Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2008, 11:07   #1

Ok, need help on which BOAT SHOW to attend!

I have been to the 'lil' Raleigh NC show and now I wanna try to visit the big ones next year what do you recommend? I heard the Fort Lauderdale is pretty big!
Thanx!

Old 16-10-2008, 11:15   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The more shows you attend, and boats that you kick tires on. The better decision you will make for yourself.......BEST WISHES in finding the boat that will serve you well....i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 12:07   #3

The Lauderdale show is the largest show in the world with over 100 yachts over a hundred feet. There are a few catamaran builders in the show, but compared to the Miami show the show is limited if you are strictly interested in sailboats. If you love all types of boats and enjoy the "scenery" that goes with them, the Lauderdale show is great. I enjoy the Miami show as well but typically only spend time at the Strictly Sail portion at Bayside Marina.

The Lauderdale show is at the end of this month, and the Miami show comes up in February.
Old 16-10-2008, 15:15   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The Feb show in Miami tends to show the newly released electronics and gear. On the other hand, powerboats predominate greatly over sailboats. The Fort Lauderdale show is primarily $1m+ boats. The Annapolis Sailboat Show is the largest and combines equipment displays and the widest variety of boats. Unfortunately, it was last week. The Newport show is also limited in the number and variety of sailboats. My favorite (and I've been to all of them) is the Annapolis show.
Old 16-10-2008, 16:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I've not been to the Annapolis show, but it has a great rep. I have been to West Palm Beach, Ft. Liquordale, Miami and St. Pete. St. Pete has the nicest folks and best atmosphere. Miami has the best selection of blowboats, by far. Avoid Ft. Laud & West Palm unless you are looking for a very expensive motoryacht. Ft. Laud is very snooty and frankly is not worth the hassle.
Old 17-10-2008, 07:32   #6

Thanks for the input!
Old 17-10-2008, 08:15   #7

Are you looking for an East Coast show specifically? The first boat show we attended, just to kill an afternoon while vacationing in Tampa, was the the St. Pete show. (1996) The show changed our life! We live on the west coast and have attended several shows over the years but I don't think West Coast shows have as many boats in the water. We attended Strictly Sail this year in Oakland and I was surprised at how small the show was. I guess we were spoiled by that St. Pete show.

Does MISSBAJA refer to your gender or state of mind? Have you cruised Mexico/Baja?
Old 17-10-2008, 10:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
When you say Ft Lauderdale and Miami I have to ask, sail or power?
I have worked both shows for over 10 years and many others. If Sailing, specifically boats, is your focus I wouldn't waste my time at Ft Lauderdale or Miami.

If you want to see stuff you could put on your boat and by that I mean electronics or other "stuff" then you can see plenty of that but the sail portions of these shows are seriously lacking. In my opinion.

If I was to pick just one show and sailing was my passion it would be Annapolis.
Next I would go to Newport. These are two best shows to see sailboats on the east coast.....again, just my uneducated opinion.
Old 21-10-2008, 13:18   #9

I am looking for powerboat shows mainly, even tho I would love to attend the Annapolis! Doesnt matter where it is located really, I just want to enjoy the best show of the year.
Thanks again!
Old 21-10-2008, 15:18   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
We went to the Annapolis powerboat show last Friday. Boats between 16 and 60 feet were there. The segregated the boats into groupings by use - fishing, slow cruising, fast cruising, waterboarding, etc. We were intersested in looking at fast trawlers and most manufacturers were there. The Miami show probably has an equal or larger display + alot of the boats are indoors. The Miami show has a much larger equipment display and the companies introduce their new versions at that show.
Old 21-10-2008, 15:21   #11

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
As a powerboater I have attended the Miami and Annapolis shows. I would say the Miami show is much better. I think it has by far more boats and accessories. The shows I have been to have had large crowds, getting a by hotel and parking nearby have been a problem.
Good luck,
Steve
Old 24-10-2008, 09:56   #12

So you think if I want to see ACCESSORIES I should go to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?
Old 24-10-2008, 12:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
The consensus seems to be that the Annapolis show is best for sailboats and the two Florida shows are best for powerboats? I saw the Annapolis sail show a couple weeks ago...it was pretty impressive. I wish though that they had more catamarans. I would guess the ratio of monos to cats is probably around 80%/20%

One little irritating thing about the show is that there are a handful of boats that you must pre-sign up to go aboard. They should just ban that idea...seems a bit snooty. Isn't the idea of a boat show from the publics perspective, is to be allowed to go aboard boats?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: