Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2010, 07:58   #61

Boat: a sailing boat
I can't see how the boat being a Swan 44 or 144 matters - breakdowns happen on all sorts of boats - Swans or Bavarias. You can be sailing a brand new Wally and lose the stick, in fine weather too.

35 knots of winds sounds nothing, until we are in the Aghullas, Kuro-sivo or the Gulf Stream, or, not to look that far - in a strong tidal current that runs against the wind. And, BTW, 35 knots blowing for two days WILL generate quite some waves on its own.

The conditions of NJ look horrible these days - probably as bad as a tropical storm could be. On our side of the pond we have just had two 'un-seasonal' lows pass by and paste places as otherwise placid as Canary Islands and Madeira (over 40 casualties). Sometimes I look at OPC NOAA and all I can see is the chart covered with the kind of low pressure systems that could be used in any meto class to show people what they should avoid at all costs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 16:06   #62

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
currents and scuppers

The scuppers on kimberlite , I believe are made of frp tube. glassed in at both ends. I can't be sure since they are covered with a foam jacket.

with respect to bad currents, they are all over the world including the humbold current . There are many bad places to sail also. The Bay of biscay was one of the worst we ever encountered. Shallow water and a fetch all the way from the americas, along with a 25-30 foot tide makes for an interesting sail. I have spoken to many people who have taken weeks to get out of the bay. If I recall correctly it was about 300 miles.

eric
Old 27-02-2010, 20:03   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Im relatively new to sailing forums ...but there sure seems to be a lot of rescues latly ..is this normal levels?
Well, they don't even report about car crashes anymore.
they just happen too often.
nikolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 03:09   #64

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I do note that a drogue was deployed by one boat during the worst of it.
This seems to recommended so often here but perhaps should be deployed more often.
Certainly under the 'survival' advisory from Herb.
There seems little point in sailing above 50kts unless the seas are benign and the heading is part of the avoidance plan. Heaving to, preferably bows into wind, would be a little kindlier to crew, it's just making that decision while the fore-deck can still be accessed.
My plan, for my Cat, is to deploy from the stern then batten the hatch and leave her to it as far as possible. I have more confidence in the boat than in my ability to handsteer in difficult conditions for 70 hours or more.
Loss of boat, let alone a good life, is something we all take on as we drive into the marina. That others will risk themselves to save us from our mistakes should remind us to take due care.