Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 18:20   #106

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am still stuff if I know how those that think they can cruise on $500 per month can just pluck 3 extra months budget outta their bums for these type of unexpected repairs.
because those cruising on 500/month are not going to pull up to a riggers and say fix it... they will effect repairs themselves, on the hook, when the necessary materials can be procured

if you did all this work yourself what would the materials cost? $400...

congrats on making it around in a bendyboat, you are a braver man then i
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 19:28   #107

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Mark, sorry for the late reply... I just found out. Man I wish we were down there to buy you a beer or five! What an amazing achievement! Please take the time to realize what a great accomplishment this is, and to let yourself feel proud... Just make sure your head can still fit through the companionway! Your handling of the forestay breakage was perfect, but consider adding a halyard or two while under repair...it can't hurt...much. I think it's safe to say we are ALL proud of you here, and glad to call you a friend! Bask in the Sun all you can, and then get your arse around again! Congrats my friend! Chris and Marisa

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 20:56   #108

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Rigging Fix

Hi Mark,
After hurricane Luis in Spt 1995 I had broken rigging and had to replace 2. Did everything myself, norsemen fittings, as $$ were at a minimum and had other damage as well. Can be done if one has to. This kept me close to the $500/mnth budget for then (original thread was mine) You are fortunate you have the finances to let "riggers" do it for you.So congrads again on your achievement but other cruisers make a plan which suits their pocket when they have to . That is their way and the only way they too can follow a dream and cruise. Don't knock them. That part ruined your sory.
Clyde
Old 24-12-2010, 21:08   #109

Boat: Beneteau 50
Just saw this thread...

Congratulations Mark on an amazing achievement!

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 02:08   #110

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Nice piece of work

Well played Mark. It appears those Benes are over-specced. You didn't really need that forestay, as it turns out.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 02:13   #111

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate nuh uh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok;
Hi Mark,.. That part ruined your story. Clyde
Didn't ruin it for me. It's a legitimate point. That's why I quit reading those "how little you can cruise on" threads, Clyde. $500 a month might allow you to live well enough on the hook down in the keys somewhere (or in many places worldwide, you'd be rich as a king) but you're not traveling much, and certainly not around the world. At the very least these ever-more-common cruising permit fees put an end to that stuff for the cruiser of modest means.

Made me think some more on those screw together terminal fittings though while still ashore with access to $ and wholesale parts and the mast on the ground.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 03:26   #112
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Did everything myself, norsemen fittings, as $$ were at a minimum and had other damage as well. Can be done if one has to.

Clyde

Well done for doing it yourself, Clyde I didn't even think of being able to do it myself.

I'll see what I can do myself for the other shrouds and backstays when I do them, but I may chicken out and get them done.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 03:35   #113

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Huge effort Mark!!! You are an inspirational sailer !!!
An amazing way to safely end the trip, with a broken forestay!!!
Big congratulations and a firm "virtual handshake" brother.
Merry Christmas and a very Happy new year to you Mark.
From Keith.
Old 25-12-2010, 03:56   #114

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Amazing Mark, I have truely enjoyed following your trip, here and on your website. When you are ready to got going again, and if you plan on visiting new areas, I would be more than happy to show you around Nova Scotia.

For that matter anyone coming through this way, drop me a PM and I will make sure you have a place to tie up for a night or two.

Again, Congratulations Mark and Merry Christmas.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 04:03   #115

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
SXM

Hi Mark, Well done again,WAS just making a point. We sailed 10000 miles and 7 years in Caribbean damaged 3 times by hurricanes yet survived on the "said amount". Had to learn a lot from other yachties. There was 1200 boats in the Simpson Bay lagoon"hurricane hole"prior to hurricane Luis, cat 4, in Sept 1995, only 70 still floating 30 hours later, so many yachties had to do their own salvaging,repairs etc.
One such character was an Aussie called Andy who was always tied up onto Snoopy Island. I would be interested to know if he is still in the lagoon.
Regards,
Clyde
Old 25-12-2010, 04:31   #116

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Well done for doing it yourself, Clyde I didn't even think of being able to do it myself.

I'll see what I can do myself for the other shrouds and backstays when I do them, but I may chicken out and get them done.

Mark

Once the dust settles and the post rally parties are over it might be worthwhile spending some time up the mast checking the relative angles of the roll swage and the wire. Your break suggests that they might be pointing in different directions, or to put it another way, that the wire bends a little as it exits the swage.

If that is the case then the forestay mast fitting might need attention first.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 04:42   #117
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
Looking forward to hearing more about the leg.
Conrad

There were a number of reasons why I chose the route I did and why I was slow.

The hull needs to the done. Its nearly a year overdue.
The genoa is UV damaged and I would like it to hang in for a few more months before I replace it.
I don't have spare sails if I rip it.
Sailing single handed is not as efficient as one is much slower in correcting the course and wind shifts etc.
The weather was for South Westerly winds (on the nose) at 25 to 35 knots. or South west of that, nothing. Trade winds below 17 degrees south. That changes to 15 degrees south and then 13 degrees south.

A few days before the ARC the weather changed and it was obviously going to drop to nothing one area, or a storm in the rest of the Atlantic.
I had stupidly not filled with fuel on arrival as I wanted to top up with water. So with the ARC boats about I could NOT fuel till the day after they left.
The ARC left of decreasing winds and 24 hours later when I got out they were plummeting and went lower.

A few boats went right over to the African coast and hugged the 200 fathom depth line down the coast and around Cape Verde Islands and across on the trade winds. Just catching it all in time for a great run.

The big racing boats went on the rhumb line and a Swan 80 that got line honours was plugging into the 25 to 35 knots for day and only had 3 or 4 last days of tail winds. They had only 6 hours of 35 to 40 knots.

If I had a Swan of any modern type thats exactly what I would have done and it was obvious the day before the start.

I wasn't on the coast of Africa, but was fairly close and motor sailed on and off, went around the east side of Cape Verde Islands, down to 13 degrees south and then turned along the 13th parallel and went on it till 40 west.
This was about 3,400 nms instead of 2,800 miles.
Many ARC boats who went my route dropped into Cape Verd is and refueled. Thats how they arrived in St Lucia before Christmas as they were all a bit further north than me in very little wind.
I only motored a day or 2 after Cape Verd - well, I ran out of fuel! - I had 100 nms of diesel left for emergencies. Damn glad I left that in the tank

The wind then picked up and we had 25 to 30 and up to 40 knots and 45 in squalls!

By then it was a fast run in for all.

My last 300 miles, of course, affected by my forestay problem.

As a whole it was a very long passage. But I did the only thing I could do to get to the Caribbean before Christmas and without putting too much wind into the Genoa.
Others that stayed in the Canaries waiting for more wind were given a string of storms that kept the trades knocked out. None got here by Chrissy.

I had very limited cooking gas and that was a pain as it decreased variety of what I could cook. I even had some part-baked bread but couldnt heat it up! My provisioning was good, but lacked variety, and a variety of 'specials', nibbles etc.
By the way, I used less than 100 litres of fresh water. And that included showers too!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 05:04   #118

Mark,

Congrats on your journey

Great reading about how you handled the problems which got me thinking about my boat (had to look at photos to confirm it does have a spinnaker halyard )

Quote:
The genoa is UV damaged and I would like it to hang in for a few more months before I replace it.
I don't have spare sails if I rip it.
Didn't you buy a new set of sails in Thailand? Am I mistaken or did you junk the old genoa and the "new" one is now on it's last legs?
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 07:34   #119

Boat: Sceptre 41
Good job Mark!! I'm so glad you were able to save the mast!!! Good instincts. Don't know what else you could have done.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 09:29   #120

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Mark--

When you have a moment, please let us know how old your standing rigging was at the time you had your failure.

In the mean while, we hope you're having a Merry Christmas!

s/v HyLyte!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation