Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2010, 09:53   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
OceanGybe

Hi Everyone:

I just wanted to share a website that I found quite interesting. www.oceangybe.com When I met two of the three guys they were some of the most unassuming humble guys I had ever met. They were three mechanical engineers that had circumnavigated the world in three years. After college they got good jobs saved enough money to buy a boat and to fund their trip and took off. They bought the boat in La Paz, Mexico and spent seven weeks working on the boat and then took off for the South Pacific a little late in the season. I met them when they had tied the knot in Mexico and we actually sailed up the Baja Coast together.

Their adventure was planned to do the following sail, surf, and bring awareness of the damage that plastics are doing to the world's oceans. They didn't get the main stream media attention that Zach Sunderland got even though they were in South Africa at the same time. What they have done is educated people along the way of the effects that plastics are having on the Ocean and where the plastic is coming from. For example a large percentage of the plastic that washes up on the beaches in Canada comes from Japan.

They sailed their boat to San Diego and plan on sailing to Hawaii then stopping at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Pacific_Gyre on their way home to Vancouver.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 11:06   #2

Okay, you people have got to stop posting sites like this!
My bookmarks folder is full to bursting, and I am not getting anything useful done!!

(just kidding, I love reading them And officially it is useful - "research" for when we get to cruising.)
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote