Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:24   #1

Boat: Land Locked... ugh
Oil Rig

I just heard on the news that another oil rig blew up in the Gulf. Anybody have any info???
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
All workers are reported to be safe. The rig was not in production so no news about spills.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:00   #3

Oil platform explodes off La. coast - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

Just heard about it. DRILL BABY DRILL. lol
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:46   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I've written two replies then erased them cause it is just a rant..Glad everyone is alive, hope the injuries are minor, and hopefull no more dadgum oil will spew into the Gulf.
Erika

PS Mimsy, great blog!
Old 27-12-2010, 08:26   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
I don't think that oil exploration / drilling OFFSHORE should be done anywhere in the world. The ramifications of a spill are sooo far reaching and long term. If the oceans die, we all die! Yes... this means that fuel prices might triple, as would car's MPG, just like has already happened in Europe. They get along just fine. They use public transportation more, walk more, bicycle more, and are more fit for it.

If a category 5 hurricane hits dead center the densest cluster of wells off of Texas, we cold have over a hundred destroyed platforms and runaway oil leaks at the same time!

There are already MANY thousands of capped wells in the Gulf. The steel casings and the concrete do NOT last forever in salt water, no mater what BP, Exxon, Chevron, etc. tell you. (Just look underwater at the Keys Highway pilings!)

Since becoming a liveaboard & cruiser in the 70s, I have noted a steady decline in the ocean life, reefs, and water quality everywhere. It is nothing short of alarming...

Our planet has become drastically overpopulated, and this has accentuated the need for all of us to "tread lightly on the planet". Wars over land rights & potable water are around the corner, when not already in our face!

I realize that my having abstained from procreation, using solar panels for 99% energy Independence, sailing far more than motoring, constantly trying to adopt a more "green" lifestyle, and occasionally getting on my soap box... All of these are largely symbolic and of little real use compared to the enormity of the problem.

Nevertheless, it feels better to at least try. What if everyone did?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290437 (2) - Copy.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	22295  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 08:59   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I don't think that oil exploration / drilling OFFSHORE should be done anywhere in the world. The ramifications of a spill are sooo far reaching and long term. If the oceans die, we all die! Yes... this means that fuel prices might triple, as would car's MPG, just like has already happened in Europe. They get along just fine. They use public transportation more, walk more, bicycle more, and are more fit for it.

If a category 5 hurricane hits dead center the densest cluster of wells off of Texas, we cold have over a hundred destroyed platforms and runaway oil leaks at the same time!

There are already MANY thousands of capped wells in the Gulf. The steel casings and the concrete do NOT last forever in salt water, no mater what BP, Exxon, Chevron, etc. tell you. (Just look underwater at the Keys Highway pilings!)

Since becoming a liveaboard & cruiser in the 70s, I have noted a steady decline in the ocean life, reefs, and water quality everywhere. It is nothing short of alarming...

Our planet has become drastically overpopulated, and this has accentuated the need for all of us to "tread lightly on the planet". Wars over land rights & potable water are around the corner, when not already in our face!

I realize that my having abstained from procreation, using solar panels for 99% energy Independence, sailing far more than motoring, constantly trying to adopt a more "green" lifestyle, and occasionally getting on my soap box... All of these are largely symbolic and of little real use compared to the enormity of the problem.

Mark
Mark,

Having the same surname as you--I feel for you brother, but I just can't reach you (as the saying goes)
If we didn't have the oil, you couldn't have the oil-based, resin filled, extruded glass fibered hulls you live in.
Oil also needed to extrude the masts, make the rigging, both running and standing, foam for the bunks, propane for the stove, dacron for the sails,
Material for manufacture of SOLAR panels, etc,etc.
Couldn't go back to wooden boats--no way to harvest and process the trees in any quantity.
We would have to revert to the way we lived before oil (as a massed produced product) was discovered.
The big, blue, marble would then deal with regional advances and declines such as famine, natural disaster, and war (man's inhumanity to man) in it's own time.
So we, cruising sailors could not exist, as a lifestyle.
Playing devil's advocate, when I get into this discussion with friends, I have said to others "so what if we kill all the whales?-how will that change your life quality from a practical point ot view?" BTW, I abhor that thought.
We are the product of where we chose to put ourselves, which has its problems.
Old 27-12-2010, 09:56   #7

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
The last several years of my sea going life, I serviced those Oil rigs by transporting all of their needs out and back for them on Offshore Work Boats.
We have had Hurricanes up to force 5 come through the Gulf and there were no oil spills caused by the hurricanes, even though some of the Rigs were twisted like preztels.
But when you consider the illegal dumpings by companies and people on land you will realize that the enemy is not the oil rigs but many so called clean industries that use toxic solvents and lubricants that are kept in leaking underground tanks and fouling our water supplies. Your neighbor that changes the oil in his car and dump the waste oil down a storm drain.
Have found large loads of trash in the forest because someone didn't want to cart it to the trash dump.
Have found plastic bags, bottles, etc. in our water ways because some one was to lazy to take a few steps and put the crap in available trash bins.
So when it comes to pointing the finger at any one person or industry, becareful, because you could be pointing that finger at your own family and friends.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 09:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post

Mark
Mark,
It might work for you but not for the most of the world's population.
They don't even have such solar panels. The most will be happy if they got the power of the power point.
I guess, your approach is very short. Sorry.
Old 27-12-2010, 10:01   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
But when you consider the illegal dumpings by companies and people on land you will realize that the enemy is not the oil rigs but many so called clean industries that use toxic solvents and lubricants that are kept in leaking underground tanks and fouling our water supplies. Your neighbor that changes the oil in his car and dump the waste oil down a storm drain.
Have found large loads of trash in the forest because someone didn't want to cart it to the trash dump.
Have found plastic bags, bottles, etc. in our water ways because some one was to lazy to take a few steps and put the crap in available trash bins.
So when it comes to pointing the finger at any one person or industry, becareful, because you could be pointing that finger at your own family and friends.
Hear, Hear, its always easy to point the finger at a big target but more comes from the land than the sea.. its just a lot easier to hide...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 10:06   #10

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
I was never inferring that during the decades that it will take to invent synthetic alternatives, (IF EVER), or totally new technologies, that we can get by totally without oil... only that we could get by with what is drilled on land, rather than offshore! Done safely, It comes with far less environmental risk.
With worldwide conservation, working toward about 1/3rd the current population, (over say... 150 years), and constantly applying our technology / energy in that direction, it can be done. The sacrifices are relatively minor!

I still ride a motorcycle, (65 MPG), and have not gone to the level of "treading lightly" that I haven't kept my toys. I don't advocate that for others either. (My 18hp engine in the Searunner, uses diesel too, @ 1/2 gal per hour).

I just realize that as far as what is available in alternative energy technology and energy conservation wise, every purchase we make is a vote. Alternatives to our over consumption, carbon burning technology, present themselves as the economic demand for them does. If it still takes oil to produce, (like my solar panels), but saves 90% over what would have been used in the old technology, it is a great step in the right direction.

"Treading lightly", doesn't mean not treading at all, just that we think about the long term consequences for future generations, in all aspects of the way we live our lives. "Conscious living".

We visited Scotland this summer. Their fuel was over $8 / gallon, but their vehicles were many times over more energy efficient, as were their homes & lifestyle. The infrastructure was set up such that you didn't HAVE to own a car.

IMO, IF humankind ever does get on the "survival of our species" bandwagon, the sooner the better.
That's all I was trying to say. No offense was intended to those who disagree...

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote