Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 18:34   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
Here in WA, from what I remember, if the marina is on land leased from the state than there can only be a certain percent of the slips as liveaboard. I think around 10% or so.
It's 10% here, but at ALL marinas, public and private.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 18:55   #17

Boat: Cal 34
The Ventura West marina in Ventura, CA is 50% liveaboard. But, it was built with that ratio in mind.

They actually have permitted every other slip in the marina as liveaboard. The slips alternate so if you live there, your neighbors do not. Not a bad setup.
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 13:46   #18

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I think the marina trend towards BIG boats, BIG slips and BIG fees is going to bite them in the butt sooner rather than later. You have to be an idiot not to see the financial mess the world in general and the US in particular is in. I think that will backfire and they will go back to looking for customers to fill the slips no matter what the size is.

Its all motivated by greed.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 14:30   #19
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I agree, in the poor economic times we find ourselves these marinas are taking a huge chance changing their business model. Doesn't Texas (or California for that matter) feel the pain affecting the rest of the country?

It would make more sense to have their doors open to all boats and not to alienate anyone. The original poster's Pacific Seacraft 25' is a terrific boat which is almost a legend. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with his boat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 14:26   #20

Boat: Watkins 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
The original poster's Pacific Seacraft 25' is a terrific boat which is almost a legend. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with his boat.
From the photos that I've seen of Turtle she is better cared for than most boats in any marina.

Bring her over here to Port Lavaca. CJ's slip is still open. You know they are on a long cruise.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:10   #21

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryscrairk View Post
Same from me.
I am happy to recieve PMs but not if they are merely questions that can go on the forum.
So if you are going to pm me, you had better make it really personal..... ? ? ? ?

Normally we welcome first posts so let me just say that was one of the best non-sequiters I've seen in a while. I think the Simpsons said it best:

"Strong words. Strong bewildering words."

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 13:25   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its a case of same amount of land, more boats. Almost nowhere are new marinas being built. If you look at purely from the marina owners standpoint, larger berths in order to make more bucks makes perfect sense. They are not obligated to make smaller berths only to get less revenue. I'm not defending their actions, just looking at it from an unemotional, purely economic viewpoint.

Marina's certainly have their relatively invisible costs. Has anyone seen the cost of liability insurance premiums for businesses?..especially marinas? Hundreds of cleats just waiting for someone to stub their toe on or for someone to walk off the dock and drown. Jury decisions have pretty much seen to it that Americans are not responsible for their actions. Someone else is responsible which of course jacks up the marina owners insurance premiums which ends up getting passed on to the boat owner.

At my marina, the owner requires that owners of wood hulled boats post bonds that will pay for the disposal cost if it comes down to it. I have seen him on a few occasions have to take a crane to pull a boat out of the water, chainsaw the boat apart on land and put it in the dumpster because of non-payment and the fact that the boat has negative value meaning nobody would consider purchasing it. I really don't blame the marina owner for requiring this.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 16:20   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Just move to Australian noone cares how big or small your boat is.
To a degree. Also depends on where you live, perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
more practical business model..

Interesting stuff we have noticed and been told by a couple of Sydney marinas when we were there is that yachts themselves, unless quite large are not welcome. And its all to do with the fuel wharf! A yacht may pick ,up a tank full - 150 litres - every so often, but a big power boat may pick up 10,000 litres per month. The Caribbean is similar. Super Yachts and big motor cruisers get the red carpet rolled out...

Now look at Fishspearits's business model of economics of a marina: Structure may have a life of, say, 10 years: at $14 per foot per month a 35 foot pays $58,000 for 10 years. A 40 foot boat pays $ 67,000. A 50 foot boat pays $84,000 But here's the crunch: There is no extra fixed cost once the marina is built to house the 50 footer over the 35 footer. Consequently every marina operator wants 50 footers because at the end of 10 years he will be $26,000 per boat richer.

Figures just for fun for example only

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:21   #24

I was in Hampton Roads VA at a marina recently which two years ago was refusing to take new sailboats, they only wanted motor boats. It truely warmed my heart to see half the slips empty, and nearly half of the others had for sale signs on the (big motor) boats.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13   #25

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by decktapper View Post
I was in Hampton Roads VA at a marina recently which two years ago was refusing to take new sailboats, they only wanted motor boats. It truely warmed my heart to see half the slips empty, and nearly half of the others had for sale signs on the (big motor) boats.
Which marina was that?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43   #26
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
To the OP.

Martin, as you know our boat was at Bayland when we bought it. When I checked with our marina, they said it would need to be inspected by the dockmaster. It was however no big issue, so don't be too concerned about that. There was a Catalina 309 two slips over from me. He moved it to one of the new floating docks. Actually there are several available slips on our pier. If you are still looking, send me a pm.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:02   #27

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by decktapper View Post
Similarly..La Conner Marina kept raising their rates and ran all the live aboards off 2 years ago..it was half empty this past year and they were advertizing 6 months FREE morage for new tenants buy mid summer...I could not help but feel a little "Serves yourself right" feeling against them.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I would have thought short term they would be delighted with any boats at the moment. Isn't the credit crunch hurting the US? noticeable UK side of the pond, far fewer mobos out and about. Our neighbour who we haven't seen move his boat in 3 years just pulled her out and handed over to a broker, he is going to buy a holiday caravan instead.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
have the approval of the dock master before they can be slipped.
Get the dockmaster to take a look at your beautifully maintained little boat and get your slip.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 19:33   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I found a slip, a 38ft slip is the only one available right now at the marina we want to be at. When a 30 comes available we get first choice. Even then it's twice the price of where we were. I go in Dec 1st. I am getting everything organized and am going to attempt a float off launch( to save $200at the travel lift). My flat bed with a cradle on it requires a bit over 5' of water but at high tide I should be able to do it. I'm going to winch the trailer down the ramp seperate from the truck so keep your fingers crossed.......m