countries to shame, and most other countries. Don´t limit your life by the propaganda machine - take calculated risks where the rewards are comparatively worthwhile. See for yourself. Personally I haven´t calculated the risks of the gulf of Aden, but from the educated posts it looks positive [Mark - the Iranian ships in Yemen are delivering aid]

The situation is Yemen is bad, but that is a mainland civil-war power struggle. I don´t see it relating to maritime issues nor Somali outlaws. Read the right information, and ignore the western hype.
Hi WildWill, Unfortunately, some people are persistently negative. The media have also been full of how ISIS are being pushed out of Iraq yet we have just learnt that Ramadi has now fallen to ISIS despite Reuters, BBC etc advising how ISIS was on their backfoot, especially in regard to Ramadi. I do not rely on the media to give unbiased information.

The issue of people trafficking is also out of date, and whilst the subject matter is deplorable, so is trying to connect it with transitting the GoA. Posting old web information, that is historical, is also unhelpful.

Yemen, as you say, it is a land based civil war and whilst Yemen is at the gateway to the Red Sea, I have serious doubts about the Yemini factions having the ability or even the desire to see the Straits closed.
We have also travelled extensively through the Middle East, including Iran and Syria. Both populations were amazingly hospital and helpful. We have also travelled quite extensively through Saudi where many tell you that visa's are not possible. Yet again we were treated exceptionally well - there were no religious fanatics threatening us. In fact, we were met with smiles and calls of 'welcome'. I have no doubt that these people do exist, though, just as they do in various parts of the world. Countries like Oman are very pro-western and is one of our preferred provisioning stops.

I also have a couple of friends working in Aden and altho' the situation is serious they are both well and continuing with their work.

No doubt we shall see how things work out over the next couple of days/weeks/months and what effect the current situation has on this passage through the Gulf of Aden. Its also ironic that people confirm they have made the passage themselves, at what is now known to have been one of the less favourable periods, and then when the situation is more controlled (for transiting) their advise is not to go.

From my perspective I shall not be posting further on this subject.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 03:56   #78

@ Burge/ Anthony
Source : UK foreign office/ travellers advice ( updated recently by the look of it)

Sea travel
As part of the Coalition response to the Houthi aggression, maritime restrictions are currently in place resulting in variable port and vessel accessibility. Attacks of piracy against vessels in and around the Gulf of Aden, Somali Basin and Indian Ocean are continuing. Sailing and other low-speed vessels are at particular risk, as are shipping vessels which have not adopted agreed industry best practice, including on routing. Maritime terrorism cannot be ruled out.
Mariners should maintain a high state of awareness and be alert to tensions in Yemeni and regional waters. Consult the UK Maritime Trade Operation (UKMTO) during transit.
See our Piracy in the Indian Ocean page.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 04:16   #79

Source : French Foreign office / advice

Le golfe d’Aden est régulièrement le théâtre d’actes de piraterie maritime à l’encontre de bateaux de commerce et de plaisance.

Gulf of Aden....regular attaks....commercial vessels and yachts...blah...blah...

Ces attaques, qui se soldent souvent par des prises d’otages, sont de plus en plus violentes

Result of these attacks more and more violent : hostages...blah...blah...

Il convient d’éviter impérativement la zone de l’Océan indien délimitée par le canal du Mozambique et des Seychelles au sud, Oman au nord et les Maldives à l’est.

Stay clear of Mozambic strait, South Seychelles, Oman North, Maldives east.

Il convient de privilégier le transport des navires par cargo pour traverser le secteur situé entre le méridien 72E et le parallèle 15S.

Area : 72E -15E get your yacht on a cargo

Cependant, en cas de présence dans cette zone, il est demandé de se signaler impérativement au MSCHOA (The Maritime Security Centre - Horn of Africa, contrôle naval volontaire mis en place dans le cadre de l’Opération Atalante)

Compulsary to signal yourself to MSCHOA, as per voluntary naval control operation Atalante.
(NB : I don't understand that diplomatic lingo : Compulsary vs voluntary sounds illogical)

ainsi qu’à la cellule de permanence de l’autorité française compétente pour cette région maritime (Alindien : +971 265.74.122).

Report yourself (and yacht) to French (navy ?) autorities (see phone # above)

Les pirates utilisent des navires hauturiers (boutres, caboteurs), comme les bateaux-mères, pour utiliser au large des embarcations rapides et fortement armées («skiffs »)

Pirates use large vessels and fishing vessels as mother ships and fast "skiffs" heavily armed.

Les cibles sont diversifiées (cargos, bateaux de pêche, etc.), mais le risque est encore plus élevé pour les bateaux de plaisance, qui sont généralement plus lents et bas sur l’eau et constituent, par conséquent, des cibles faciles.

Attaks occurs on all sorts of targets (cargos, fishing boats...etc) BUT yachts (recreational vessels) are at HIGHER risk due to low speed, and low on the water.
They are therefore easy targets.

For what it is worth....
Old 20-05-2015, 08:46   #80

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
Source : French Foreign office / advice

Le golfe d’Aden est régulièrement le théâtre d’actes de piraterie maritime à l’encontre de bateaux de commerce et de plaisance.

Gulf of Aden....regular attaks....commercial vessels and yachts...blah...blah...

Ces attaques, qui se soldent souvent par des prises d’otages, sont de plus en plus violentes

Result of these attacks more and more violent : hostages...blah...blah...

Il convient d’éviter impérativement la zone de l’Océan indien délimitée par le canal du Mozambique et des Seychelles au sud, Oman au nord et les Maldives à l’est.

Stay clear of Mozambic strait, South Seychelles, Oman North, Maldives east.

Il convient de privilégier le transport des navires par cargo pour traverser le secteur situé entre le méridien 72E et le parallèle 15S.

Area : 72E -15E get your yacht on a cargo

Cependant, en cas de présence dans cette zone, il est demandé de se signaler impérativement au MSCHOA (The Maritime Security Centre - Horn of Africa, contrôle naval volontaire mis en place dans le cadre de l’Opération Atalante)

Compulsary to signal yourself to MSCHOA, as per voluntary naval control operation Atalante.
(NB : I don't understand that diplomatic lingo : Compulsary vs voluntary sounds illogical)

ainsi qu’à la cellule de permanence de l’autorité française compétente pour cette région maritime (Alindien : +971 265.74.122).

Report yourself (and yacht) to French (navy ?) autorities (see phone # above)

Les pirates utilisent des navires hauturiers (boutres, caboteurs), comme les bateaux-mères, pour utiliser au large des embarcations rapides et fortement armées («skiffs »)

Pirates use large vessels and fishing vessels as mother ships and fast "skiffs" heavily armed.

Les cibles sont diversifiées (cargos, bateaux de pêche, etc.), mais le risque est encore plus élevé pour les bateaux de plaisance, qui sont généralement plus lents et bas sur l’eau et constituent, par conséquent, des cibles faciles.

Attaks occurs on all sorts of targets (cargos, fishing boats...etc) BUT yachts (recreational vessels) are at HIGHER risk due to low speed, and low on the water.
They are therefore easy targets.

For what it is worth....
Ca vaut plus que la peine Cher Claude Marie,

La Votre amicalement,

S.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:53   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Well I am still going through there , and what eunavfor have not stated is that now there is an additional 15 high speed fully armed patrol boats ( UK / Irish company ) who have been contracted by various shipping companies , I agree on one thing I would not go to or stop at Aden , or ethertrai
Or, like, anywhere between Socotra and Aden? So?

And have you contacted the commander of these "patrol boats" to find where in this 205,000 square mile area thes "15 'additional' boats" are going to be deployed, and under what terms of engagement?

Well? I assume you have done your research. So? How exactly are they likely to be of assistance to you, in your particular transit plan?
Old 20-05-2015, 09:41   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Ca vaut plus que la peine Cher Claude Marie,

La Votre amicalement,

S.

Tack, varsågod.
;-)

Edit : Typo above 72E- 15S (and not E).
Old 20-05-2015, 13:49   #83

Quote:
So… well? What is your source for this information? What is these "boats" area of "patrol"? What do you mean by "fully armed"? How are these (supposedly existant but where and by whom?) stated private patrol boats (whatever that means and however you came by this info… let me guess, it was a guy you know, a "friend" right?) going to help you?

What does this even mean? How on earth can you base the integrity of the flesh of your neck (much less that of others!) upon this kind of nonsense?

Well?
Old 20-05-2015, 18:26   #84

Quote:
So? About these boats? Still waiting for basic answers to basic questions concerning, you know, avoiding kidnap and execution and other trivial stuff like that... And, with regard to stopping, I would be fascinated to discover where you would?
Old 20-05-2015, 19:08   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Hi Anthony

South Africa East to West is scary and dangerous. On the other hand, the Suez route is a definite go, piracy is almost non existing nowadays. You will have more problems in Malaka straights in Malaysia than Somalia

Read both Captain's Fatty Googlander's and Bumfuzzle's Bumfuzzle crossings from that area recently- Captain Fatty is on a circunavigation this very moment with "Ganesh" contact him via email through the Cruisers Magazine or his own website and ask him for an update- I am sure he will be happy to give you a very honest and precise advise Here is the website Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Home
You are flat wrong. Cape sailing carries inherent risks, to be sure, but there has never been a time in the history of the world when those risks are so minimal as now. As to the Gulf of Aden, see above, for how wrong you are.
Old 20-05-2015, 19:13   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I have heard that
l. The problem that existed several years ago is greatly diminished due to the international effort of several navies that now patrol the waters. . Although the recent upsurge in the conflict in the gulf may have created new problems .
2. Some cruisers are "resting over" in places like Langkawi or Phuket and forming convoys.
3. Cruising yachts are not significantly targeted by pirates because of the international attention it draws. They prefer tankers carrying multi million dollar loads of oil which they can ransom back to the insurance company or sell on the black market.
What you have "heard" is flat wrong. See above.
Old 20-05-2015, 20:45   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I have heard that
l. The problem that existed several years ago is greatly diminished due to the international effort of several navies that now patrol the waters. . Although the recent upsurge in the conflict in the gulf may have created new problems .
2. Some cruisers are "resting over" in places like Langkawi or Phuket and forming convoys.
3. Cruising yachts are not significantly targeted by pirates because of the international attention it draws. They prefer tankers carrying multi million dollar loads of oil which they can ransom back to the insurance company or sell on the black market.
Mausgras, I misread your post slightly, apologies. Your observation that the recent upsurge has created new problems is right on target.
Old 20-05-2015, 21:01   #88

Quote:
If it is now so safe, WHY an extra 15 high speed fully armed patrol boats ( UK / Irish company ) who have been contracted by various shipping companies. And are these there to protect you or the companies that pay for them?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 22:58   #89

Boat: Sadler 25

Been reading this thread with interest. We went through the Suez and the Red Sea in 2008, but we did the North to South route (we were heading to Dubai to work).

We loved it, I would love to go back and spend more time there. However, at the moment, we are heading further and further East, so don't know if or when we will get the opportunity to go back.

I should say that we sail a Sadler 25 (25 foot boat) so can't carry huge amounts of diesel or stores. On our way South we stopped at Ishmalia, Suakin, Aden and Mina Salalah to stock up.

The only problem we did have was when we left Dubai in 2009 and going through the Straits of Hormuz we were harrassed by a large dhow flying the Iranian flag. No one on board was carrying guns as far as I could see, I don't believe they were pirates, I think they were curious because there was a woman at the helm of a small boat and they wanted alcohol, so they came within about 3 meters of us and I ended up turning on the VHF really loud, pointing to the tanker coming up behind us and threatening to call for help. As luck would have it, at the same time the tanker could be seen altering course towards us and an Iranian Navy helicopter buzzed the dhow and then shadowed them at least until they were out of sight of us.

The OP should look at the political situation in the region and bear in mind that wars mean refugees and people smugglers and really poor, poor people who see us, no matter what size boat we have, as rich.

We were not approached by anyone until we got to the Hanish Islands and South of them and then it was by fishermen offering us fish. I had bags made up of portions of rice, sugar, tea and biscuits to swap for fish, but no one wanted them, they were just happy to give us fish.

With the civil war in Yemen, and if it affects Aden where are you going to stop to refuel and restock? If you don't think you can carry enough diesel to motor any distance, will you be able to carry enough stores to keep going without stopping? You can stock up in Sri Lanka, but people are saying they encountered problems with corrupt officials there (once again this was a place we loved and we made really good friends with the head of customs. He would invite us to the customs house for supper and to drink the alcohol confiscated from other boats. We were there in 2010 but things change quickly).

Someone mentioned more problems in the Malaka Strait, but we came down (North to South) the Malaka Strait in July last year, the Malaysian Navy were patrolling the area (I watched them fire warning shots to stop a small fishing boat that may have been smuggling) and you can day hop along the coast if you feel unsafe travelling at night. We went from Langkawi to the South China Sea in one hit, no problems.

This year with the boat people I imagine the Navy are patrolling the area even more.

Langkawi and Phuket are where a large number of boats stopped because they didn't want to risk the Red Sea or the route round South Africa. These boats go up and down the Malaka Strait several times a year with little or no problems. There are also rallies if you feel more comfortable going with a rally (East Malaysia, Indonesia you can find them on the web).

So I suppose I'm saying to the OP do some careful research, wait until you are in Langkawi or Phuket and speak to people who have just arrived from the West. You will meet people organising rallies to go round SA or up the Red Sea. Make an informed judgement, by the time you get to SE Asia you should have a good idea what your boat is capable of doing and make your decision based on what you know. Only you can decide which risks you are willing to take.

Tricia
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 23:58   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I would be interested to know which insurance companies are offering cover for cruising yachts transiting the straits and gulf of aden,and what,if any their exclusions are?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy