Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 16:26   #61

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Based on sales data a few years ago and extrapolating forwards with a guesstimate I get to around 1,500 to 1,600.
Well, that's not exactly low volume...and they are tasty boats even if I'd never have one even if I could afford it. But why, oh why, did they name it after a mollusc that adheres to things? The world is your Oyster? Rolex Oyster? Eat a dozen raw and prepare for a heavy sea state? Never mind, the imponderables of marketing....

Old 18-08-2015, 16:53   #62
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I dunno, sure reads like a typical Press Release, to me... Something written by a committee, which apparently took 3 weeks to produce :-)

This statement, in particular, makes little sense:

"Oyster Marine takes this loss, the first of its kind in the Company’s 42 year history, with the utmost seriousness and has commenced an investigation to establish the cause. Diving inspections of the hull on the seabed have been undertaken and through this the possibility of impact with an underwater object propagating structural failure has not been ruled out. "

Since it is known that a a 55 sank several years ago after hitting a growler near South Georgia - which would qualify as an "impact with an underwater object", seems to me - by declaring the loss of POLINA STAR "the first of its kind", they have in effect already ruled out hitting something as being the cause of the sinking, no?

Just a hunch, but I'd bet a few of the crew of POLINA STAR have a pretty good idea what likely "propagated the structural failure"...

And, you've gotta love the richness of the irony in their choice of the word "propagate", in this instance... It's the root of the term "PROPAGANDA", after all...

;-)

When all is said and done, however, seems to me that Oyster enjoys a pretty stellar record for safety and the integrity of their yachts, overall... I, too, would be interested in hearing more about the supposed "multiple incidents" similar to the loss of POLINA STAR that S/V Illusion has alluded to...
Lol. I agree that it sounds like a typical press release. What impressed me was the fact that Oyster seems to be performing an investigation of this incident. The press release mentions diving inspections have been done, and a future recovery of the vessel.

I think this is the first press release I have ever seen put out by a builder after one of its boat came apart or sank. I guess that might be what impressed me the most. Hopefully Oyster will continue the investigation and get to the bottom of it. The few Oysters I have been on were fantastic.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:03   #63

Boat: OEM, proportional

A thought just occurred: Oyster is in damage-control mode for a one-off build....covering their sterns while the crew is investigated for something perhaps? Taking da Boss' ride for a spin and losing it on a wet corner, so to speak?
Old 18-08-2015, 17:47   #64

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Initial reports indicate likely loss of a bolt on keel after impact. Not a new story.

Modern keel and rudder design has traded certain aspects of durability for performance or simplicity. Add that to the "Serial #1" factor and this is even less an earth shattering/manufacturer ruining event.

Being at sea and far away from a repair facility is the norm. Immediate hull inspection after an impact or grounding less so.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 18-08-2015, 19:10   #65

Boat: Liberty 458

Reads like an add for a condo. Ah there's some mention of sailing right in the last paragraph.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:55   #66

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Don't buy a Rolls Royce then sue the manufacturer after u hit a mail box and it won't steer straight.

Tanks can knock down trees. Humvee's flatten fences. 911's pick up ladies(maybe)

The big question for me is, how to retain a damaged keel? My first thought is rigging a harness tensioned by winches.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 19-08-2015, 01:27   #67

[QUOTE=Cap Erict3;1894237]Don't buy a Rolls Royce then sue the manufacturer after u hit a mail box and it won't steer straight.

Tanks can knock down trees. Humvee's flatten fences. 911's pick up ladies(maybe)

The big question for me is, how to retain a damaged keel? My first thought is rigging a harness tensioned by winches.

why not? Insurance company's are often quick to pay to avoid litigation remember the spilt coffee while driving that won the person several million from MacDonalds?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 09:48   #68

Interesting comments about this Oyster 825. I am amazed at the differing views of members on here as well.

I am impressed that Oyster came out with a statement, a little surprised it took so long but I should imagine they had to take legal council on it before publishing.

I am a skipper managing the build of the first Oyster 745. I have been involved from early doors and am extremely impressed by the workmanship of Oyster. My boss and I are still 100% satisfied with the choice we have made and have total faith in Oyster, the people who work with them and the build process that they follow.

We have had the boat surveyed during the build cycle and our surveyor is also satisfied with what he is seeing.

I know the area where the yacht has sunk very well and know of a number of boats that have met with trouble in the region.

I will be meeting with my PM soon so hopefully I will find out more information.
Lawrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 09:51   #69

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrieb View Post
Interesting comments about this Oyster 825. I am amazed at the differing views of members on here as well.

I am impressed that Oyster came out with a statement, a little surprised it took so long but I should imagine they had to take legal council on it before publishing.

I am a skipper managing the build of the first Oyster 745. I have been involved from early doors and am extremely impressed by the workmanship of Oyster. My boss and I are still 100% satisfied with the choice we have made and have total faith in Oyster, the people who work with them and the build process that they follow.

We have had the boat surveyed during the build cycle and our surveyor is also satisfied with what he is seeing.

I know the area where the yacht has sunk very well and know of a number of boats that have met with trouble in the region.

I will be meeting with my PM soon so hopefully I will find out more information.
Would that be Ewan Hind? If so, he's an excellent guy and ex prof skip who will give you the straight talk.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 10:39   #70

No we have a different guy who I am very impressed with as he seems to know what he's about.
Lawrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 12:28   #71

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This explains. Turkey is in fact known for cheap lemons.

b.
I agree that the Lemons are cheap in Turkey but in what regards Yacht building they made excellent yachts mostly outsourcing but also some brands that are proud to be Turkish.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 12:36   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There are a myriad of boat builders of equal or better quality compared with oyster yet we never hear of multiple incidents such as these. Last I checked, everyone has a right to question or express an opinion.
What Oyster's multiple incidents like this (hull structurally compromised) are you talking about?
Old 23-08-2015, 09:38   #73

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Oyster's multiple incidents ... (hull structurally compromised) ...
What is multiple and structural vs. what is poor design mixing up with weekend knocking on the door production is open to interpretations. Margins are margins and we are all striving to deliver value to stockholders.

I have seen a picture of a genoa turning block ripped out from the deck of a (then) new Oyster 82, ripped out together with a major chunk of the deck. Now, it did not happen in a hurricane either. Structural? Turkish job? Cosmetics? Who am I to judge.

If people very happy with what they have want to say a 2 ft hole in the deck is not a structural issue then that why CF is such an amazing place. For it probably is not.

Why I do not have such a hole in my own boat that is 30+ years old and built before the era of computer aided designs assembled in exotique locations is not beyond me though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:47   #74
cruiser

Quote:
What is multiple and structural vs. what is poor design mixing up with weekend knocking on the door production is open to interpretations. Margins are margins and we are all striving to deliver value to stockholders.

I have seen a picture of a genoa turning block ripped out from the deck of a (then) new Oyster 82, ripped out together with a major chunk of the deck. Now, it did not happen in a hurricane either. Structural? Turkish job? Cosmetics? Who am I to judge.

If people very happy with what they have want to say a 2 ft hole in the deck is not a structural issue then that why CF is such an amazing place. For it probably is not.

Why I do not have such a hole in my own boat that is 30+ years old and built before the era of computer aided designs assembled in exotique locations is not beyond me though.

b.
Let's see the picture? If it was on an 82, couldn't have been a "Turkish job," as you call it... Since the 82 is built in England.

Please produce the picture of the 82 with the two foot gaping hole in the deck... Inquiring eyes and minds await.

Please... Do show us. ;-)
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 13:57   #75

Quote:

.... assembled in exotique locations is not beyond me though.

b.
I don't know about the rest but I do know that your image of Turkey as an exotique location to build quality yachts or the idea that Turkish yacht building industry is low quality is at least some decades out of date:

"Turkey ranks third in the world in megayacht making business after Holland and Italy, with a 9% market share.

Turkey has sailed ahead of many European countries as a leader in the megayacht building and marketing race, as remarkable growth in the yachting sector showed Turkey ranking third among Europe’s largest producers of megayachts, following Italy and the Netherlands. Business in the local sector has reached an annual volume of 300 million euros.
"

- See more at: Yachts Built in Turkey - Turkish Megayachts | Denison Yacht Sales

Mega yachts are high quality multi million yachts that require high quality technologically skilled workmanship.

Even in what regards production high quality boats Euphoria yachts or even Azuree have a very high standard. Both are not only made in Turkey as they are Turkish brands.

Euphoria

Tags
oyster