Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 20:28   #16

Boat: Mason 53
Re: Nilaya/Berserk missing

G'day, Maritime New Zealand has cancelled their request for assistance in locating the vessel. We are awaiting formal confirmation that the yacht has been located. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 16:27   #17

Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

G'day, mates. Nilaya has cleared New Zealand waters heading south toward the South Pole and being tracked by the various authorities. Cheers.
Old 26-01-2012, 16:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The sad reality is that we are experiencing the changing construct of "civilizations" where governments rather than individuals will now dictate your ability to pursue adventure within their proscribed limits of safety. There will no longer be chance, pushing one's self to his/her ultimate limits and dealing with the unknown based upon your own agenda, but rather a bureaucratic format to be precisely followed and accessbile to only a few to pursue adventure. How far would civilization have advanced if this were the case for the last 3,000 years of recorded human history?
For most of human history if you built a vessel the local dictator could come and take it from you. That's without mentioning that you would never have had the freedom to wonder around and "pursue adventures".

The very notion that our lives are hear for our own emancipation, while I agree with it completely, is pretty friggin new.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 17:14   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nilaya/Berserk missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
For most of human history if you built a vessel the local dictator could come and take it from you. That's without mentioning that you would never have had the freedom to wonder around and "pursue adventures".

The very notion that our lives are hear for our own emancipation, while I agree with it completely, is pretty friggin new.
LOL.... thats what happened to a futuristic house in Karachi in the '80's... latest solar and cooling systems etc... then he was a crook married to the Prime Minister..
Today he is the Prime Minister...
How do I know... my Mom was a major investor..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 17:21   #20

G'day, mates. The latest update from this end:
'Viking' sailor closer to Antarctica | Jarle Andhoey... | Stuff.co.nz

Cheers
Old 26-01-2012, 17:53   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Yep, let the guy sail,if he goes without the proper equip( which is in many ways subjective), if a friend decides to go with him, if he takes a stupid route, or to a dangerous place, so be it.

Frankly I am a little confused about the attitude of stopping him( no offense to the poster who wants him stopped, truly ) thought it was a free world as far as the ocean was concerned.

If he broke laws and needs to address some custom red tape, then let him take the penalty now or when he gets home.

Either way, let the guy sail.
Erika
Old 26-01-2012, 18:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Yep, let the guy sail,if he goes without the proper equip( which is in many ways subjective), if a friend decides to go with him, if he takes a stupid route, or to a dangerous place, so be it.

Frankly I am a little confused about the attitude of stopping him( no offense to the poster who wants him stopped, truly ) thought it was a free world as far as the ocean was concerned.

If he broke laws and needs to address some custom red tape, then let him take the penalty now or when he gets home.

Erika
Well said.
Old 26-01-2012, 18:14   #23

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Quote:
Hud, "stunt" is a subjective term based upon one's own values and perhaps prejudices. A stunt to one person may be a life changing experience to another. We are all hardwired differently and some people need more challenges and stimulation than others. This does not mean that anyone is "right" or "wrong," but rather that some people in life beat to a different drummer. When I mentioned advancing civilization, I think of people who have taken chances and gone against the grain of prevailing attitudes to personally enrichen their lives and ,many times, benefit society. For example, Galileo risked imminent death by controverting the Catholic Church's belief that the earth rather than the sun was the center of our universe. His journey was intellectual. When Columbus embarked from Europe both his sailors and the conventional establishment believed the earth was flat. If the government forbade his journey based upon permits or potential danger, this knowledge would have taken much longer to discover. Of course, the lure of gold helped assuage his benefactors concerns. And even the assumed madness of the great polar explorers Amundsen, Byrd, Ross and Shackelton who advanced the knowledge of our natural world and risked both life and reputation were willing to throw all caution to the wind for their personal journey that, similar to Galileo and Columbus, some would have called "stunts." There are some who believe that the "government" is created to protect and nurture people for their own best interest. And there are those who believe that government may impede Man's creativity, drive and accomplishments. Civilization has never been advanced by the many, but by the few . . . the few intelligent, daring souls who seek to push the boundaries of the human condition and experience. And, must all exploration have a utilitarian purpose that is well defined and prescribed in detail or is it still possible to explore for the sake of exploration? Let's hope there will always be an opportunity for those who seek knowledge and adventure to pursue their dreams and goals without the strong hand of government on their shoulders. And really, who is ultimately responsible for one's life? Good luck and good sailing, Ron
If i had actually wanted to express my thoughts,
I could not do better.
Thank you
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 18:21   #24

Boat: reinke 13M

Let the guy explore and live free. There are more important problems that need attention. I support the Berserk crew!
flemmingsveen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 18:27   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Erika

I've been a long time fan of the Berserkers ever since the first book came out, and very much of the same opinion as you. I respected their thumbing their noses at all the naysayers who said it couldn't be done too. But lately I've been sort of rethinking just a little. While I have a problem with the authorities requiring proof of insurance, the rest of the antarctic treaty stuff is pretty important. A little effort at at least appearing to try to comply would seem wise at this point. Although I can see why he'd be reticent to have any dealings with authority after they tried to charge him with manslaughter. Sometimes it seems like they take it a little too far, I hate to say...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 22:33   #26

Quote:

Erika
I think that's an easy position to take when you're not the one who might have to mount a search and rescue operation, or deal with the environmental impact of his boat ending up banging around on an Antarctic shelf. It's pretty easy to demonize the governments of the world and often it's accurate, but it's not like you and I are going to be the ones flying a chopper to save them.

The guy is responsible for the deaths of others already, and here's an interview from a captain who routinely transits Antarctica:

Quote:
“The Captain, Jarle Andhoey, has simply been reckless from the moment he set out on this expedition. He has an adventurous spirit, which I admire. I have laughed at a few of his exploits in the past. He has the right to do his own thing, as we all do, but only if it does not impact on anyone else, or break any laws which may be in place for the sake of the environment or humanity.”
Old 26-01-2012, 22:48   #27

Oh goodie.

Quote:
Mr Andhoy's lawyer has told a news conference in Norway that the yacht has no emergency beacon because the adventurer does not want to put anyone else at risk if something goes wrong.
Old 26-01-2012, 23:15   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Landkrabbe, Disregarding government sanctions, should it really matter why he wants to go and how much he plans if he chooses to accept personal responsibility for his adventure and not rely on "governments" to save him from a possible misadventure? The issue here is government intervention in peoples lives. On a personal note, I'd think I'd like Andhoy on my Longship-- a real Viking!
Actually the issue here is that the Antarctic is a protected region under international treaty. Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keeping it safe from some irresponsible sailors self gratification seems perfectly reasonable to me.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 23:30   #29

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

But if anyone plans to make any trips to the region better to be flagged in one of the numerous countries not signed the Antarctic treaty so then aren't breaking any laws or treaties..
And IMHO it's not the occasional private sailors and adventurer's making any thread to Antarctic. The one day emissions of all research stations in Antarctic are far more than any kind of "berserks" can produce in a decade..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2012, 23:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
But if anyone plans to make any trips to the region better to be flagged in one of the numerous countries not signed the Antarctic treaty so then aren't breaking any laws or treaties..
And IMHO it's not the occasional private sailors and adventurer's making any thread to Antarctic. The one day emissions of all research stations in Antarctic are far more than any kind of "berserks" can produce in a decade..
"Emissions" is a little different than "spilled diesel and oil" which is what happens if that ship breaks up. If the guy had the experience, equipment, track record, and insurance he would be allowed through. All of those pieces are in place for a very good reason. It's not like there's a "fun police" sitting around trying to stop him for no good reason.