Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2014, 05:27   #46

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Noah Cullen lost overboard from s/v Jubilee off Key Largo

Given what we presume- that Noah was tragically electrocuted- only thing that would have been improved if someone had attempted to board the sinking vessel would have been recovering the body. That would be a pretty difficult recovery for someone to hoist a dead body out of a cabin of a sinking sailboat into another boat.

Generally a young healthy person would recover consciousness pretty quickly from a non-lethal strike, as their heart would still be beating. The heart arrythmia with a strike is an all or nothing phenomena in general- either you go into Vfib and die, or your heart converts back to regular rhythm. so if Noah wasn't responding when the other boater came close by and hailed, chance are nearly certain he was dead.
For a cardiac arrest in the field, if CPR and AICD are not applied within 1-2 min, chance of recovery is essentially nil.

So the prevention of this tragedy was in avoiding the Tstorm. Prevention of future tragedy is for all of us who thought we were protected by the so called "cone of protection" to recognize not as much as we thought.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 16:10   #47

Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Probably a powerboats who got a laugh out of a sinking sailboat. It is amazing the level of distain that many powerboaters have for sailboats and their skippers."

That's a very offensive statement. I'll consider the source and ignore it as the breaking of wind from the south end of a north bound horse.

If any of you guys would read the reports it's pretty obvious that the person who sighted the sinking sailboat reported it before leaving the scene.

I would conjecture that they made a close pass by the boat saw no one in the cockpit and got no response to their shouts. Since it was sinking, they may have been afraid to board it. They obviously gave a very accurate position to the authorities or the divers would never have found it as quickly as they did.

Little sensitive, was it you?

You don't spend any time on forums for power boaters if you think sailboaters get any love. I have, and have experienced it first hand. I'm not being critical of sailboaters, I don't appreciate the general attitude of the powerboat crowd towards sailboaters.

Now you have Conjectured. What's that a fancy name for a guess? I have a first hand account of a powerboater who bragged about leaving a couple of teenagers they knew were alive on a drifting boat off Miami, because they thought they might have been smoking marijuana and ran their boat out of gas. They were in the Gulfstream. No emergency call was made on their behalf. They didn't want to wait around and miss fishing. The post garnered plenty of support from other forum members. I was shocked by the attitude, but sadly, not suprised.

You assume the position was noted and that it had anything to do with the finding of the sailboat. Where did you get this information. IIRC it was quite a while before the sailboat was discovered.

I had a friend who worked for the Marine Sanctuary folks in the Keys. He was struck several times by lightening on a boat and obviously survived. No one knows if Noah was dead or merely unconscious in that sailboat.

I know if I saw a drifting, sinking vessel in the Keys or off Florida, I wouldn't just snap a pic on my IPhone and call it a day. I'd check the boat, and check the surrounding area. The boat didn't sail itself to sea. There has to be someone, either in the boat or in the water. I'd call the CG and hang out until they responded. That's going to be less than 1 hour anywhere in SE Florida.

The Coast Guard marks vessels that they have examined. They never got to examine the Jubilee.

maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 00:59   #48

My condolences to his family. Sounds like the maritime community lost what would have been a hell of a man. So sad.

DMC is offline   Reply With Quote

key largo, lost, overboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: