Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 00:32   #91

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I suspect Mallory had a visa. The world has changed quite rapidly however. In 1800 there was still lots of room and the oceans were the vast unknown. There was only 1 billion people on the earth. In 1924 when Mallory disappeared there was only 2 billion. Now there is 7 billion and it's all charted.
Hehe, perhaps he did. I don't know. We humans have exploded in this place though. That's for sure. It's sad to realise there is nothing left that doesn't require a rubber stamp of some sort I guess. For me anyway, it's sad.
Old 28-01-2012, 03:08   #92

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Visa's cost money to obtain.

Its more than likely that the govts are pissed off that they didnt get their cut of the dosh, Hahahahha No visa.

Thats more the bottom line,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 05:22   #93

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Nilaya/Berserk missing

Quote:
The law doesn't say they can't go, it does say they have to meet some requirements. Others have managed.
I am 100% with you on this. When things can be done in a civilized & safe way, that's often the best way to do them.

Dodging the regulations may help one get going NOW but who knows what the future holds?

If I were to go the Antarctic (or any other remote and high-risk area), I would rather report 'too often' on where I am and what my plans are than sneak out and avoid authorities. After all, in such areas, when things happen (and we all know they do) these authorities are the only ones to help us out.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 07:01   #94

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
I suspect Mallory had a visa. The world has changed quite rapidly however. In 1800 there was still lots of room and the oceans were the vast unknown. There was only 1 billion people on the earth. In 1924 when Mallory disappeared there was only 2 billion. Now there is 7 billion and it's all charted.
Actually, a large fraction undersea part of the oceans is still a vast unknown. They are really the last terrestrial frontier.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 08:09   #95

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The interesting thing about this blog is that it clearly defines how people view the world. But, a final point must be mentioned that perhaps takes precedence above all others and that is the discussion of "what is a leader?" As we have advanced in our quest for "Civilization," the nature of leaders/leadership has also changed with that advance. From the burgeoning of the Greek and Roman empires until early 20th Century leaders were chosen and defined as those who were mentally strong, courageous, intelligent and willing to take chances of which the "commoners" were incapable. Hannibal, Spartacus, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Charles Martel, Attila, Leif Erickson, William of Normandy, and Gengis Khan to Henry the VIII, Napoleon, Teddy Roosevelt, and Churchill to name a few. They were not people who walked a narrow, restricted, clearly defined road but rather those who forged their own. They were clearly a cut above their peers and their accomplishments were unique for their time in history. In fairness, I'm not comparing Andhoy to a great historical figure, but I am declaring that he would be a leader and adventurer whenever he was born. It is his independence, singlemindedness, courage, talents and abilities that separate him from the flock and this is exactly what some of lesser talents find so disturbing since, if they are honest, they possess none of these traits. In times of peace and prosperity, Man is hardwired to reject the rebel. But it is the same rebel they reject in good times that they flock to with their support in times of crisis. Since early Christian times, Envy was one of the Seven Deadly Sins. I think some of Andhoy's detractors should ask themselves if they are guilty. I would guess they would say "no." P.S. As I am an avid reader of History, I am currently looking for Leif Erickson's permit(written in Runes) to explore the New World and am undergoing archeological digs to determine the ecological impact of his first voyage to the New World. Do you think he left behind any plastic?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 08:29   #96

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The interesting thing about this blog is that it clearly defines how people view the world. But, a final point must be mentioned that perhaps takes precedence above all others and that is the discussion of "what is a leader?" As we have advanced in our quest for "Civilization," the nature of leaders/leadership has also changed with that advance. From the burgeoning of the Greek and Roman empires until early 20th Century leaders were chosen and defined as those who were mentally strong, courageous, intelligent and willing to take chances of which the "commoners" were incapable. Hannibal, Spartacus, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Charles Martel, Attila, Leif Erickson, William of Normandy, and Gengis Khan to Henry the VIII, Napoleon, Teddy Roosevelt, and Churchill to name a few. They were not people who walked a narrow, restricted, clearly defined road but rather those who forged their own. They were clearly a cut above their peers and their accomplishments were unique for their time in history. In fairness, I'm not comparing Andhoy to a great historical figure, but I am declaring that he would be a leader and adventurer whenever he was born. It is his independence, singlemindedness, courage, talents and abilities that separate him from the flock and this is exactly what some of lesser talents find so disturbing since, if they are honest, they possess none of these traits. In times of peace and prosperity, Man is hardwired to reject the rebel. But it is the same rebel they reject in good times that they flock to with their support in times of crisis. Since early Christian times, Envy was one of the Seven Deadly Sins. I think some of Andhoy's detractors should ask themselves if they are guilty. I would guess they would say "no." P.S. As I am an avid reader of History, I am currently looking for Leif Erickson's permit(written in Runes) to explore the New World and am undergoing archeological digs to determine the ecological impact of his first voyage to the New World. Do you think he left behind any plastic?
Thanks. Very well Put,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 08:35   #97

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I am currently looking for Leif Erickson's permit(written in Runes) to explore the New World and am undergoing archeological digs to determine the ecological impact of his first voyage to the New World. Do you think he left behind any plastic?
Haha and wonder if he had insurance, which by the way is the most ridiculous thing to have in the Antarctic for a sailboat party.. Think of the worst case scenario. Boat wrecks on a pristine beach, and spils 150l of diesel, a few liters of lubricants, some good rhum and more bones on the rocks. Does anyone think there's any sense to set a cleaning party half a globe away to clean it up? All the diesel has vanished long before anyone's there and to go there has much more environmental harm than anything left of the wreck. To save anyone from such a remote place is as well nonsense and shouldn't be even considered seriously. Not that I have anything against antiwhalers doing that but that's their own decission..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 09:04   #98

Boat: PETERSON 44

Alvah Simon north to the night good read. Great story I think he was not permitted to do this but worked through the bureaucracy and a field decision made he was allowed. It is a great story it was his dream no one was hurt while he found his dream . Let this guy sail.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 09:05   #99

Boat: Gib sea 43

I think one point to be made is permission, who decides what is permitted and what right do they have to decide what another person does? I say people should be allowed to to risk their own lives, as long as they are not risking the lives of unwilling participants and obviously don't make a mess, the world is becoming one big nanny state, how long before you have to ask for permission to step out to your front door?

There are just too many laws and rules being made in the name of safety/protection, loosing freedom for the sake of quite often imaginary or manufactured threats, oh and all these laws and rules to protect us from those nasty terrorists as well, lose privacy and freedom for a very udefined if not a created threat.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 09:14   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sky View Post
Hehe, perhaps he did. I don't know. We humans have exploded in this place though. That's for sure. It's sad to realise there is nothing left that doesn't require a rubber stamp of some sort I guess. For me anyway, it's sad.
When I first came to British Columbia about 35 years ago I had a sense of a vast untamed land. I never get that feeling from it any more. There's too many people for it to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Actually, a large fraction undersea part of the oceans is still a vast unknown. They are really the last terrestrial frontier.
This is true. If you wish to go "farther then any before" like Cook then it's down you'll have to go. Lots of challenges there!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 14:20   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

None of which has anything to do with Antarctica.

Old 28-01-2012, 14:22   #102

Boat: Tartan 30

Antarctica is not under the rule of a Democracy.

Antarctic Treaty System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit] hummingway beat me to it...

Interestingly, none of these treaties say anything about insurance or customs officialdom.

If you have a problem with the way your country handles the laws pertaining to this type of thing. well... good luck I suggest moving somewhere else, or taking an activist stance (and risk being locked away!) All this talk doesn't accomplish anything. Meanwhile, Jarle is infact 'free' to travel to antarctica, as he is doing right now. But, he'll need to answer to the customs officials when he gets back. I'm sure he's well aware of this fact.
Old 28-01-2012, 14:33   #103

Boat: Niagara 35

It cracks me up that people keep using the term "explorer." Even a comparison to Leif Erickson!!

Folks, we already know where Antarctica is. I bet he even has decent charts on board. He's a tourist, not an explorer. Granted, he's one heck of an adventurous tourist, but a tourist nonetheless. You're not an explorer if you're following in somebody else's footsteps, even if you're climbing Everest.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2012, 14:38   #104

Boat: Tartan 30

Meanwhile, the first woman to traverse Antarctica an a pair of skis, completed her adventure just last week.

But God forbid if 'some dude' tries to trace the path of his ancestors, or ride an ATV to the south pole, because that's just too damn dangerous and doesn't conform to the common standards of exploration and achievement.
Old 28-01-2012, 15:13   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please leave the political soap boxes now folks and return to the subject of the thread, as if it isn't volatile enough!