Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-12-2010, 11:09   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
As a whole it was a very long passage. But I did the only thing I could do to get to the Caribbean before Christmas and without putting too much wind into the Genoa.
How did you manage sleep? Did you get enough rest? That's a good spell to be out on your own. Any mermaids?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 11:39   #122

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Thanks for the more detailed accounts of the trip Mark. So much to gain from the little things! Quite an achievement and thanks for sharing.

Anytime you have more to share, let it out! Single handing, sleep/rest, scares and worries, triumphs and moral boosters (no matter how small, large, strange, or retrospectively insignificant) there's much to be gained.

As for "doing it yourself" on the rest of things, don't be afraid to engage other cruisers to tail or even haul you up. You'll find someone willing for a beer and a story or two....after. Or better yet, you haul, they swing.

Want to avoid having ss rigging failures (what, probably five or six years old?)? So long as time isn't being paid for you can get rid of the wire fittings, make some splices, use galvy (which doesn't work harden as readily, fatigue without notice, and can last 80-100 years) and slush it down once a year. You'll be cruisin for $500 in no time! Or figure the 100 or so a year it costs to have someone else do it once in however long is money well spent! Hey, it's Christmas. Throw another log on the fire and drink another toast. Job well done.

Old 25-12-2010, 11:41   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Mark:

One other thought that I had in terms of the forestay is this. Throw a rope over the spreaders, tie it in a slip knot so that it tightens around the spreader and then attach this to the forestay. From their reef the mainsail so that there are less pressures put on the mast. If the wind had held at 30 knots apparent going down wind I think you would have needed to do something like this to limp the boat home.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 12:08   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
mark check your tangs and connections and have fun -- is awesome what ye did--- i am respectful -- dont know if i have the huevos to take my boat rtw-- IS a formosa, after all......
i figure if i am able to live on a 500 dollar per month budget, is less that i use at home here and i get to save money as well just for canals and emergencies....and fees and stuff......
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 14:01   #125
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Didn't you buy a new set of sails in Thailand?
I got a new Mainsail. I couldnt afford both... I was only out by $300 but that was it.
I need a new genny now and would love to be in tahiland for a Tasker one... but dunno what the freight would be. I'll check in a few months and see who has the best deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Mark--

When you have a moment, please let us know how old your standing rigging was at the time you had your failure.
2001 boat. Ex-charter so 9 years of 'good' life. Charter people sometimes don't reef as eary as they should.
Insyurance companies sometimes ask for a 10 year replacement, dont they? Damn, they got that one right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
How did you manage sleep?
It worked out at 28 minutes per timer.
Shortly after Cape Verd Islands I saw 3 ships on the Liberia/Panama route, and then not another ship.
28 mins (dunno how I arrived at that) was fine for me. 20 minutes normally when there are ships about.
Its a benifit/cost ratio one must make comfoprtable in their own mind. Most ships go far slower than we are told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Mark:

One other thought that I had in terms of the forestay is this. Throw a rope over the spreaders, tie it in a slip knot so that it tightens around the spreader and then attach this to the forestay. .
Great idea. I didnt think of that one. Excellent idea. maybe not overly difficult to throw it up again and get it over both spreaders so it tightening around the mast.
Excellent thought, Charlie. We should all remember that one.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 14:19   #126
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Mark I think you got it better. Up then down and it is around the mast as long as the min is out of the way.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 14:36   #127

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
I have enjoyed following your travels.........please keep us up to date before you start your second trip around the world........
Old 25-12-2010, 18:54   #128

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Mark, May God Bless and Keep YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Following you since the beginning. Welcome home, truly Awesome Mark.
Old 26-12-2010, 07:31   #129

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
2001 boat. Ex-charter so 9 years of 'good' life. Charter people sometimes don't reef as eary as they should.
Insurance companies sometimes ask for a 10 year replacement, don't they? Damn, they got that one right!
Mark
Ah... Yes, 10 years is the suggested limit for rigging in the tropics, particularly if the yacht is worked hard. I'd say you did pretty well on that wire old son, but I would definately replace the rest as well; and, check the pins at the chainplates.

Cheers...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 12:19   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Did Laura Dekker really leave a week later and make the trip in 18 days??
Old 26-12-2010, 12:25   #131

Boat: Leopard 40
Congratulations on a job well done. I've been wondering where you were, when you get to this side of the pond and how you were doing.

Maje
Old 26-12-2010, 12:40   #132
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
laura dekker isnt sailing abendytoy. she is also YOUNGER than markj.......
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 12:43   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Did Laura Dekker really leave a week later and make the trip in 18 days??
Laura Dekker arrived in Sint Maarten, after sailing the Atlantic from the Cape Verde Islands aboard Guppy, a Jeanneau Ginfizz.
Laura & Guppy - Google Maps

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 13:01   #134
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Laura is in the marina just over the Lagoon for me. I thought my boat had lots of Goose Barnacles on her, but Lauras has been invaded!!!! I dare say she and I could do with a day or 2 in the same bay with crystal clear water, white sand and lots of hungry parrot fish!!!!!!!!!

She was definitly here before me because I saw her boat tied up at the yacht club dinghy dock when I came in through the bridge. But I dont know when she left Cape Verde.
If she has new sails (and why wouldn’t she as she is at the beginning of her trip) then she could probably have gone well north of me and made better time in the South Westerly’s.

Also she is Dutch, she wouldn't have been able to understand Herb

I am sure she's a great kid, I just continually worry about the next younger one trying to 'beat' her 'record'.

As for the idea she's younger therefore maybe able to sail better is not far wrong. I think I was at the height of my sailing knowledge/reflexes etc during the period I was doing World Championships etc which was 17-18 and then later when I was offshore racing till about 25.
But I think I have now learned to be far less competitive, far less challenging to the boat, far more resourceful in more things about boat ownership and cruising. But thats different to being able to raise and drop a spinnaker exactly at the right moment 6 times in a 2 hour race. But, boy I can unblock a stuffed crapper!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 13:13   #135
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Hey Mark, have you tallied up the miles for this trip? Not that it matters, just curious.

I've never posted on your threads before, but have read your blog and enjoyed your posts! Thanks, and congrats! An awsome job finishing up alone once you lost your mate...all the best for 2011!

Ralph

Tags
circumnavigation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: