Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 10:40   #46

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

It is interesting to read the various blogs. The "government group" has castigated Andhoy for his reckless, criminal behaviour that has offended the civilized world and potentially threatens the fragile ecosystem of this preserve with the possibility of a microscopic diesel discharge in a worst case scenario. The "adventurers of the human soul" have correctly pointed out the absurdity of this logic and believe that the world would surely be a boring place if our spiritual and physical journeys were controlled by the government or someone else. The bottom line is really how do you envision life and human existence: a carefully controlled and pre-planned journey from life to death with someone else pulling the strings or a creative, challenging path to enlightenment resplendent with successes, failures, and personal growth where you have captained your own ship and have accepted responsibilities for your actions? I can assure you, in the history of Mankind, those who fall in the "government group," both past and present, have never and will never push the boundaries of music, art, literature, science or adventure, to benefit the ceaseless march of Civilization but . . . . . I bet they keep a tidy garden.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 10:43   #47

Boat: grampian 26

They did enter Canadian waters without following proper procedures. I am sure your country would have the same reaction to an incursion of its' sovereign territory unless you feel that international law does not apply to everyone.
"My house ,my rules".
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 10:44   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Nilaya/Berserk missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Landkrabbe, Disregarding government sanctions, should it really matter why he wants to go and how much he plans if he chooses to accept personal responsibility for his adventure and not rely on "governments" to save him from a possible misadventure? The issue here is government intervention in peoples lives. On a personal note, I'd think I'd like Andhoy on my Longship-- a real Viking!
Rognvald: would you please be kind enough to tell me where are you located and type and registration # of your car.
If I'm following you you are not subjecting to stopping at a red light or driving on the right side of the road (left for the Brits) etc as all this are government imposed and you are a free man not abiding to any of those government rules.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:00   #49

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Mutineer View Post
These videos are actually all from the first expeditions he made, in a 27 foot Albin Vega, and none of the people you see here (except for Andhøy) were on the 40+ foot steel Berserk that went down.

Andhøy is now 34 years old. He undertook his first expedition when he was 18, I think, in an Albin Vega. This is the trip described in the first video. On his way back, the boat sank. There were no books or TV series made from this trip.

The second expedition was in another Vega and all the footage in the second and third videos is from a TV series that was made from the crew's own recordings. This expedition went north to the arctic ice.

For the third expedition (and the second TV series) Andhøy bought a used Russian custom built steel boat in the Caribbean. He brought a whole new crew and proceeded to successfully navigate the north west passage.

Fourth expedition: same boat, new crew again, except for one person. This is the expedition you all know about.

So. That's a quick rundown for those not familliar.
Actually there was a book written about the first Antarctic voyage (in the first Vega). Berserk: By David Mercy, And it's an excellent book.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:02   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
Rognvald: would you please be kind enough to tell me where are you located and type and registration # of your car.
If I'm following you you are not subjecting to stopping at a red light or driving on the right side of the road (left for the Brits) etc as all this are government imposed and you are a free man not abiding to any of those government rules.
Alecadi, I can assure you I am a safe and courteous driver. However, I do not see the connection between the incredibly mundane task of driving a car and polar exploration. If I drive a car irresponsibly, I endanger the lives of other people on the road. If, however, I choose to explore the polar regions without government permission and accept full personal responsiblity for my actions, I only endanger myself and my willing crew. Did I miss something?
Old 27-01-2012, 11:03   #51

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkrabbe View Post
The New Zealand customs authorities and coast guard are searching for the vessel Nilaya, which is suspected to be trying to sneak its way ilegally to Antarctica (...)

(...) This sort of thing gives boaters, and Norwegians, a bad name, in my opinion. At least I feel ashamed.
I like the phrase 'illegally'. No wonder the news came from NZ. Next thing we hear will be that Norwegians are 'pests' and that the kiwi taxpayer ... Been there, seen that.

;-)

You may be wrong to think that some people going sailing give other people bad name. This may be because the other people are not sailing.

;-(

So, here I leave you to your feelings of shame. Rest assured not the whole world empathizes with you.

Fair winds,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 11:04   #52

Boat: Finnfire 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Actually there was a book written about the first Antarctic voyage (in the first Vega). Berserk: By David Mercy, And it's an excellent book.
I didn't know that. I might check it out.
Last_Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 11:28   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Alecadi, I can assure you I am a safe and courteous driver. However, I do not see the connection between the incredibly mundane task of driving a car and polar exploration. If I drive a car irresponsibly, I endanger the lives of other people on the road. If, however, I choose to explore the polar regions without government permission and accept full personal responsiblity for my actions, I only endanger myself and my willing crew. Did I miss something?
I fail to see the connection between "polar exploration" and the voyage in question. Sailing to the Antarctic isn't the equivalent of exploring the region except in the personal tourism sense. Glorifying this guy with words doesn't in some way make what he's doing of value.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 11:47   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I fail to see the connection between "polar exploration" and the voyage in question. Sailing to the Antarctic isn't the equivalent of exploring the region except in the personal tourism sense. Glorifying this guy with words doesn't in some way make what he's doing of value.

Hum, in all fairness-- 1700 miles from NZ to the Ross Sea, 40 to 50 knot winds predicted for days and pack ice soon closing the area is hardly a daysail along the coast or a "tourist's" day on the water. If you read this guy's bio online, like him or not, he's the real thing. It's not just his skills and abilities, but he has the heart and spirit of an exceptional person. Many times in life we encounter people we do not like but must admit to ourselves in the "quiet moments" we have met a special person. Perhaps he doesn't look or act like the stereotypical explorer of times past, be he may well be a reflection of his generation and their take on life. I wish him well and may his journey end in personal fulfilment and safety for all. Rognvald
Old 27-01-2012, 12:39   #55

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

This fella reminds me of the fishermen I grew up with in the PNW, Norskas, Swedes,Finns, if you tryed to tell these fellas they could not go somewhere, you better be ready to show then WHY !! Of course if your one of these peaple who ALWAYS obey everybody, then you can stay home and grow a garden not go to sea !! Im 73 and I wish I was aboard for this trip !! Just an OLD seamans 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 13:31   #56

Why do people care about the environmental impact of one medium sized boat, when there's so much other activity? Because it adds up, that's why. The garbage dumps in Antarctica should be cleared away when bases are closed down. Andhøy and Massie left their equipment on moving ice last time, so the Ross Station people salvaged it to land. It wouldn't be good to have a situation like Mt Everest where it's littered with corpses, garbage and oxygen bottles - at least there they can throw them down the side. In the high Arctic and Antarctic, biological decay is extremely slow.

Secondly, Andhøy and crew can denounce search and rescue efforts all they want (in earlier interviews, he's criticized his dead crew for activating their EPIRB), but other mariners would still try to save their lives if they call for help on their satellite phone.

Andhøy has made some further statements today:

- Returning to New Zealand is out of the question.
- They've made preparations to spend the winter in Antarctica, if they can make it past the ice.
- They were in such a hurry to cast off, that they brought along an extra man who was just below working on the anchor windlass and wasn't supposed to go with them. "We've got a stowaway" *
- Andhøy is also heavily implying that he blames the New Zealand navy for the previous boat sinking.

*: (Personal note: Robert F. Scott also brought an unplanned fifth man on the last leg. )
Landkrabbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 13:50   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
This fella reminds me of the fishermen I grew up with in the PNW, Norskas, Swedes,Finns, if you tryed to tell these fellas they could not go somewhere, you better be ready to show then WHY !! Of course if your one of these peaple who ALWAYS obey everybody, then you can stay home and grow a garden not go to sea !! Im 73 and I wish I was aboard for this trip !! Just an OLD seamans 2 cents Bob and Connie
I'm10yrs younger and I don't....
Too bloody cold for me down there... no bars.... and all the birds stink of fish...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 14:02   #58
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Actually the issue here is that the Antarctic is a protected region under international treaty. Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keeping it safe from some irresponsible sailors self gratification seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Darwin... the ultimate cure for stupid. And just think, this guy is giving Darwin another shot ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 14:48   #59

Boat: Finnfire 33

Is he stupid because he didn't get the permission, or is he stupid because his acting captain sailed into a storm instead of staying anchored as agreed last year?
Last_Mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2012, 15:01   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Hum, in all fairness-- 1700 miles from NZ to the Ross Sea, 40 to 50 knot winds predicted for days and pack ice soon closing the area is hardly a daysail along the coast or a "tourist's" day on the water. If you read this guy's bio online, like him or not, he's the real thing. It's not just his skills and abilities, but he has the heart and spirit of an exceptional person. Many times in life we encounter people we do not like but must admit to ourselves in the "quiet moments" we have met a special person. Perhaps he doesn't look or act like the stereotypical explorer of times past, be he may well be a reflection of his generation and their take on life. I wish him well and may his journey end in personal fulfilment and safety for all. Rognvald
To me he's just another publicity seeking adrenaline junkie and one who feels he's above the law. Not my idea of an exceptional person.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply