Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2015, 13:56   #136

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Hi there Boatman… though I have some sympathy with what you say: this isn't about the Somalis.
Okay, I am still listening, so what's it about then? My guess is the oil in Samalia and making dam sure it doesn't come on to the market any time soon.

The Brits are back looking at oil in Ethiopia too, or were until they got caught handing some brown paper envelopes over to a few local officials.

Pete

Old 02-09-2015, 14:32   #137

Boat: Lagoon 400

Things have changed again. Refugee crisis wont get better any time soon. And med is in centre of it.

Maybe red sea is not the biggest problem any more.

Old 02-09-2015, 14:36   #138

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, I am still listening, so what's it about then? My guess is the oil in Samalia and making dam sure it doesn't come on to the market any time soon.

The Brits are back looking at oil in Ethiopia too, or were until they got caught handing some brown paper envelopes over to a few local officials.

Pete
????? This concerns the civil war in the Yemen and the civil war taking place across Islamic sectarian lines. This has handed vast swathes of territory flanking the Gulf of Aden to extremist groups such as Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and now, as per the post I just put up, has been seen to be allowing infiltration of the heavily contested port of Aden by AQAP and ISIS. And… what oil in Somalia?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34115952
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:41   #139

Quote:

Pete
I see… there does seem to be some British oil exploration taking place in Somalia… but I fail to see what that has to do with the sectarian civil war in the Yemen. What these posts have been about is an informational warning of the emerging situation in the area which should be a concern to all yachties considering transit of the Gulf of Aden.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 02-09-2015, 15:04   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I see… there does seem to be some British oil exploration taking place in Somalia… but I fail to see what that has to do with the sectarian civil war in the Yemen. What these posts have been about is an informational warning of the emerging situation in the area which should be a concern to all yachties considering transit of the Gulf of Aden.
If you didn't want any more oil being released into the market because you controlled a large chunk of the existing supply, what steps would you take to ensure the West didn't develop Somalia or Ethiopia. Civil war?

Who benefits from the civil unrest across the region?

You assume it is a concern for all yachties considering a transit of the gulf, actually I recon there are very few making that consideration at the moment.
Old 02-09-2015, 16:29   #141

Quote:
If you didn't want any more oil being released into the market because you controlled a large chunk of the existing supply, what steps would you take to ensure the West didn't develop Somalia or Ethiopia. Civil war?

Who benefits from the civil unrest across the region?

You assume it is a concern for all yachties considering a transit of the gulf, actually I recon there are very few making that consideration at the moment.
Really I personally do not feel this is a forum for conspiracy theories or conspiracy type "great game" speculations, and I certainly won't be engaging in chat like that. Apart from that such talk is rather hand waving, it really doesn't further the issue at hand, which is a question of mariner's security in the region. That said, I feel your suggestion is way off base in terms of the geopolitics of the region. Apart from anything else the last thing in the world the Gulf States want is a major civil war in Yemen. You talk as if you have an inside track on "who benefits". Respectfully, however, that is something I am afraid I doubt and indeed is irrelevant as stated to the question of yachtie security in transit of the Gulf of Aden.

As to whether or not many are making the fact of extremist Islamic terror organisations' control of major port cities and hundreds of miles of coastline flanking the Gulf of Aden a consideration in their transit plans, I hope that they are and if they are not they damn well should be!
Old 02-09-2015, 16:38   #142

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

people seem to have forgotten why yachts stopped transiting the gulf of aden,armed robbery was seen as an acceptable risk until attacks esculated into killings of crews potentially because of the flag they are flying...........

refresh yourself
Somali pirates kill four Americans | World news | The Guardian
Old 02-09-2015, 17:07   #143
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

I doubt the Houthi's or the Saudi backed regime are that interested in yachties heading through the Gulf.. its still the African side that would concern me more..
And by the way.. what Islamic terrorist organisations would these be..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 17:20   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I doubt the Houthi's or the Saudi backed regime are that interested in yachties heading through the Gulf.. its still the African side that would concern me more..
And by the way.. what Islamic terrorist organisations would these be..
This is not about the Houthis, or the Saudis. As to which organisations? Well, as stated many many times throughout this thread, the most important is Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who control a huge quantity of territory in Yemen now, something like one quarter of the entire nation, including at least 200 miles of coastline and one major port city, Al Mukalla, and ISIS who, along with AQAP are infiltrating Aden in a significant way right now, as was the entire focus of the article I have just posted, twice it must be said.
Old 02-09-2015, 17:32   #145

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

am a jus' watin for jimmy to send dem haigh fallutin gineau pigs through the slot nes year...........
Old 02-09-2015, 18:06   #146

So for the avoidance of any doubt and once again here is the most recent article. Please read to the end and note that the most recent atrocity of the Islamic State affiliate in Yemen was to tow a bunch of Houthis in orange jumpsuits out into the harbour in a boat, where they were blown up in front of the citizens of Aden.

So… to review: in a boat.

Has Yemen war handed Aden to jihadists? - BBC News
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For once that is quite a good article. So Iran backing one lot and Saudis the others, what a mess, it could take years to bring the region under someone's control that is acceptable to the East, West and Ruskies.

Pete
Old 03-09-2015, 10:33   #148
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Piracy In Gulf of Aden

So Flugga me ole Muckle...
Stay out of the ports, well offshore and do longer legs.. sod all in Yemen to see anyway.. and I doubt Al-Qaida or ISIS etc are going to scour the seas for yachties to blow up..
Arabs are not keen sailors in the main..

PS: you didn't used to sail a Tiki 26 back in the 90's did you..?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:05   #149

So Al Qaeda has been consolidating control in Aden:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6113a...key-areas-aden
Old 26-09-2015, 01:17   #150

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
am a jus' watin for jimmy to send dem haigh fallutin gineau pigs through the slot nes year...........
Well atol just loaded supply's here in Xmas island awaiting customs clearance and wind and sea to calm down a bit but this Guineau pig hopes to leave in next 36 hrs

Tags
piracy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: