Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 16:00   #76

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't know about the rest but I do know that your image of Turkey as an exotique location to build quality yachts or the idea that Turkish yacht building industry is low quality is at least some decades out of date:

"Turkey ranks third in the world in megayacht making business after Holland and Italy, with a 9% market share.

Turkey has sailed ahead of many European countries as a leader in the megayacht building and marketing race, as remarkable growth in the yachting sector showed Turkey ranking third among Europe’s largest producers of megayachts, following Italy and the Netherlands. Business in the local sector has reached an annual volume of 300 million euros.
"

- See more at: Yachts Built in Turkey - Turkish Megayachts | Denison Yacht Sales

Mega yachts are high quality multi million yachts that require high quality technologically skilled workmanship.

Even in what regards production high quality boats Euphoria yachts or even Azuree have a very high standard. Both are not only made in Turkey as they are Turkish brands.

Euphoria
OK.

You have me 50% convinced. With hopes for further recovery.

The now remaining 50% goes to seeing the difference between quality (Holland) and price (Turkey).

What I am saying is in a race of five ranking third would be only so-so while in a race of fifty ranking third would be excellent. I will read into how many players there are and then you may actually see me somewhere beyond the a/m 50% mark.

Still, a sound try and a valid argument. I will do my homework now.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:32   #77

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Bilgin Yachts a Turkish rich guy yacht builder build mainly in Wood, lol yes in Wood and epoxy, 30, 40 50 or 100 plus meters yachts in Wood, Star Sapphire, a 117 ft motor yacht build in Bilgin broke the 2 main prop shafts in Aruba, despite laser alignment by the builder , conclusión, the hull flex , a lot, prior this incident she spend 6 months doing repairs in SXM , just after delivery from Turkey... Bilgin yachts, Turkey proud....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:47   #78
Eternal Member

No question, some yachts of very high quality have been turned out in Turkey...

However, the reputation of their superyacht industry took a bit of a hit, with the mysterious sinking of the $39 million 197-footer YOGI a couple of years ago, less than a year after she was first launched...

Yogi: The Sinking of a Megayacht

Why Did the Megayacht Yogi Sink?

Sinking of Proteksan-Turquoise superyacht Yogi | Yachting Magazine

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:47   #79

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Let's see the picture? If it was on an 82, couldn't have been a "Turkish job," as you call it... Since the 82 is built in England.

Please produce the picture of the 82 with the two foot gaping hole in the deck... Inquiring eyes and minds await.

Please... Do show us. ;-)
Typo. She is only 72. Built 2009 (according to one website devoted to a major ocean race taking place in the Southern Hemisphere). As you say, this would make her a UK built (I believe).

You can find the picture by googling it out or else by contacting Oyster sales and asking them about this specific damage. I am sure they have the pictures as well as some sort of explanation.

BTW If you happen to still have those images of Polina Star bobbing belly up PLS do share them with us. When I came to that social media website that same afternoon, they were mysteriously gone ...

If you do not have them, I will have to contact Oyster sales directly ...

PM sent.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:50   #80

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Bilgin Yachts a Turkish rich guy yacht builder build mainly in Wood, lol yes in Wood and epoxy, 30, 40 50 or 100 plus meters yachts in Wood, Star Sapphire, a 117 ft motor yacht build in Bilgin broke the 2 main prop shafts in Aruba, despite laser alignment by the builder , conclusión, the hull flex , a lot, prior this incident she spend 6 months doing repairs in SXM , just after delivery from Turkey... Bilgin yachts, Turkey proud....
Bilgin yachts is an old brand and probably they still made some boats in traditional wood, classical ones on the line of the gulets but what they are doing now is mainly this:

Does it look low tech? You can say that the hull has wood since it is a wood composite bul cold molded wood on epoxy is a high tech technique that gives very strong and light hulls. It has a major inconvenient: expensive.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 14:37   #81

Quote:
Bilgin yachts is an old brand and probably they still made some boats in traditional wood, classical ones on the line of the gulets but what they are doing now is mainly this:

Does it look low tech? You can say that the hull has wood since it is a wood composite bul cold molded wood on epoxy is a high tech technique that gives very strong and light hulls. It has a major inconvenient: expensive.
Wood sooner or later rot, i dont see any advantage about that except the final Price, you say is expensive i say is cheaper compared to any other major EU builder, take a bilgin and take for example a Abeking& Rassmusen build in Alu and composite , bet you a cold pack the Abeking Rassmusen is by far way expensiveeeeee....
Old 24-08-2015, 14:46   #82
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
I agree that the Lemons are cheap in Turkey but in what regards Yacht building they made excellent yachts mostly outsourcing but also some brands that are proud to be Turkish.
Turkey is only 7th in worlwide lemon production but 3rd larger mega yacht producer, following Italy and Holland.

By the way, Maltese Falcon was also made in Turkey and didn't sink so far..

Cheers
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:12   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Maybe you all didn't read far enough. This is a quote from "
Quote:
Ongoing developments may obtrude, however. Over the past few months, most marine publications have reported the existence of a criminal investigation of the Yogi sinking by Greek authorities. Word is that it was begun by the Hellenic Air Force (the entity that handled the rescue of Yogi’s crew, presumably at considerable expense) and is now in the hands of a prosecutorial authority in Piraeus, Greece’s chief seaport.

Recently, a source close to the investigation told Power & Motoryacht that charges being contemplated include “deliberate wreckage and the endangering of human life.” Further information was not available at press time, although it’s likely the Greeks are asking themselves some of the same questions already posed thus far, as well as others, among them: What about the ship’s logbook—why is it not mentioned in the French report, particularly in light of the lengthy period of time the crew had to ensure its preservation? Why was Yogi’s bilge-pumping system so ineffective, given that video footage showed her powered up even moments before she went down? And why was Yogi’s AIS system apparently not operating during the hours preceding the tragedy?

“Many questions,” concludes Proteksan-Turquoise CEO Karabeyoglu, rather fatalistically it seems. He continues to deal, after all, with the loss of a high-profile yacht that had become “like one of my children” during her construction, as well as the demise of a long-time boatbuilding partner and confidante, Proteksan-Turquoise’s former CEO Hayati Kamhi, who committed suicide shortly after the sinking.
Power & Motoryacht"
A Criminal Investigation
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:22   #84

But the Maltese Falcon is build by Perini Navi in the Perini navi yard facility in Tuzla Turkey,under the supervision of a English and Dutch Company....
Old 24-08-2015, 23:52   #85

Like Oyster like most of the Maxi yacht, they are made by foreign brands under supervision. What we were discussing was just the quality of the yachts produced there that, as I have said, have a high quality average standard and Maltese Falcon is a good example.

There are Lemons built everywhere and from time to time **** hits the fan.

They are now making the biggest sailing yacht, a futuristic baby with beautiful lines.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:33   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
At last an impartial voice amongst the baying of the hounds. I would hazard that those of you who accuse us Oyster owners of "being in denial," have never sailed one. To correct that situation I would be happy to offer anyone of you a tour aboard and a sail which, if it does not change your opinion, at least will allow us to part as friends.

Those who are not interested in my offer please confine your opinions to subjects you know something about.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Well, at least we can take the Mickey out of Oyster owners now, instead of the ever returning remarks on forums about Bavaria´s whose keels fall off

But I agree with what Dhillen says. In general Oysters are very well built yachts. I do not own an Oyster, but I have been (profesionally and independently) looking after many and various sized Oysters over the last 10 years and I have sailed a lot of miles on a whole range of them, both long and short voyages. I can only be impressed.
Maybe not everybody´s cup of tea, especially if you like performance and racing, but in my opinion, they are great and well built yachts.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:55   #87

Good Morning! I'm the captain of the 825 "Polina Star III". I have decided to say the thruth about the accident: We never had collisions, we never went aground; the 3th of July the boat lost in 5 minute 20 mq. Of hull, the stub and the keel and we suddenly capsized. We are alive just because we are lucky and because the crew managed properly the emergency.
Alessiocannoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 03:21   #88

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
Good Morning! I'm the captain of the 825 "Polina Star III". I have decided to say the thruth about the accident: We never had collisions, we never went aground; the 3th of July the boat lost in 5 minute 20 mq. Of hull, the stub and the keel and we suddenly capsized. We are alive just because we are lucky and because the crew managed properly the emergency.
Thanks for coming out. What an extraordinary thing to happen and well done for surviving.

Please tell us more, with all the details. 20m sq of hull is an enormous piece of hull to come away if I understand correctly what you are saying. What did you first see and how did the damage develop?

What conditions were you in and what events preceded it?

Did the boat roll or just flood very fast?

What do you think went wrong?

Have you heard of progress of the investigation into the accident or have you seen any pictures?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 04:25   #89

Wow! Well, let me first thank the Captain for being honest and open. Can we somehow get verified you are who you say you are. Just to be prudent.

But this is purely a production error if you say this is what happened. I had already picked up various rumours in regards to this and some experts in the field told me it could have been poor vacuuming with not enough saturation of certain stress areas. But, I don't know whether or not Oyster does vacuum or hand lay up in this case.

I would not like to be in the Oyster CEO's shoes right now......besides they wouldn't fit me anyway.

rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:47   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Just to be sure, you have always been the Captain of Polina star? and therefore are able to claim that the boat had never had any groundings?

The Polina star was a 90ft extended version of the 825. Do you think that has anything to do with the case? I mean the boat was designed as a 82ft and many 825 have been sailed extensively, one of them is making the ARC right now (and going very fast), none with problems to my knowledge.

Do you know anything about the results of the investigations? The wreck has been removed and we will know for sure what happened and the causes of the accident.

There was a video about that but:

Some photos:

They say that the boat used a keel system attachment (with a structure) that is not used by any other Oysters. Do you know if they are talking about the 90ft extended version or if they are talking about the 825?

The damage really looks bad and explains why the boat sunk so quickly.

This is the new 885 structure:

Tags
oyster