Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2015, 10:45   #31

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Re: Open warfare in Puerto Vallarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
Mr. Held says, "One of the few things Hitler did right, legalize all drugs,
I would sure like to know the source for this..
I had been repeating this statement for years, thought I first heard it on a TV documentary, this is the first time anybody has called me on it. Looking online, I can't find much except that drug use was very widespread in Hitlers Germany, he was a drug addict himself, but a quick search, can't find anything about legalization for the reason of reducing organized crime. When I heard it, it made sense to me, and I repeated it often, never been called to the carpet on it, I'll have to do more research before I use it again. sorry.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46   #32

Boat: Finally boatless & back in the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Legalizing would reduce the violence level on the US side of the border, hard to say what would happen in Mexico as a result.
Mexico certainly doesn't care what problems they cause us by being such a corrupt and backward country and I most certainly don't care what problems we cause them when trying to clean up our messes. What happens in Mexico should not even be considered when solving US problems...
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07   #33

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Hitler was a bit of a prude
Not unless you count getting wee'ed on prudish behavior.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:19   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Mexico certainly doesn't care what problems they cause us by being such a corrupt and backward country and I most certainly don't care what problems we cause them when trying to clean up our messes. What happens in Mexico should not even be considered when solving US problems...
Before you call some other place corrupt and backward take a close look much closer to where you are standing.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:29   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Good answer DeepFrz. I was having serious issues with this also.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

He told me he used to think Steve was wrong, but the truth is, now Steve owns a marina, and he works for him.
Yup, sure can wait to Tech My Children Well that great lesson. Thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 08-04-2015, 12:01   #37

Amazing. An attack by criminals on police in Mexico with high powered weaponry descends into an argument about the drug war, legalization of drugs and ineptness of government.

We have what appears to be the makings of a failed State south of our border, with an insurgency armed to the teeth.

Best the U.S. is prepared to protect our border with everything we have, and don't wait too long before intelligence and the material necessary to fight back and win is provided to the Mexican government.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:04   #38

I appreciate the news.

I am tired of the orations.

I certainly hope the tirades will stop.

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:42   #39
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I think it is very unsafe to assume that the attacks on tourists in Mexico are largely, let alone exclusively drug-related. Here are a couple of articles that I recall concerning incidents where Canadians were targeted in Mexico in robberies:

Sheila Nabb beating in Mexico latest in string of violence against Canadians | National Post

Canadian couple slain during robbery at their home in popular Mexico retirement community | National Post

There have been many more reported over the last several years, including another retired Canadian couple who, while staying at a hotel frequented by retirees in Mexico City, were shot by armed robbers in the lobby of their hotel. The fact there is also an ongoing drug war where large numbers of police officers are being killed in public places does not, in my opinion, detract from the danger to tourists who are not involved in drugs; surely it adds to the dangers due to the risk of being shot by cartel members who would view the loss of the lives of innocent bystanders as collateral damage, if not the result of deliberate efforts to eliminate witnesses to their crimes.

Yes, there are other very unsafe areas to travel. However, we do people a disservice by suggesting that the attacks on tourists in Mexico are somehow their own responsiblity by being involved in drugs.

Brad
Old 08-04-2015, 13:24   #40

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I hope this doesn't go on for as long as the global warming enthusiasts's thread.

Ayn Rand
Old 08-04-2015, 13:51   #41

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

Spent five weeks in PV this winter. Loved it. Drove up to Guadalajara for a few days as well. Felt safe the whole trip.

But then I do crazy stuff like that, heck three years ago I spent two weeks in Oklahoma City!

Doug
Old 08-04-2015, 14:20   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I agree that making drugs illegal is pointless. The massive amounts of money that can be generated by producing and trading drugs is the true cause of the crimes. The massive amount of money that we spend on law enforcement in a futile attempt to stop the drug trade is also pointless and a massive waste.

Imagine all the social problems we could at least partially cure or fully cure with the money we spend on law enforcement.

Imagine Mexico without all the massive amounts of violence and government corruption caused by the cartels illegal drug trade. Wouldn't the citizens of Mexico be far better off without all the money that the cartels use to buy weapons, power and influence?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 08-04-2015, 15:02   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I agree that making drugs illegal is pointless. The massive amounts of money that can be generated by producing and trading drugs is the true cause of the crimes. The massive amount of money that we spend on law enforcement in a futile attempt to stop the drug trade is also pointless and a massive waste.

Imagine all the social problems we could at least partially cure or fully cure with the money we spend on law enforcement.

Imagine Mexico without all the massive amounts of violence and government corruption caused by the cartels illegal drug trade. Wouldn't the citizens of Mexico be far better off without all the money that the cartels use to buy weapons, power and influence?
This is the point of the discussion. One person wants to blame Mexico for being corrupt. It is clearly our drug addiction and our ability to send weapons down there that is causing a lot of their problems. Our inability to deal effectively with our drug problem is a major cause of their violence problem. In a very real sense we deny that we even have a drug problem by blaming it on the supply routes or the growers in Columbia. Why not deal with the root of the problem, the addiction issue, the inner city problems, the unemployment issues and the growing disparity between the rich and the poor. Why continue to throw money at the defense contractors the weapons manufacturers and the already rich corporations. but hey, where's the profit in educational programs.

Imagine Mexico without all our money being sent to the drug cartels. Financing their weapons and murderous ways. It wouldn't be perfect but I believe it would be a lot better. I do wonder what Mexico would do with all the killers we helped create.
Old 08-04-2015, 15:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
how many tourists were wiped out in this
escapade.
As i read this comment, i thought it was nasty. Sometimes when you write on the computer the real meaning is lost. Why do so many threads have to take a turn for the worse.
Old 08-04-2015, 23:13   #45

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

someone mentioned the Disease of addiction. can you cure Cancer By killing 1/3 of the victims? No, the same with addiction. But there is remission ( speaking form first hand experience.)
Most crime is caused by oppression. The oppression used by the greedy people who want more than they could ever use. The same Disease of addiction, just another type of drug.

Then there are the blind ones. Who look down on those with miss fortune, with distaste and put a wall up around themselves and say go away we don't want you here. Some even give a beggar a dollar and pat them selves on the back and turn around and vote for another war. They are the ones at fault, but don't know it. They see their own struggle for comfort and don't even realize how much is taken from the rest of the world to give them the opulent excess they think is "just comfort."
For every dollar you have more than you need someone else is doing without. America consumes 40% of the WORLDS recourses, yet we are only 5% of the worlds population. The American people didn't ask the other 95% for their contribution. Capitalism took it by taking advantage of their misfortune. look at NAFTA.

Those Mexican people mentioned, that aren't in the drug running, aren't affected? Go LIVE with them and say that again. You can't judge a man till you've walked in his shoes. Good or bad!

I've lived rich I've lived poor in the USA and other countries. I've done good things I've done bad things. I've learned that No one is good or bad. There are only some sicker than others. sickness is not a moral issue. A social disease can only be helped with compassionate understanding and a helping hand.

A drug addict in remission PEACE LUV & HAPPINSS
Closed Thread

Tags
puerto vallarta