Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 07:43   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Panama: Skipper Killed and Crew Wounded

Reports from the Panama Guide and TVN Noticias state that one cruiser was killed and two others were wounded, in what appears was an assault by five pirates on a cruising boat at sea near Bajo Pipón, about 15 to 20 minutes from the Port of Pedregal, in the province of Chiriquí, Panama.

See
Noonsite: Panama: Skipper Killed and Crew Wounded in Yacht Attack
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Terrible news. Has this been the first attack on cruisers in this region in a while?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Bob Olsen, 61, an American citizen who had been living on his boat off the coast of Chiriquí, was shot and killed during an attackby four armed men Two other people on board his sailboat, Antares " were injured in the attack. His son, Zacarías Ksaer Olsen, was shot, and Sugey Rodríguez, 27, sustained injuries to her forehead.
Ramón López, deputy commissioner of the Naval Service in Chiriquí, said the two injured people were takento the Port of Pedregal in another vessel at about 1:30 a.m. They said that four armed men had stormed the boat, which was anchored in the Gulf of Chiriquí off the island of Bajo Pipón.
Olsen's body was transferred to the judicial morgue of David.
American shot dead in boat attack off Chiriqui

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
275 sailing NM's from Panama City and Panama Canal.
Is that area off or on the normal cruisers track coming south from the USA?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	17461  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 47
We avoided the mainland in that area for rumors of crime 15 years ago so I guess things are not much different. The offshore islands though were one of our favorite places.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:01   #6

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
So very sad. Each new event never dimishes the shock that such news immediately creates... nor lessens the reaction of incomprehensibily of the act and the level of sympathy for the victim's family and friends.... and the particular excruciating punishment I would like to apply to the perpetuators.
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:26   #7

Terrible news. Lock this thread before it turns into the g word.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:46   #8

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Shooting in Panama

This hits very close to home for me... I am 61 years old and I am a sailor who owns a boat. I live 50 minutes from the shooting site. I was shot November 2008 by 2 guys and took 6 bullets and lived. I was extremely lucky. I really feel bad for this situation. One bullet he dies.. Horrible. I always carry a gun with me for protection but more for protection for my girl friend. I would rather fight on an even basis that be kicked around by some scum bags like the ones who assaulted their boat. I was in Mexico a month ago and they took my gun and charged me with crimes even though I declared and had a license from Panama to carry a gun and everything registered. I had been to Mexico 20 times before through my life. I had the best of times and climbed the pyramids of the Mayan and Aztecs and made many friends. I will never travel to Mexico again with the current circumstances of drugs and killings and the hatred for the USA for what we are doing to them.. This is what they told me from Immigration to Navy to Adwana to Police. It is Americas fault Mexico is having problems. The are deporting our people helping their family's. The drugs are consumed by Americans and so it is our fault Mexicans are into drug wars. The firearms are coming from American and killing our people. I heard this from everyone in Mexico. I love Mexico and I hate Mexico. I will be blessed for the good memories but what they ( the Mexican government) did to us on a trip from Cuba to Panama I will never forgive them for. Locked up and charged and found guilty (the law is you are guilty until proven innocent) Well in a week I got out of Prison ( not jail) prison because I had a good lawyer and they proved me innocent within the 6 days.
A total miracle just like being shot 6 times and driving myself to the hospital 10 kilometers away with the will to live. Anyway I hope they catch the scumbags who did this to those people but they probably wont. I live in Panama and have lived there for 5 years. This is the downside to Panama. Really is the wild west and you need to protect yourself. Just like when you are sailing. You live or die by your own actions and planning..

Hey I love this forum and it is good for my therapy to vent once in a while.

Be careful and be careful who you trust cause it is not always the way it seems.

Good night everyone.. James
Old 01-07-2010, 16:58   #9

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
In all the Caribbean the best place I have been treated with government officials and actually people is Cuba. For what it is worth. The people are in prison in Cuba figuratively and we are a breath of fresh air for them when we travel there. There is a bill in congress at this moment that is expected to pass to let us travel to Cuba legally.. A little more money will help the Cuban people.. I really love those people but the government is a little controlling..
Old 01-07-2010, 17:01   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
This may seem a little irrelevant. A 6 year old drown last week in my neighborhood pool. 3 teenage lifegaurds wre on duty. It was pretty well lost by the local news which I think was good. It won't become a political thread a gun thread just a sad event. Some how with all our best plans something went drastically wrong. Sad for that. I would plan on hearing that this weekend brings at least 2 homicides to my district. A few vehicular deaths. Some house fires I'm sure. Last year some idiot handed a roman candle off to my neighbors child who is 30 but suffers from lead poisoning he damn near burned the block down. I still drive still have the same neighbors live in the same district. I still hope we can do better. I still would cruise to panama. Just another sad story of Screwed up people.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:08   #11

I really do HATE to hear stuff like this!! My prayers are with everyone involved especially their families!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 16:23   #12

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
New on Cuba

H.R.4645 - A bill to end travel restrictions on all Americans to Cuba.
On 6/30/2010 The House of Representatives voted yea-25, nay-20.
Hopefully we will be sailing from Key West to Cuba in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
In all the Caribbean the best place I have been treated with government officials and actually people is Cuba. For what it is worth. The people are in prison in Cuba figuratively and we are a breath of fresh air for them when we travel there. There is a bill in congress at this moment that is expected to pass to let us travel to Cuba legally.. A little more money will help the Cuban people.. I really love those people but the government is a little controlling..
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 17:21   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's an update on the death of Danish-born American Bo Kjaer-Olson from today's 'Lectronic Latitude:

"More on Panama Murder

"July 16, 2010 – Pedregal, Panama

"The attack on Danish-born American sailor Bo Kjaer-Olsen last month in Panama — which led to his death — left many who've enjoyed trouble-free cruising in that Central American country wondering what might have motivated Kjaer-Olsen's five assailants."

To read the entire update, go to:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

TaoJones
Old 17-07-2010, 04:26   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Don Winner’s complete article in Panama-Guide.com
http://www.panama-guide.com/article....00708142809603

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 05:47   #15

The moral of the story seems to be - don't park in poor areas in a big yacht, especially if you have a reputation for leaving large sums of money on board.

Reading that article in the Panama Guide it was only a matter of time until something like this happened. In a country filled with economically disadvantaged people, to have a reputation that you leave gold, silver and $200K lying around on your boat and then to anchor your boat 7 miles from the nearest cops... surely it was obvious that somebody would be tempted.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama