Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 09:04   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Piracy Honduras

I can find one news story

Calgary couple survives pirate attack on sailing trip in Honduras - Calgary - CBC News

Anyone else have anything additional.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:16   #2
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Piracy Honduras

2015 Bahamas gun check-in update "boarded"



and...... ready, set,
__________________

__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:12   #3
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I can find one news story

Calgary couple survives pirate attack on sailing trip in Honduras - Calgary - CBC News

Anyone else have anything additional.
Feel the love?
https://youtu.be/vo9AH4vG2wA
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14   #4
Registered User
 
Prairie Chicken's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada or Spain
Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Posts: 1,114
Images: 1
Re: Piracy Honduras

OK, so I think there are three threads on this now ....
__________________
Prairie Chicken
><((((>`..`..`...><((((>.
`..`..`...><((((>`..`..` ...><((((>
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:34   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,908
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
OK, so I think there are three threads on this now ....
Mods, can you merge?
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:37   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,761
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Piracy Honduras

ok so they have been put off from sailing. ok.
but despite their research allegedly undergone prior to their ill fated trip is it and could it be actually true that tbey had NO CLUE of the historic danger i that area.

mebbe they were out to make a misadventure by playing in pirateville.
recent as well as past dangers are listed in more than one research source.
i guess those are not read much anymore.

mebbe they just didnt and do not know geography. but i thought that was taught in canadian gradeschools as well as in usa ones
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:52   #7
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok so they have been put off from sailing. ok.
but despite their research allegedly undergone prior to their ill fated trip is it and could it be actually true that tbey had NO CLUE of the historic danger i that area.

mebbe they were out to make a misadventure by playing in pirateville.
recent as well as past dangers are listed in more than one research source.
i guess those are not read much anymore.

mebbe they just didnt and do not know geography. but i thought that was taught in canadian gradeschools as well as in usa ones
Or... it could be they're related to GDubYa.. or went to the same classes.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 10:07   #8
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or... it could be they're related to GDubYa.. or went to the same classes.

You love your red beret don't you, Boatman. Bush was certainly no Rhodes Scholar but he was honest enough to release his grades to the public. We still have no report on "O The Untouchable." I guess that's what they call Truth and Transparency or "Change You Can Believe In." This, to the political detractors, IS boating related since "O" crossed the Pacific to finish his schooling! I heard he surfed the whole distance wearing a backpack and without a break. Perhaps he was following some sort of smoky contrail. Good Luck, good sailing, may the power of the Little Red Book live with you forever. R
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 11:08   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,368
Re: Piracy Honduras

According to a couple of web sites I have read in the past, Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world. Even if most of that is focused on local gang wars and not all against tourists I still would not consider cruising anywhere in the area.

Just a little research before the trip could have informed them of the potential.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 15:55   #10
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
According to a couple of web sites I have read in the past, Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world. Even if most of that is focused on local gang wars and not all against tourists I still would not consider cruising anywhere in the area.

Just a little research before the trip could have informed them of the potential.
The islands of Utilla and Roatan are safe havens in an otherwise sketchy country. I've been to both San Jose and Roatan and there's a world of difference!
__________________
Chris
SailMentor.com - Become the Confident Skipper of Your Own Sailboat
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 16:08   #11
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Piracy Honduras

You will have a hard time avoiding this area if you cruise the north west Caribbean. The cruising grounds for Roatan and the Bay Islands, parts of Belize and the Rio Dulce all are right there. It would be awfully hard to get to the Rio from the south without sailing past the north coast of Honduras. In a way it would be a minor version of the Horn of Africa.
Word is, the US military has a base in Honduras now, maybe they should provide a little protection duty for all the gringos. There are a LOT of gringo's and sailboats here. A few poor fishermen getting blasted by gunboats should cure the problem.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 16:14   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,368
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
The islands of Utilla and Roatan are safe havens in an otherwise sketchy country. I've been to both San Jose and Roatan and there's a world of difference!
So I have heard. How long since you have been there? Seems like the crime rate has only been really bad for the last few years.

Seems like Roatan is (or has been?) a major destination for diving. However only 20-40 miles off the coast. Not that far for a determined bandit with a panga.

I would think twice and research very carefully before going anywhere close to Honduras, even to the islands.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 16:41   #13
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So I have heard. How long since you have been there? Seems like the crime rate has only been really bad for the last few years.

Seems like Roatan is (or has been?) a major destination for diving. However only 20-40 miles off the coast. Not that far for a determined bandit with a panga.

I would think twice and research very carefully before going anywhere close to Honduras, even to the islands.
Yeah, not sure I'd consider Utila to be much of a "safe haven", any spot that has long been known among cruisers as "Burglary Bay" might give one a clue :-)

As mentioned in one of the other several threads on this incident, anyone who's been paying any attention to sources like Noonsite or the Caribbean Safety and Security Net would know the passage from Utila to Livingston and the Rio Dulce should be considered an extremely risky one, and that Punta Sal should be given an extremely wide berth...

The Water Cays were a pretty nice spot, a laid back feeling, I didn't feel like there was much risk there... A dicey anchorage, however, I spent a nerve-wracking night there when a series of violent squalls moved thru...




The main harbor at Utila, however, you can have it... I'll never go back, WAY too many more appealing places to cruise, for me... Aside from the security concerns, the only place I've ever been that had louder music from shore at night was Port Antonio, Jamaica... In Utila, I don't think I ever managed to fall asleep before 3 or 4 AM... :-)


__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 17:47   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,908
Re: Piracy Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Yeah, not sure I'd consider Utila to be much of a "safe haven", any spot that has long been known among cruisers as "Burglary Bay" might give one a clue :-)

As mentioned in one of the other several threads on this incident, anyone who's been paying any attention to sources like Noonsite or the Caribbean Safety and Security Net would know the passage from Utila to Livingston and the Rio Dulce should be considered an extremely risky one, and that Punta Sal should be given an extremely wide berth...
...
The "Burglary Bay" moniker is a bit dated for Utila. That was put to an end a number of years ago and to my knowledge there haven't been any significant problems since. I was there in 2011 & 2012 and there were no current problems. Spent several days in the main anchorage at Utila. Agree not the best, but Utila is a fun funky little island to explore...rented an ATV and rode all over the island.

The Bay Islands are culturally different than mainland Honduras...just ask any Bay Islander...many still think of themselves as English and blame crime problems on the Spanish from the mainland.

The Bay Islands are not totally without trouble (see past reports on sites referenced above), but much less risky than mainland Honduras. Guanaja in particular is an unlikely place to have problems. There has been one attack ever on a cruising boat there that I know of and the local authorities apprehended the guys before they managed to get off the island (obviously not the brightest guys to comit a crime on a very small island).

I plan to sail back home to the Rio in another season or two and pass thru the Bay Islands again, but will take a more northerly route from there...probably up to Belize first and then down the Belizean coast to the Rio.
__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 16:16   #15
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Piracy Honduras

Video interview of the couple who were attacked.


http://globalnews.ca/news/1938374/ca...tory-on-video/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Honduras, piracy

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Piracy in Honduras lorenzo b Health, Safety & Related Gear 6 11-08-2012 10:06
Honduras and the Bay Islands May 8-23 - Will You Be There ? Ocean Roads Atlantic & the Caribbean 3 06-05-2009 18:15
Cell Phone for Mexico, Guatamala, Honduras Will Burton Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 04-05-2009 09:29
Looking to Crew from Guatemala / Honduras to Caribbean in Late July '08 femke Crew Archives 0 08-06-2008 08:45



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.