Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 13:56   #136
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 7,282
Images: 14
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Hi there Boatman… though I have some sympathy with what you say: this isn't about the Somalis.
Okay, I am still listening, so what's it about then? My guess is the oil in Samalia and making dam sure it doesn't come on to the market any time soon.

The Brits are back looking at oil in Ethiopia too, or were until they got caught handing some brown paper envelopes over to a few local officials.

Pete
__________________

__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:32   #137
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 951
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Things have changed again. Refugee crisis wont get better any time soon. And med is in centre of it.

Maybe red sea is not the biggest problem any more.
__________________

__________________
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:36   #138
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, I am still listening, so what's it about then? My guess is the oil in Samalia and making dam sure it doesn't come on to the market any time soon.

The Brits are back looking at oil in Ethiopia too, or were until they got caught handing some brown paper envelopes over to a few local officials.

Pete
????? This concerns the civil war in the Yemen and the civil war taking place across Islamic sectarian lines. This has handed vast swathes of territory flanking the Gulf of Aden to extremist groups such as Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and now, as per the post I just put up, has been seen to be allowing infiltration of the heavily contested port of Aden by AQAP and ISIS. And… what oil in Somalia?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34115952
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:41   #139
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, I am still listening, so what's it about then? My guess is the oil in Samalia and making dam sure it doesn't come on to the market any time soon.

The Brits are back looking at oil in Ethiopia too, or were until they got caught handing some brown paper envelopes over to a few local officials.

Pete
I see… there does seem to be some British oil exploration taking place in Somalia… but I fail to see what that has to do with the sectarian civil war in the Yemen. What these posts have been about is an informational warning of the emerging situation in the area which should be a concern to all yachties considering transit of the Gulf of Aden.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 15:04   #140
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 7,282
Images: 14
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I see… there does seem to be some British oil exploration taking place in Somalia… but I fail to see what that has to do with the sectarian civil war in the Yemen. What these posts have been about is an informational warning of the emerging situation in the area which should be a concern to all yachties considering transit of the Gulf of Aden.
If you didn't want any more oil being released into the market because you controlled a large chunk of the existing supply, what steps would you take to ensure the West didn't develop Somalia or Ethiopia. Civil war?

Who benefits from the civil unrest across the region?

You assume it is a concern for all yachties considering a transit of the gulf, actually I recon there are very few making that consideration at the moment.
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 16:29   #141
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you didn't want any more oil being released into the market because you controlled a large chunk of the existing supply, what steps would you take to ensure the West didn't develop Somalia or Ethiopia. Civil war?

Who benefits from the civil unrest across the region?

You assume it is a concern for all yachties considering a transit of the gulf, actually I recon there are very few making that consideration at the moment.
Really I personally do not feel this is a forum for conspiracy theories or conspiracy type "great game" speculations, and I certainly won't be engaging in chat like that. Apart from that such talk is rather hand waving, it really doesn't further the issue at hand, which is a question of mariner's security in the region. That said, I feel your suggestion is way off base in terms of the geopolitics of the region. Apart from anything else the last thing in the world the Gulf States want is a major civil war in Yemen. You talk as if you have an inside track on "who benefits". Respectfully, however, that is something I am afraid I doubt and indeed is irrelevant as stated to the question of yachtie security in transit of the Gulf of Aden.

As to whether or not many are making the fact of extremist Islamic terror organisations' control of major port cities and hundreds of miles of coastline flanking the Gulf of Aden a consideration in their transit plans, I hope that they are and if they are not they damn well should be!
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 16:38   #142
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

people seem to have forgotten why yachts stopped transiting the gulf of aden,armed robbery was seen as an acceptable risk until attacks esculated into killings of crews potentially because of the flag they are flying...........

refresh yourself
Somali pirates kill four Americans | World news | The Guardian
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:07   #143
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 19,739
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

I doubt the Houthi's or the Saudi backed regime are that interested in yachties heading through the Gulf.. its still the African side that would concern me more..
And by the way.. what Islamic terrorist organisations would these be..
__________________

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:20   #144
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I doubt the Houthi's or the Saudi backed regime are that interested in yachties heading through the Gulf.. its still the African side that would concern me more..
And by the way.. what Islamic terrorist organisations would these be..
This is not about the Houthis, or the Saudis. As to which organisations? Well, as stated many many times throughout this thread, the most important is Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who control a huge quantity of territory in Yemen now, something like one quarter of the entire nation, including at least 200 miles of coastline and one major port city, Al Mukalla, and ISIS who, along with AQAP are infiltrating Aden in a significant way right now, as was the entire focus of the article I have just posted, twice it must be said.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:32   #145
Registered User
 
atoll's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 8,670
Images: 75
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

am a jus' watin for jimmy to send dem haigh fallutin gineau pigs through the slot nes year...........
__________________
latest project http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235049
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:06   #146
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

So for the avoidance of any doubt and once again here is the most recent article. Please read to the end and note that the most recent atrocity of the Islamic State affiliate in Yemen was to tow a bunch of Houthis in orange jumpsuits out into the harbour in a boat, where they were blown up in front of the citizens of Aden.

So… to review: in a boat.

Has Yemen war handed Aden to jihadists? - BBC News
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01   #147
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 7,282
Images: 14
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

For once that is quite a good article. So Iran backing one lot and Saudis the others, what a mess, it could take years to bring the region under someone's control that is acceptable to the East, West and Ruskies.

Pete
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:33   #148
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 19,739
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

So Flugga me ole Muckle...
Stay out of the ports, well offshore and do longer legs.. sod all in Yemen to see anyway.. and I doubt Al-Qaida or ISIS etc are going to scour the seas for yachties to blow up..
Arabs are not keen sailors in the main..


PS: you didn't used to sail a Tiki 26 back in the 90's did you..?
__________________

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:05   #149
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

So Al Qaeda has been consolidating control in Aden:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6113a...key-areas-aden
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 01:17   #150
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Port Welshpool Australia
Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Posts: 755
Images: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
am a jus' watin for jimmy to send dem haigh fallutin gineau pigs through the slot nes year...........
Well atol just loaded supply's here in Xmas island awaiting customs clearance and wind and sea to calm down a bit but this Guineau pig hopes to leave in next 36 hrs
__________________

__________________
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
piracy

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Chart On Piracy Gulf of Aden Alondra Indian Ocean & Red Sea 4 19-12-2008 16:43
PIRATES - Gulf of Aden (Sunday 22 June) lenseman Cruising News & Events 141 16-10-2008 11:13
Gulf of Aden Passage Plan GordMay Health, Safety & Related Gear 4 01-09-2008 08:08
To run the gauntlet in the Gulf of Aden piratepat Cruising News & Events 10 08-08-2008 05:03


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.