Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2015, 14:32   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Only the production of the Oyster 125, of which only one has been built for the former owner of the company. The Oyster 100ft might also be built in Turkey. Otherwise ,all Oysters except for just a few that were built in New Zealand in the early 2000's, are and have been built in England.
My bad. Thanks for the clarification Ken.

Old 16-08-2015, 14:43   #47
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I really liked Oyster's response to the situation:

Southampton, July 24 2015

24 July 2015

Oyster Marine Ltd.
, regrets to report that Polina Star III – an extended 90ft version of the Oyster 825, launched in May 2014 – suffered a serious incident which compromised the integrity of the moulded hull off the East Coast of Spain on July 3rd and was lost the following day. All five crew members were safely recovered. Our thanks go out to the Spanish Coastguard for their professional assistance.
Oyster Marine takes this loss, the first of its kind in the Company’s 42 year history, with the utmost seriousness and has commenced an investigation to establish the cause. Diving inspections of the hull on the seabed have been undertaken and through this the possibility of impact with an underwater object propagating structural failure has not been ruled out. Recovery of the vessel will facilitate further detailed investigation.

Oyster used industry standard Classification Society rules for the design of the vessel and the calculations have been analysed by an independent expert in composite construction. He has verified that the design, which incorporates an internal structure not used in any other Oyster yachts, has appropriate safety factors. Another expert in composites has been engaged to provide a finite element analysis, which is being supported by ultrasonic tests and inspections of mouldings of the other Oyster 825s. Oyster is also in discussion with another Classification Society for an overall review of the design and the processes being used now to establish cause and a senior composite surveyor, recently retired from Lloyds Register, will assist in the verification process.

Oyster has no reason to believe that any other yachts in the range are in any way at risk. The structures and mouldings of the other Oyster 825s (two currently on the water and three in build) are being investigated to ensure that these yachts are safe, seaworthy and built to the exacting design standards that Oyster adopts.
The safety and integrity of all Oyster Yachts is our absolute priority at all times. We will do everything possible to establish the cause of this unfortunate loss. All Oyster owners can be sure that the Company is fully committed to building the finest luxury yachts which are, above all, totally seaworthy in all conditions.

David Tydeman, Chief Executive

Southampton, July 24 2015 | News | Oyster Yachts

Old 16-08-2015, 14:45   #48

Boat: OEM, proportional

"exacting design standards"

CEO: Exactly how much profit can we expect, Herr Accountant?

CFO: Depends how tight to society rules we can build, Boss.

CEO: Make it so!
Old 16-08-2015, 15:36   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
From the article:
‘Oyster has no reason to believe that any other yachts in the range are in any way at risk. The structures and mouldings of the other Oyster 825s (two currently on the water and three in build) are being investigated to ensure that these yachts are safe, seaworthy and built to the exacting design standards that Oyster adopts.’
Read more at Oyster Yacht sank after 'incident that compromised hull integrity'

Like I wrote earlier... None of us who own an Oyster are loosing any sleep over this incident.

The last time I checked... Our boat was a 53, and had not yet grown to be a one-of 82 footer that had been extended to a 90 footer.

Ken
That's a fair way from what you said before, which was that the cause was
"a design element that hasn't been incorporated into the regular production line."

As far as I can make out, Oyster hasn't been able to either ascertain or rule out any possible cause for this.

I also wonder how qualified you are to speak for everyone who owns an Oyster...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 16:11   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That's a fair way from what you said before, which was that the cause was
"a design element that hasn't been incorporated into the regular production line."

As far as I can make out, Oyster hasn't been able to either ascertain or rule out any possible cause for this.

I also wonder how qualified you are to speak for everyone who owns an Oyster...
Here's the article, please read it carefully and let me know if you need help understanding it... Especially the part which reads as follows: "THE DESIGN INCORPORATES AN INTERNAL STRUCTURE NOT SEEN IN ANY OTHER OYSTER YACHT."

Here it is:

Oyster 825 sailing yacht sinks off of Spain
13 August 2015 by Risa Merl
What caused a nearly new Oyster sailing yacht, Polina Star III, to sink in early July off the coast of Spain? According to UK builder Oyster Marine, the sinking – the first in the company’s 42-year history – might have been caused by the yacht hitting an underwater object the day prior.

A 27.43 metre version of the Oyster 825 series, Polina Star III was launched in May 2014. Oyster Marine reports that the yacht “suffered a serious incident which compromised the moulded hull” on July 3 and sunk the following day on July 4. There were five crew members on board who were rescued by the Spanish Coast Guard.

Oyster is now conducting an investigation to find the cause of the sinking of Polina Star III. Divers inspecting the hull of Polina Star III where she rests on the seabed have reported back findings that suggest the possibility of previous damage.

Polina Star Iii Oyster Yacht Sinking
Oyster yacht Polina Star III
“The possibility of impact with an underwater object propagating structural failure has not been ruled out,” says David Tydeman, CEO of Oyster Marine. “Recovery of the vessel will facilitate further detailed investigation.”

As was seen with the loss of sailing yacht Cheeki Rafiki, previous structural damage that goes unchecked can lead to sinking.

Polina Star III is an extended Oyster 825, a 27 metre version of the standard 25 metre yacht. The design incorporates an internal structure not seen in any other Oyster yacht. In his statement, David Tydeman says that an independent expert in composite construction has analysed the design of the yacht and verified she has the appropriate safety factors.

Oyster is also investigating the structures and mouldings of the other Oyster 825 yachts, of which two are launched and three in build, but Tydeman says, “Oyster has no reason to believe that any other yachts in the range are in any way at risk.”

“The safety and integrity of all Oyster Yachts is our absolute priority at all times,” says David Tydeman. “We will do everything possible to establish the cause of this unfortunate loss. All Oyster owners can be sure that the company is fully committed to building the finest luxury yachts which are, above all, totally seaworthy in all conditions.”
Old 16-08-2015, 16:20   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I can understand it perfectly well, thanks.

At this point in time Oyster doesn't know what caused the sinking.

Apparently, you think you do. Maybe you should contact Oyster.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 16:57   #52

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
"exacting design standards"

CEO: Exactly how much profit can we expect, Herr Accountant?

CFO: Depends how tight to society rules we can build, Boss.

CEO: Make it so!
I'm pretty sure that kind of thinking isn't going on here. It's obvious to anyone who takes a look anywhere on deck, in the saloon or under the bilges of my boat that there were lots of opportunities for cost cutting that weren't taken when they easily could have been. The culture of the company, which I believe still exists, is to do it right and to a high standard as a priority with a lot less eagerness to shave cost and cut corners than can be seen elsewhere in boat building.

When we know some more facts then we can make meaningful judgement of what happened. All we know is the hull got "compromised" and the boat sank. That's pretty scant information. Boats sink - it must be several a day around the world, all with their own story. Let's wait for the recovery of the wreck. At least there should be a lesson to learn, unlike with so many others.
Old 16-08-2015, 20:31   #53

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I'm pretty sure that kind of thinking isn't going on here. It's obvious to anyone who takes a look anywhere on deck, in the saloon or under the bilges of my boat that there were lots of opportunities for cost cutting that weren't taken when they easily could have been. The culture of the company, which I believe still exists, is to do it right and to a high standard as a priority with a lot less eagerness to shave cost and cut corners than can be seen elsewhere in boat building.

When we know some more facts then we can make meaningful judgement of what happened. All we know is the hull got "compromised" and the boat sank. That's pretty scant information. Boats sink - it must be several a day around the world, all with their own story. Let's wait for the recovery of the wreck. At least there should be a lesson to learn, unlike with so many others.
At last an impartial voice amongst the baying of the hounds. I would hazard that those of you who accuse us Oyster owners of "being in denial," have never sailed one. To correct that situation I would be happy to offer anyone of you a tour aboard and a sail which, if it does not change your opinion, at least will allow us to part as friends.

Those who are not interested in my offer please confine your opinions to subjects you know something about.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 16-08-2015, 20:39   #54

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
At last an impartial voice amongst the baying of the hounds. I would hazard that those of you who accuse us Oyster owners of "being in denial," have never sailed one. To correct that situation I would be happy to offer anyone of you a tour aboard and a sail which, if it does not change your opinion, at least will allow us to part as friends.

Those who are not interested in my offer please confine your opinions to subjects you know something about.

Cheers.

Dhillen
Isn't that the equivalent of saying ' if you don't own an oyster, your opinion is worthless'?

Reading a prior post in which the company says, to paraphrase, no problem and we are investigating, it sounds like the marketing dept. is working overtime.

There are a myriad of boat builders of equal or better quality compared with oyster yet we never hear of multiple incidents such as these. Last I checked, everyone has a right to question or express an opinion.
Old 16-08-2015, 21:47   #55

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
There are a myriad of boat builders of equal or better quality compared with oyster yet we never hear of multiple incidents such as these. Last I checked, everyone has a right to question or express an opinion.
That was true the last time I checked too, as was correcting opinions that appear to have no basis in fact or are maybe based on the "type" of people (or their financial status) who own any particular brand of boat. Which "multiple incidents" involving Oysters are you referring to? Maybe there are in fact others, but thus far in this thread I've only read about one which we don't yet know much about. Perhaps you have information to refute the several Oyster owners' reports of high build quality, or maybe the co.'s claim of no sinkings in 42 years?
Old 16-08-2015, 22:49   #56
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post

I really liked Oyster's response to the situation:
I dunno, sure reads like a typical Press Release, to me... Something written by a committee, which apparently took 3 weeks to produce :-)

This statement, in particular, makes little sense:

"Oyster Marine takes this loss, the first of its kind in the Company’s 42 year history, with the utmost seriousness and has commenced an investigation to establish the cause. Diving inspections of the hull on the seabed have been undertaken and through this the possibility of impact with an underwater object propagating structural failure has not been ruled out. "

Since it is known that a a 55 sank several years ago after hitting a growler near South Georgia - which would qualify as an "impact with an underwater object", seems to me - by declaring the loss of POLINA STAR "the first of its kind", they have in effect already ruled out hitting something as being the cause of the sinking, no?

Just a hunch, but I'd bet a few of the crew of POLINA STAR have a pretty good idea what likely "propagated the structural failure"...

And, you've gotta love the richness of the irony in their choice of the word "propagate", in this instance... It's the root of the term "PROPAGANDA", after all...

;-)

When all is said and done, however, seems to me that Oyster enjoys a pretty stellar record for safety and the integrity of their yachts, overall... I, too, would be interested in hearing more about the supposed "multiple incidents" similar to the loss of POLINA STAR that S/V Illusion has alluded to...
Old 16-08-2015, 23:01   #57

Boat: OEM, proportional

How many Oysters are out there?
Old 17-08-2015, 03:52   #58

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
How many Oysters are out there?
Based on sales data a few years ago and extrapolating forwards with a guesstimate I get to around 1,500 to 1,600.
Old 17-08-2015, 04:51   #59

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Isn't that the equivalent of saying ' if you don't own an oyster, your opinion is worthless'?

Reading a prior post in which the company says, to paraphrase, no problem and we are investigating, it sounds like the marketing dept. is working overtime.

Not so. Or if it is, then can we have examples with data? Sounds like handwaving to me. And "myriad"… hyperbole much?

Whatever crowing occurs over this incident, denying that Oysters are typically superb vehicles is disingenuous and has the smack of shoulderchip about it. Not that sailing an Alden 50 should count you among that lot…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 17:14   #60

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post

Cheers.

Dhillen
Aw come on now if we all did that there'd be nothing to talk about on this site.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
oyster

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: