Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 20:29   #46

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: North Pacific Gyre Debris Causes Abandonment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I'm not doubting that they hit or were hit by a whale but have you ever seen a dead head come a few feet out of the water. I have no doubt that the dead head that I saw would have put a hole in my boat or at least caused very significant damage had it hit me.
If you mean vertically floating logs which ram up and down? Plenty in the Java and South China seas, sadly, oh, and around Central America, for similar reasons. And yep, strike unlikely, but you wouldn't want to be there when a big one came plunging back up!
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 20:58   #47

Boat: 55' sloop.

Here's a vid taken by some clients of mine a few years back in Scottish waters. This was the bowriding Minke whale. The voices you can hear are those of my clients. I was at the helm. Taken about one day after we had a long encounter a superpod of around 350 white sided dolphin among other highlights of the trip (porpoise, basking shark, common dolphin, hebridean wonderfulness, and whisky). I was well tipped on that charter.

Apologies for any thread drift. Just an example of a curious whale and how close they will get to a hull. Apropos of my proposition that they may mistake a pair or more of hulls for a pair of more of boats…
Attached Files
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 21:39   #48

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I hope you noticed that I stated in opening that am in no way prejudiced against cats. And SPECIFICALLY said I didn't want some character to come on and start a pointless discussion that way… but there you go. Plenty of monos have been sunk by whales (notably the majority were wood…). I just think it stands to reason that the likelihood of whale strike/damage is somewhat higher on a cat. Don't think so? You could try an actual discussion point or argument rather than gesturing…

My personal preference for cats is the older style fast cats with a bit less of the living room in the centre, for which modern cats often sacrifice most of their other great advantages, it seems to me. They had the great advantages of a cat, being speed and stability. Yes these days the prize seems to go to great boxes of cats which look a little bit more like barges than sleek sailing vessels to my eye, and in some cases sail so poorly that they are overtaken on a reach or a run by older heavier monos of the same length! There are, however, plenty of cool, modern fast cat designs out there closer to the spirit of the thing, just flooded nearly out by the mass market living rooms on pontoons. IMHO.

But yes. PLEASE do not consider me prejudiced against cats in general. Why would I be?

And with regard to the whalewatching vessels… so what? Cats are intrinsically more profitable for such a venture. Your point?
MF I did put in a big smile and didn't take your comment that way.

However for many it can be added to the cat issues such as more stable upside down.

I suspect whalwatching vessels by their nature of getting close to whales would be more at risk if in fact it was an issue.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 22:21   #49

Boat: Skookum 53'

I've been watching the Animal planet channel and they have a documentary on Megalodon sharks, maybe one of them came up to take a bite.

Tags
men, north pacific