Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 05:42   #241
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, buckley.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-02-2012, 07:40   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkrabbe View Post
Also, what sailing guide would he have that claimed that these anchorages were safe all-weather anchorages? Reading an old interview with Andhøy confirms he was using the "Antarctic Pilot", volume 9 of the UK Admiralty sailing directions.
Here I have no information, so I just got to ask..

Did Andhøy ever claim that any of the anchorages were safe all-weather anchorages?

The way I interpreted him was that the two together made a close to "safe all weather anchorage". If that is correct or not I guess only the ones that has been down there can judge..
singaporestrait is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-02-2012, 08:48   #243

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkrabbe View Post
(Real viking helmets don't have horns, by the way.)
Damn!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-02-2012, 09:20   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Damn!!
I know, right? Maybe a few ritual helmets in Scandinavia and medieval knights in Europe had them, but the vikings didn't actually use horned helmets in battle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporestrait View Post
Did Andhøy ever claim that any of the anchorages were safe all-weather anchorages?
Yes. In Norwegian language interviews at least, Andhøy has referred to Horseshoe Bay as a "safe anchorage", "safe harbor" and "safe natural harbor" where Berserk could spend the winter safe from hurricanes.
For example, in these interviews with NRK, released January 26th and 27th:
Andhøy til NRK:
Andhøy:
Old 29-02-2012, 09:51   #245
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporestrait

Here I have no information, so I just got to ask..

The way I interpreted him was that the two together made a close to "safe all weather anchorage". If that is correct or not I guess only the ones that has been down there can judge..
As "ice" made clear neither anchorage is safe from the west. Also the winds can come up so quickly that moving from an anchorage that is open from one direction to another that is protected even if they are less than a hour apart can be problematic and it is experience in high latitudes that make one safe more so that pilot guides

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-02-2012, 12:37   #246

@GordMay : Thank you

With regards to Anchoring, Andhøj has mentioned three anchorages that would be safe - but I do not have the understanding that all three would be safe in all weather.

If you look at the maps here: Explore the oceans - BlooSee
(Choose nautical charts / New zealand just below the "Boats" topmenu, and then click the small topright "map" icon. choose satelite).

Bloosee.com is the only site I've found with satelitephoto and nautical charts in combination for this area.

This shows backdoor bay. zoom out a little to see Horseshoebay. Backdoor bay is sheltered from three directions, Horseshoebay is covering the forth direction (north).

The last anchorage that has been mentioned I believe has been around Beaufort Island, but I can't really get the sense out of using this as anchorage - my memory might be playing games with me.
buckley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-02-2012, 14:35   #247
ice

[QUOTE=buckley;898475 nautical charts in combination for this area.
[/QUOTE]

One thing you need to keep in mind in the polar regions when thinking about anchorages, different than lower latitude anchoring - a prime danger comes from ice being blown in and ice can go around corners. The 'best' anchorages have a shallow bar which blocks the big ice. Neither of these have that sort of ice protection. Horseshoe is open to the swell and fetch from the ross sea. Back door would normally be better in terms of swell/waves and has better anchoring depths, but is more exposed to the ice, and was directly open to this storm's particular southerly winds. Both anchorages are swept by katabatic winds from a couple near by glaciers - these can hit the boat from almost any direction at 80-100kts even in a 'mild gale'. It just simply a damn challenging area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beserk anchorage.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	38134

Name:	horseshoe_1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	38135
ice is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09   #248

Does anybody know of the whereabouts of the third anchoring site?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
One thing you need to keep in mind in the polar regions when thinking about anchorages, different than lower latitude anchoring - a prime danger comes from ice being blown in and ice can go around corners. The 'best' anchorages have a shallow bar which blocks the big ice. Neither of these have that sort of ice protection. Horseshoe is open to the swell and fetch from the ross sea. Back door would normally be better in terms of swell/waves and has better anchoring depths, but is more exposed to the ice, and was directly open to this storm's particular southerly winds. Both anchorages are swept by katabatic winds from a couple near by glaciers - these can hit the boat from almost any direction at 80-100kts even in a 'mild gale'. It just simply a damn challenging area.

Attachment 38134
Attachment 38135
I just wondered, which charts are these? they are not cm93 are they?
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45   #250
ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley View Post
Does anybody know of the whereabouts of the third anchoring site?
I have not heard Jarle refer to 'three anchorages' - can you point to an interview or article where he says that? Perhaps he gives a hint that would lead us to the third place . . . but:

Berserk was anchored in the channel just off McMurdo a day before the storm - that's where they dropped Jarle and the ATVs off. I would have thought that would be the natural third 'emergency rendezvous' point.

There is an open 'roadstead' anchorage off the west side of Beaufort island - not very good for anything but an easterly wind.

There is a quite shitty anchorage in North Bay, 700m off the face of the Barne Glacier (in 27m of water depth).
Old 14-03-2012, 01:09   #251

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mates. It's been awhile since we've received any update. Tonight on RadioLive here in New Zealand, it is being reported that "the yacht Nilaya has experienced "difficulties" in severe weather and is turning back to Antartica". New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been in contact with the family of the New Zealander aboard the yacht.

In a discussion with the Rescue Coordination Center, they indicated that the Nilaya had lost a sail and had to "splint" the boom. As far as they could tell, they are still headed towards Cape Horn and are in Chilean's search & rescue zone.

Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 14-03-2012, 05:49   #252
ice

He's been at sea for 17 days, and I estimate he is somewhere around 57-60S 99-103W. That's about 1000nm from Puerto Williams.

Here is the low he was just in. Not anything particularly special or strong, but there could well have been a narrow but strong frontal band hidden in there.

Name:	<a title=chile.jpg Views: 194 Size: 107.3 KB ID: 38703" style="margin: 2px" />

But coming tomorrow is a somewhat stronger one, note the 50kts flags near where I estimate his position.

Name:	chile2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	38704

I hope he does ok and does not need help, because the Chilean navy does not really do long range offshore rescues (unlike the very excellent NZ and OZ SAR resources). They will send a C130 out and drop things (pumps and rafts) and will try to organize a fishing trawler to meet up with a vessel in trouble and evac people.
Old 14-03-2012, 06:07   #253

According to the Norwegian newspaper VG SV Nilaya is going to the Argentinian (?) base on the antarctic peninsula, I guess this must be "Base Generale Bernardo O'Higgins" on the north shore, but that is just my guess.

Østlandsposten qoutes Stig Hatlo - they are in need of repair of the "bom"- damaged in a broach and diesel refuel before continuing to Ushuaia, Chile.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:33   #254
ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley View Post
According to the Norwegian newspaper VG SV Nilaya is going to the Argentinian (?) base on the antarctic peninsula, I guess this must be "Base Generale Bernardo O'Higgins" on the north shore, but that is just my guess.

Østlandsposten qoutes Stig Hatlo - they are in need of repair of the "bom"- damaged in a broach and diesel refuel before continuing to Ushuaia, Chile.
Odd.

I expected he would now be lined up roughly on the latitude (or just a little below) of the horn - lets say 58 degrees, in which case Ushuaia would actually be closer than the Peninsula.

It must be that he has been tracking much further south, well in the 60's, which would make the peninsula a bit closer, and that might also explain why he is running out of fuel - the winds are rather less favorable down there - lighter winds and head winds. It's also colder with more ice to watch out for.

Antarctic bases carry fuel for their own needs but typically don't provide refueling to private yachts.

The bases will often, out of kindness, help with repairs, but it is viewed as 'bad form' and an imposition on their generosity and limited resources and only done in emergency. Ushuaia is a better place for repairs.

I personally think he should head to Puerto Williams - It sounds like he has headsails, and he can easily make it there on just headsails. Hopefully he also has a trysail, in which case it would be a piece of cake. That would be much better than trying to refuel and repair on the peninsula.

(as a side note Ushuaia is in Argentina not Chile - Jarle knows that so it's a news reporting error)
Old 14-03-2012, 12:56   #255

In an interview with Rune Olsgaard just now on RNZ, Olsgaard was asked whether Jarle anticipated any problems with the South American authorities, given the problems elsewhere. His answer was, I thought, somewhat revealing:

"When you have problems with the boat everyone wants to help or should, (...so I don't see any problems)"

I'm sure I'm not the first to observe that they don't make Vikings (or Hells Angels) like they used to.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply