Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16   #16

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p
Re: North Pacific Gyre Debris Causes Abandonment

Aren't there any crash bulkheads on a Corsair 37 ama ? (I googled it but could find any info).

It would seem a pretty easy thing to add some watertight compartments to an ama with very little weight penalty. I suppose you would then have to add a hatch but it still seems surprising for an expensive offshore capable boat not to have such a nice piece of passive protection.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:33   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
About thirty years ago, I ran over a large Alligator on a jet ski in the Ogechee river near Savannah, does that count?
I hope it was a real jetski, and not a boat with handlebars...

It counts if you left a gelcoat stripe on the gator...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:49   #18

Boat: Bristol 35

shouldn't the boat have been sunk to keep it from causing more problems in the future? or is it not possible to sink that boat? Forgive my ignorance- just wondering and don't know.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:03   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This was back thirty or so years ago. As far as I can remember there was only the Kawasaki stand up jet ski and something called a wetbike. It was the invention of the sitdown jetski that anyone could ride without any real skill, even while drunk that has in my opinion caused most of the problems we have with these people now.
Anyway I was determined to ride my ski to the ocean from the highway 17 bridge down the Ogechee, I had a friend with a small ski boat that carried extra fuel for me. I made it, but it was a long way and I was real tired coming back and if you rode right up near the reeds on the bank the water was real smooth and easier to ride. So it was there I ran over the big Gator, he started that death roll stuff right about the time I hit him. All I was trying to do was not fall on him, I'm sure he thought he was being attacked, but you know maybe he would still tear an arm or leg off of me being defensive?

Sorry for the hijack
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
This was back thirty or so years ago. As far as I can remember there was only the Kawasaki stand up jet ski and something called a wetbike. It was the invention of the sitdown jetski that anyone could ride without any real skill, even while drunk that has in my opinion caused most of the problems we have with these people now.
Anyway I was determined to ride my ski to the ocean from the highway 17 bridge down the Ogechee, I had a friend with a small ski boat that carried extra fuel for me. I made it, but it was a long way and I was real tired coming back and if you rode right up near the reeds on the bank the water was real smooth and easier to ride. So it was there I ran over the big Gator, he started that death roll stuff right about the time I hit him. All I was trying to do was not fall on him, I'm sure he thought he was being attacked, but you know maybe he would still tear an arm or leg off of me being defensive?

Sorry for the hijack
1 bazzillion % agreed...

We used to make racetracks in the tall reeds by a couple skis making slow course passes... What a blast it was racing friends with the reed walls whizzing by...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

. All I was trying to do was not fall on him, I'm sure he thought he was being attacked, but you know maybe he would still tear an arm or leg off of me being defensive?
He would have taken a chunk out of your story

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
shouldn't the boat have been sunk to keep it from causing more problems in the future? or is it not possible to sink that boat? Forgive my ignorance- just wondering and don't know.
Yeah, now its a navigation hazzard. Anyone abandoning should sink their boat. However, depending on the type of rescue it may be prudent to keep the boat afloat in case the rescue doesnt work and you are left with no option.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:04   #23

Likely Tsunami debris as more than a few of this summer's Hawaii race fleets reported seeing lots on their way over.

Just the other day a picture of part of a small boat was featured in the news.

Glad they are safe and were rescued without too much drama.
BeaMewesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:21   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

perhaps the flying debris was something from their own deck hardware and rigging??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:28   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Good point, Zee.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42   #26

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Or...maybe a log or other similar item that the starboard ama hit and the chards of carbon and glass held onto the end of said item, whilst the other end swung around (fast, pendulum like force) and flew up on deck to do the other damage.
Imagine a baseball batt being being release from a sluggers hands...now up the length and mass some...voila!
We have a BIG BANG THEORY!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:44   #27

Quote:
Anyway I was determined to ride my ski to the ocean from the highway 17 bridge down the Ogechee,...

Sorry for the hijack
After your epic gator jump, did you stop at Loves for dinner?

Since yesterday, I have been pondering what the sail boat could have hit that would have flipped into the air and hit the deck. I just don't see how a piece of wood/debris would have done this.

A sleeping whale is the only thing that makes sense. I saw a study in the last year or so that counted the number of boats sunk by whales and it was much higher than I expected. I can't find the study but if you do a Google for whales sinking boats you will find quite a few stories. Far more than I would expect. The study I read said there were from 1-10 boats sunk a year over a 10 or 20 year period. One boat a year was a surprisingly high number. Wish I could find that danged study....

I did find one study of self reported near misses and collisions that was "advertised" on Noonsite. But this study was for sailing vessels only which might be ok since it seems power boats are not hit very often. The report had 72 collisions from 2002 to 2010 but they do not state if the boats sank.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

Did they have some type of halyard slapping going on.

I read about the Essex being sunk by a bull sperm whale. Seems someone was pounding on a whaleboat on deck and the bull got territorial.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_(whaleship)

Gary
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought they slept like this, or actually swam slowly with other whales that were awake?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 13:02   #30

Boat: Wannabe 34 (BW of course)

I probably shouldn't go there, but ... If some boats witness floating debris, and some boats also have guns aboard, do said gun owners ever use the debris for target practice?

Seems like some types of floating debris (hulls, and maybe even containers) could be sunk with small arms fire. I don't own guns, so maybe this is not feasible or too dangerous (ricochet?), but it is meant to be a serious question.
libramax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, north pacific