Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2015, 16:36   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Oil Spill in Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
One thing BP did do was admit that the spill disrupted the lives of the local fishermen, shrimpers, charter fishing owners, etc. In order to get money directly into the hands of the locals and bypass attorneys, they paid $1500/day, 7 days a week for anyone with a boat and a running engine to help scout for oil. This worked out pretty well because they knew how to get around in the reeds, etc like no one else.

Fathers took their sons down to buy them a boat and small outboard and there were families making $3,000, $4,500, even $6,000 per day if they had 3 kids old enough to work. I met a number of guys who told me by the time they expected this to be all over, they would expand from owning 1 $80K charter boat to 3 or 4 of them.

As a corporation, I don't know much about BP, but Fred Lemond, BP Operations Mgr is from LA and was in charge at the Venice Command Center. I've never seen someone so passionate, professional and committed to getting it cleaned up - this was his home he was fighting for, and he really spared no expense. He was tireless - flying in helicopters overseeing spotting in the morning, signing millions of purchase requisitions, hiring fleets of air boats from FL, hiring oilmen from TX, staying up late to read reports - I don't think the poor guy slept a wink, and they used him in countless commercials.

If all executives were as committed to doing the right thing as he is, that blowout probably would never have occurred, and a lot of crappy things that happen in the business world would never be allowed to happen.

For the rest of the self serving, greedy executives, nothing will change until we make it too painful to cut corners, we need to make safety and quality the overriding thought in their minds, not shareholder profits.
Thank you, I am glad you mentioned that. Yes it is important to remember there are many very good people working in thankless jobs doing the right thing in a tough situation. I hope the manager you referred to was REWARDED by BP and not relocated. That would be the test of the company, in my book. An even better test is how hard the company works to avoid these problems in the first place or do they spend profits on lobbyists to help skirt regulations. Personal accountability, yes, I am all ears as to how to improve that in our world. The free enterprise and true competition economic model really does work when the public is well-informed and choices are readily available, but it is a (not so) closely guarded secret that we really don't have that and have not had that for... 150 years? More? As you mention, the executives are slaves to the profit margin...they should be held accountable, and shareholders should be held accountable too somehow more concretely and effectively. If my 401k invests in a company that is fined, and I get fined, even if only a little, it may make me think twice about whether I should get more involved in my employer's investments. Maybe this has veered off of a criusing thread, but this is just another thing we cannot sail away from, and I want my kids to grow up sailing on a liveable planet...

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:00   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The Santa Barbara Oil Spill will, in fact, impact any cruisers who go from SF to the Channel Is. for summer vacation and return. The oil sticks to your topsides and is fussy to remove so that it doesn't stain.

A relative works in personnel, and says she involves their plants in disaster plans. There is always resistance, she says, but such a plan would have helped in this case, allowing a faster response. I read an article which alleged that employees and the owner of the property where the leak began reported it many times, at night, and no one came till the next morning; and then it took 24 hours before they did anything.

What a shame!

Ann

Old 30-05-2015, 18:58   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The Santa Barbara Oil Spill will, in fact, impact any cruisers who go from SF to the Channel Is. for summer vacation and return. The oil sticks to your topsides and is fussy to remove so that it doesn't stain.

A relative works in personnel, and says she involves their plants in disaster plans. There is always resistance, she says, but such a plan would have helped in this case, allowing a faster response. I read an article which alleged that employees and the owner of the property where the leak began reported it many times, at night, and no one came till the next morning; and then it took 24 hours before they did anything.

What a shame!

Ann
Yes!

And while we are on it, does anyone know of a good cleaner for tar on the hull (that is still in the water) that is not itself a pollutant? Vegetable oil is the only thing I can think of but that is still an oil slick...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 19:20   #49

I know Dawn dishwashing liquid gets used a lot in oil spills, I'm not sure how effective it is compared to vegetable oil.

We used to use Simple Green in the bilges back in the Navy. IIRC, it was pretty effective without scrubbing too hard.

Tags
oil, oil spill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: