Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 11:03   #136
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
....15 mm.....and the thickness of the fiberglass of the frames into the stub about 6 mm....
Those scantlings are kinda like a Beneteau hull readings ,no offense, keel stubs and the adjacent areas around the keel are very prone to massive loads and stress , is not so difficult to see around 1/1/2 inch or even 2 inch of solid glass in some keel stubs, they are by nature one of the most solid and thick part of the boat if not the first ,also I note the material used to make the beams , partitions, stringers, Divinicell????? in the keel area??
__________________

__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:36   #137
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,763
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Those scantlings are kinda like a Beneteau hull readings ,no offense, keel stubs and the adjacent areas around the keel are very prone to massive loads and stress , is not so difficult to see around 1/1/2 inch or even 2 inch of solid glass in some keel stubs, they are by nature one of the most solid and thick part of the boat if not the first ,also I note the material used to make the beams , partitions, stringers, Divinicell????? in the keel area??
So it seems it is all the same. Beneteaus are built like Oysters. So why buy Oysters? buy Beneteaus instead that are a lot cheaper

I don't know if the beams, keel structure or stringers are well dimensioned but it is obvious that divinicell or some type of similar material was used to shape the beams and the composite was layered over it.

Obviously it is not the divinicel that gives strength but the layers of composite over it. However that strength has also to do with the shape of the piece and again, that's why divinicel was used to give it the better shape.
__________________

Polux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:40   #138
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oyster Problems?

Nahhh, 10 mm is a bene hull , could be they make a mistake in the hull layup in the Polina Star, 15 mm in a 82 ft or 90 ft STUB is like WTF!!!!
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:46   #139
Registered User
 
Travis McGee's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jax, FL
Boat: 48' steel cutter
Posts: 291
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Looks like you have a spare keel... Just in case.
Damn right. And they have taken a lot of stout knocks on coral, rocks etc over the past 30,000 or so miles in the Atlantic and Pacific, and they are still on. Having a strong steel hull gives great peace of mind out in ugly weather and around hard ground and rocks. This Oyster tale (and Bene tales) make me glad I built in steel 20+ years ago. I've never regretted it. I've also had no leaks, cracks, rotting decks etc. You can get cobwebs in the bilge.

__________________
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:54   #140
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Caribbean
Boat: Oyster 66
Posts: 973
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Nahhh, 10 mm is a bene hull , could be they make a mistake in the hull layup in the Polina Star, 15 mm in a 82 ft or 90 ft STUB is like WTF!!!!
Yes, mine as I mentioned above is 32mm a bit away from the keel stub. At the keel, if it is a bit thicker then it may be 40mm and for a boat that is 60% the size of the Polina Star. So pro-rata it up you should have say 60mm instead of 15mm. (I know in truth it is not linear).

I still make the point though that will a well designed keel reinforcement that spreads the load to the hull stringers and ribs effectively that the skin thickness should still be adequate. I think more than one thing has gone wrong here.
__________________
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 12:45   #141
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,763
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
....15 mm.....and the thickness of the fiberglass of the frames into the stub about 6 mm....
Where do you get those measures? They were measured on the spot? You mean 15mm on the thickest part of the hull? From the pictures it seems to me that the boat is cored even below waterline. Are you talking about of 15mm on each side of the core?
Polux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:03   #142
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oyster Problems?

So, its solid glass below the waterline?
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:11   #143
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Re: Oyster Problems?

15 mm is the thickness of the hull below the water line (single skin) in the broken area an it is the thickness of the stub as well......I know it seem absurd, specially knowing that it is polyester resin wet laminated by hand....honestly I'm not surprised to know that, after the accident, they secretly added layers in the bilges of the other 825......unfortunately nobody knows something about how many layers and where......
__________________
Alessiocannoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:17   #144
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
15 mm is the thickness of the hull below the water line (single skin) in the broken area an it is the thickness of the stub as well......I know it seem absurd, specially knowing that it is polyester resin wet laminated by hand....honestly I'm not surprised to know that, after the accident, they secretly added layers in the bilges of the other 825......unfortunately nobody knows something about how many layers and where......
As far I know those Oysters hulls are vacuum infused ,, i doubt very much they are hand layup.....
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:46   #145
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Re: Oyster Problems?

Maybe you are right, my information about the way their subcontractor laminate the hull come from somebody who spent about 20 years in Oyster tachnical department, unfortunately we have not technical info from the shipyard technicians.....
__________________
Alessiocannoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:50   #146
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 16
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
So, its solid glass below the waterline?
Solid???????if you mean single skin, yes!
Sorry, I'm not good in English; in Italian "solido" means something that's difficult to break......
__________________
Alessiocannoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:17   #147
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,763
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
Solid???????i.... in Italian "solido" means something that's difficult to break......
,,
Polux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:29   #148
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
Solid???????if you mean single skin, yes!
Sorry, I'm not good in English; in Italian "solido" means something that's difficult to break......
Its a way to talk around shipyards , solid single skin or cored hull, I mean yeah single skin , difficult to break?? don't take by granted ..
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 16:06   #149
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oyster Problems?

Well this is something worth to see by yourself and judge by yourself.... I cant believe how Oyster , a reputable yacht builder can make this cascade of mistakes, this is a $$$$$$ boat build like a piece of crap... I try to convice myself that this can be just a isolated mistake from the production line but to be honest I have no idea and I hope no other Oyster 825 are build like this one, the list of offenders is huge ,,,starting for those insane criminals 15 mm of laminate thicknes around the keel and hull bottom and following with wide areas of no resin at all in the laminate, 5 mm in the keel stub partitions , cant belive that!! and a funny and long aft keel bolt.... in sum, this boat should never have left the factory ... now the question to me is if the rest of Oysters around here and there are made like this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG4196_1000.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	114107   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5147_1000.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	114108  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5176_1000.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	114109   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5203_1000.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	114110  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5248_1000.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	114111   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5258_1000.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	114112  

Click image for larger version

Name:	keel1_oyster825_02.gif
Views:	266
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	114113  
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 16:18   #150
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Well this is something worth to see by yourself and judge by yourself.... I cant believe how Oyster , a reputable yacht builder can make this cascade of mistakes, this is a $$$$$$ boat build like a piece of crap... I try to convice myself that this can be just a isolated mistake from the production line but to be honest I have no idea and I hope no other Oyster 825 are build like this one, the list of offenders is huge ,,,starting for those insane criminals 15 mm of laminate thicknes around the keel and hull bottom and following with wide areas of no resin at all in the laminate, 5 mm in the keel stub partitions , cant belive that!! and a funny and long aft keel bolt.... in sum, this boat should never have left the factory ... now the question to me is if the rest of Oysters around here and there are made like this one.....
In some earlier posts, I've seen some references made to "Russia"... Now, I see the diagram posted appears to be in Russian...

Was this work actually done in Russia, or farmed out to a Russian subcontractor?
__________________

__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oyster

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oyster 53 vs Oyster 56 thoreed Monohull Sailboats 7 08-03-2015 22:09
Oyster Lightwave 48 - Thoughts? NTD Monohull Sailboats 15 24-02-2010 15:47
Oyster Sloop Christeen (1883) Soundbounder Off Topic Forum 0 16-04-2009 07:54
Oyster 41 Talbot Monohull Sailboats 10 06-10-2008 18:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.