Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 12:43   #1

Boat: Ingrid 38 - Nada
Nigel Calder's Ingrid 38 'Nada' Found !

As a member of this sailing community, I wanted share our joy with you.

A friend and I recently discovered Nigel Calder’s Ingrid 38, “Nada”, abandoned in the boatyard in Long Island!

After much patience and perseverance, we have secured a clean title and look forward to restoring her to her former glory. We will be sharing our journey of restoration with you, and hope to share insights to what Nigel was thinking when he outfitted her (stuff you won’t find in his books). From our brief visits aboard, his genius is evident everywhere.

After she has been restored, we intend sailing her and making her available to sailors in the North East as a uniquely capable offshore sailing experience.

Stay tuned

Saving Nada Team.
Sailing Nada Team.
Libertyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 12:51   #2

Boat: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa
An acquaintance of mine bought Calder's Crealock 40 "Nada". He's renamed her "Toda".
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 13:26   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Liberty, welcome to CF.

That would be a good thread to read, hopefully with lots of photos. I have read a couple of articles on his latest creation. Can't say its my cup of tea and far to complicated, but each to their own.

Looking forward to your posts.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 13:37   #4

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome, and you do make an interesting point. The new Nada is on the bleeding edge in many respects, while our Nada reflects "if you can't fix it underway, leave it behind" attitude.....

Liberty now Nada..@libertyhere on twitter.
Old 24-12-2010, 11:35   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
I am restoring an Ingrid that was basically free also. What condition is Nada in? Anu pictures?

Tim
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 16:14   #6

Dear Tim

Congratulations on your find! Ingrids are awesome boats. But, as you probably already know, there is no such thing as a free boat! :-)

Nada is in remarkably good condition. She has been abandoned for a few years, and wasn't covered, so you can imagine that the desk and topsides need some work, but down below she is, as the previous owner left her, (he bought her from Nigel, spent 3 weekends on the boat from what we can gather from the log, had her hauled and winterized). All her systems will need to be looked at, and tanks cleaned, rigging inspected, and lots new fresh paint. We hope to have her sailing very soon, and we are serious about sharing the experience with other sailors. Nigel was a legend, and I have personally benefitted from the knowledge in his books.

We have only just concluded the deal, so we have literally only spent a few hours aboard. I am sure there are going to be many pleasant and unpleasant surprises waiting for us. We look forward to sharing our experience on this board.
Old 25-12-2010, 10:26   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I don't think you can go wrong with an Ingrid. They truly are bluewater. They do perform better if you can keep the boat balanced bow to stern with most the weight centered. That's something to consider in tankage and battery placement.
kind regards,
Old 25-12-2010, 12:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with an Ingrid. They truly are bluewater. They do perform better if you can keep the boat balanced bow to stern with most the weight centered. That's something to consider in tankage and battery placement.
kind regards,
According to the Blue water literature -
"Ballast in the Ingrid is spread out from extreme stern position to the bob-stay iron in the bow. This long moment of force acts like a pole, rising and falling on a horizontal plane (as opposed to the pitching motion so common in the fin-keel sailboats)"

There seems to be some dispute as to whether that is really better than a huge chunk of lead down low.
The boats are quite tender.
Old 25-12-2010, 15:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
More angular momentum is generally considered a bad thing for vessels. The reason is that it takes an increased amount of force from buoyancy at the bow and the stern to reverse the momentums direction. More angular momentum causes the bow and the stern to pitch deeper before the direction of the momentum is reversed.

The reason for the dispute is that each vessel has its own resonance frequency for pitching. As your angular momentum increases, your time period for one pitch reduces. When for example the waves coming at you are at or near the same frequency as your boats pitching resonance frequency, your pitch can be amplified. When the opposite is true, the amount of your pitch is reduced.

Overall though, it is better to have a smaller resonance frequency because it is better to be matched to the harmonics of smaller and less potentially damaging waves than to be matched to the harmonics (or in sync) with larger waves.

This is how a ship can be broken at sea in heavy seas, when the timing of a ships pitch matches the period of the swell. Ship captains are aware of this and will either alter course or slow down so this does not happen.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 16:30   #10

Boat: Islander 44 (My lemon trying to make lemonade)
Great cant wait

as will all cant wait to see the picks
ziptie-ducktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 08:52   #11

So the question is then what at what wave period does the dispersed ballast reduce pitching. And at what period does it increase it with the Ingrid.
Old 28-12-2010, 05:50   #12

Yes I would be very interested in this also. There must be a formula that can be applied.

I am a member of the Saving Nada team and the last thing Nigel did was convert Nada to a cutter rig at which time he adjused the ballast.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 08:29   #13

Adjusted the ballast in what way? Did he move the mast location?
Old 28-12-2010, 08:45   #14

Hi Tim. Yes he did move the mast. For a second time actually. Here is a link to his article in Ocean Navigator on the subject. It includes his ballast adjustment info. Enjoy! Ocean Navigator | The magazine for long-distance offshore sailing and power voyaging
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 10:58   #15

JollyRoger, thanks my friend for jumping in. I think it would also be useful for Tim to know that we do intend extending the sprit by 2 feet as suggested by Bill Crealock, when Nigel consulted him on the changes to improve Nada's tenderness.......