Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 17:06   #121
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Packing for 4month cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Top tips for joining a new forum:-

Alternatively, identify those who are heavily (over!) invested in the Forum (post count) and suck up to a few by thanking them (in threads they have started) for their insight / help / blah blah blah......play yer way in.
You really ARE an evil man! I am astounded at the level you would stoop to, and a tad embarrassed I didn't think of it FIRST!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
On the dress size,,,shorter the better,,,,,,and will the review on shipwear attire include any articles on leather and high heals ?????
size = around
short = length

(just so you are clear ; -)

and I'll see what I can do to include the leather and heels in my post cruising report, JUST for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
When I first moved on board a boat someone said....you have to cut down on stuff, like jackets. I own more jackets now that I live on a boat several times over.
Himself has that problem on the Cal. I don't think it's gonna be an issue on this boat... It has a full size closet in the cabin and a dresser on the other side of the bed, across from the couch... around the corner from the full bathroom ; -)

I can take all the coats I can fit into my air line weight limited case!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 17:16   #122

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ
On the dress size,,,shorter the better,,,,,,and will the review on shipwear attire include any articles on leather and high heals ?????

size = around
short = length

(just so you are clear ; -)

and I'll see what I can do to include the leather and heels in my post cruising report, JUST for you....

I LOVE YOU,,, YOU THE WOMAN,,,,,,,PHOTOS PLEASE OF THE LEATHER

captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 00:24   #123
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
You really ARE an evil man! I am astounded at the level you would stoop to, and a tad embarrassed I didn't think of it FIRST!!
I've been told that before .

But I thank you for your valuable input, has been really helpful .....I will be naming my first born child in your honour. and sacrificing a goat .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OH NO!!!! Not the GOAT!!!!!

: -0

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19   #125

DOJ How can you sacrifice your new wife????? Thought you got married several months ago???
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 11:56   #126

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
DOJ How can you sacrifice your new wife????? Thought you got married several months ago???
But she is eating me out of house and home.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:20   #127

give her the mouse to eat
Old 15-01-2012, 09:48   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
You guys can laugh all ya want at Sally and her round the world cruise. I have to actually go on one of them monstrosities this July...

*grumblegrumbleinlaws50thwhinewhingewholefamilyfor 9daysgrousewhimpercrammedontoafloatingmall/hotel/lasvegasthisisSOgonnasuck*
Sarafina-Bet this Italian cruise ship troubles is making talk of upcoming cruise ship plans more interesting at family dinners Just remember the quote from PyotrBee...

Quote:
As an industry, cruising has a safety record generally regarded as excellent. Over the past two decades, an estimated 90 million passengers have enjoyed a cruise without major incident. The overwhelming majority of deaths on cruise ships are from natural causes or suicides. Passenger ships – defined as any ship carrying more than 12 passengers – must comply with International Maritime Organisation regulations, which cover every aspect of the construction and operation."
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 16:12   #129

Does everyone here feel this way?

Wow. I followed a link to this thread from deckofficer from "the other board" as I love water and am interested in learning to sail someday and he presented this board as a source of friendly knowledge.

Instead I find a group of people (on this thread at least) who amalgamate cruise ship passengers into obnoxious, fat, mindless, over-imbibing sheep (I could go on) and complaints about being forced to cruise free to a stunning destination that many will never have the opportunity to see from a cruise ship or otherwise.

I can promise you that your stereotype of cruisers is not representative of the entire group. I hope the comments on this thread are not representative of yours, either.
TheOtherCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 16:19   #130

Re: Does everyone here feel this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherCruiser View Post
Wow. I followed a link to this thread from deckofficer from "the other board" as I love water and am interested in learning to sail someday and he presented this board as a source of friendly knowledge.

Instead I find a group of people (on this thread at least) who amalgamate cruise ship passengers into obnoxious, fat, mindless, over-imbibing sheep (I could go on) and complaints about being forced to cruise free to a stunning destination that many will never have the opportunity to see from a cruise ship or otherwise.

I can promise you that your stereotype of cruisers is not representative of the entire group. I hope the comments on this thread are not representative of yours, either.
What's your point?
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 16:27   #131
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

welcome to the forum,having lived in the carribean for many years and been able to view from the after deck of my yacht,the humble cruiseship passenger as they are sheperded into mini busses form their giant floating condo,it is easy to see the parralels between an alien invasion and a texas cattle market,with the wolves circling....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 16:51   #132

Boat: too many

Quote:

Well, that is what you call jumping in with both feet. The humor here, unlike our general living scenario is a bit dry, but you will get used to it. Welcome and enjoy the forum. A common interest of the sea is all that is needed. There are some bias about cruise ship cruising, so you might want to hold off on declaring that as a passion. Some cruisers here (I won't name who) cruise on a budget that is, shall we say, rather limited and have found that certain destinations have in their eyes been spoiled by wealthy cruise ship patrons coming ashore and driving up the cost of a beer and other needed items.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:12   #133

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Quote:

Gee, I thought this was one of the more civilized forums. Must be pretty dull on "the other board".
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:14   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Well, if you are looking for info on sailing then you CAN find a lot of incredibly experienced people who are happy to help.

If you are expecting big fans of the Cruise Ship Mode of Travel... well... frankly not so much. Not really our cuppa tea.

I think that what DeckOfficer was observing was that Sally came here, pretty confused and got polite responses and clarification to let her know she had landed in a forum that was not going to have much of use to her packing plan.

On the other hand, I went to Cruise Critic, appropriately, for information about what my experience might be like on an Alaskan cruise and was pretty much lambasted for presenting honestly my concerns about cruising and how that was going to work for me. And rather than satire and silliness, which is mostly what this thread has become as my friends have offered advice, both humorous and pertinant, I was greeted with very personal attacks.

And your comment about how ungrateful it is to not be over the moon with the opportunity to take a cruise ship (insert itinerary here) is typical. Just because you think cruising, in a huge combo malllasvegasresortfoodcourt, is a treat doesn't mean everyone will.

I have a great deal of experience with online communities and forums and I have to say that while I have met folks on Cruise Critic who have been helpful and pleasant, and I have gathered a great deal of information that has been valuable in planning for our Alaska trip, over all I find it to be one of the worst moderated and virulent communities I have ever spent time on. You yourself may be the nicest guy in the world, I have no reason to think you are anything else, but the nastiness in the threads involving formal wear, this line or that line, enforcing alcohol policies, and children on cruise ships astounds me. It's not just newbies who get attacked. People attack each other like rabid piranhas!

I may or may not come back from my Alaska cruise as a fan of cruise ships, but I feel pretty certain that I will NOT be posting a review of my experience. It's been made pretty clear over there that my viewpoint is not appreciated or wanted.

Slavishly adores huge cruises no matter how well or badly they are staffed/priced/organized/provisioned seems to be pretty much the big picture over there. But I don't feel that just *being on a cruise ship* is a sufficiently wonderful enough thing to negate any expectations about the actual experience. And that was pretty much the most common message I got. As you yourself expressed, how dare I not be delighted?

Well, I dare ; -)

Old 16-01-2012, 17:37   #135

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Well, that is what you call jumping in with both feet. The humor here, unlike our general living scenario is a bit dry, but you will get used to it. Welcome and enjoy the forum. A common interest of the sea is all that is needed. There are some bias about cruise ship cruising, so you might want to hold off on declaring that as a passion. Some cruisers here (I won't name who) cruise on a budget that is, shall we say, rather limited and have found that certain destinations have in their eyes been spoiled by wealthy cruise ship patrons coming ashore and driving up the cost of a beer and other needed items.
You're right on that one. I've lived in a far flung port where the price of everything goes up on cruise ship days - even the bus fares. It's a real pain in the bum. Traffic blocked the only road to my house and made passage in or out impossible. At least I could see from the front gate if a ship was in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9020021.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	36087
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise