Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2010, 20:07   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
Wish I had the original ketch rig.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_H View Post
So the question is then what at what wave period does the dispersed ballast reduce pitching. And at what period does it increase it with the Ingrid.
I wonder if Bob Perry has any thoughts on this? He's designed some beautiful classic blue water boats.

Old 18-06-2011, 09:21   #18

Boat: Ingrid 38 - Nada
Re: Nigel Calder's Ingrid 38 'Nada' Found !

JollyRoger and I have finally got around to documenting our restoration of Nigel Calder's Ingrid 38, Nada. For those interested we have a blog at Nada's Blog - The restoration and sailing of Nada - Ingrid 38. Its an open project, meaning we encourage input and advice from this forum. Also, when she is launched we will be looking for crew to share our sailing adventures with. Our contact details are sailingnada@gmail.com, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Old 18-06-2011, 17:10   #19
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

fyi - I've sent an email to Nigel letting him know about this thread.
Old 18-06-2011, 19:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
fyi - I've sent an email to Nigel letting him know about this thread.

Thanks canucksailor! We have been in touch with Pippin, and we asked her to pass the message on to her dad, but we haven't been able to contact Nigel directly.

We would love Nigel's input, his workmanship and ingenuity are of such an excellent standard, we hope we can do Nada justice during her restoration.

Our intention is to preserve his legacy and contribution to the cruising community through our endeavour.

SavingNada Team
Old 19-06-2011, 01:05   #21

Hello 'Saving Nada' team,

Apologies for the slow reply - I am somewhat overloaded with projects right now.

All the Ingrids were tender, and unfortunately we compounded this problem on Nada by grossly overbuilding the deck (a product of our lack of experience and concerns about structural integrity). As you will see, we have moderately substantial deck beams overlaid by marine plywood, and then overlaid with several layers of fiberglass. The plywood or fiberglass would have been fine on their own! We then used double box section masts for the ketch rig which were very heavy plus oversized rigging. The ketch rig balanced beautifully but we rarely went to windward without the side decks underwater. In fact, when we bought the Pacific Seacraft 40 the children thought there was something wrong because the caprails never went under. At least it made her reasonably easy to drag off by the masthead on the several occasions we ran aground really hard - you can roll the portholes in the cabin sides under!

The conversion to a cutter with aluminum mast helped the stability a great deal, but you will find compared to a modern boat she is still tender (the round bilges and relatively narrow beam by today's standards don't help). If you can afford it, I would re-rig with Colligo 'Dynex Dux' fiber rigging. This is not outrageously expensive and will get quite a bit more weight off aloft. And if you can find a rich sponsor, how about a carbon mast! And I would put the bowsprit back to 8 feet.

The Alajuelas, which have the same hull, have quite a bit more ballast and are much stiffer, but this lowers the already low freeboard (makes it very easy for boarding from a dinghy!). At one point I caste some blocks of lead and bolted then to the outside of the keel which helped some, but I never properly faired them (it was an experiment) so there must have been a lot of turbulence. I think I took them back off, but can't remember. Is there a naval architect on the forum who would like to design a couple of bolt on appendages (one for each side) with a nice NACA profile that would add lift to windward? I'd think something on the order of 500-1,000 lbs per side would be great.

Regarding the spread out ballast issue. You can get into some kind of a resonant pitching frequency (hobby horsing) which will stop the boat just about dead in its tracks, and then speed builds up until it happens again. You basically have to bear away a bit. The best thing, of course, both in terms of the heeling and pitching is not to try to go too close to the wind! These boats just love anything from a close reach to a broad reach (don't we all?). On a run with following seas, the round bilges and tenderness can set up a slow roll which puts first one rail and then the other under. It is a smooth action, but does make cooking and similar activities a little bit of a challenge.

Good luck with the project!

Nigel
Old 19-06-2011, 02:58   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow

Well this is a nice surprise.
Welcome to the forum Nigel, and thank you for your contributions to the industry.
Your work has influenced my boating experiences.

Oh, and thanks for the comprehensive and informative first post.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 03:38   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

Welcome Nigel.
C'mon, be honest. This is a boat that took yous how far?
Welcome again...
Old 19-06-2011, 05:27   #24

Boat: Ingrid
Welcome Nigel!

I'll echo the thanks for your input into the sailing world. Your books are a great help to me as well as I rebuild my Ingrid Orca. 12K of ballast = low freeboard on the Orca's as well, cutter rig, aluminum mast. Still puts a rail in very easily, I don't mind a bit though.

Again, thanks for your help over the years.

So uh, what projects are keeping your interest sparked lately?
Old 19-06-2011, 05:31   #25

Dear Nigel, JollyRoger and I are over the moon with joy from your post. You've made our father's Day very special. Thank you and from the Saving Nada team, we wish you a wonderful day.
Old 19-06-2011, 07:03   #26

Boat: 1984 C&C MK II, 29'
Nigel -
I wanted to thank you for 'teaching' me what I needed to buy and maintain my 1st boat. I read your books in my spare time while deployed to Iraq in '05.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:53   #27

Dear Nigel

JollyRoger and I have read and discussed your post. Thanks for your thoughtful response. Its clear you still have fond memories of your first Nada. We intend getting her afloat this summer, and then doing an extensive restoration (as opposed to re-fit). Your ideas posted here and in several articles you wrote will be considered and where budget and time allow we look forward to implementing. Any further suggestions from you will be gratefully appreciated.

kind regards

Saving Nada Team
Old 30-06-2011, 11:59   #28

JollyRoger just posted a pictures of Nada's DC system on the SavingNada.com blog for those of you who have been asking for pcitures of Nada in her current state.
Old 10-08-2011, 22:54   #29

HI Folks,

Just joined forum to post about the Ingrid 38. I believe I just saw the Nada on the hard in Port Jefferson, NY.

Its a beautiful boat. Hard to imagine it being tender as it is so solid? In fact, I was just telling the people I was with that it would never roll!

Its in good condition by the looks of it. Certainly would be nice to see the Viking ship in the blue.

Cheers,
Kim '74P30
Old 22-08-2011, 08:41   #30

Hello Blue.Viking,
Great to hear that you may have spotted the Nada in Port Jefferson. She is currently named 'Sea Grace". We'd love to show you around inside and share some of the work we have been doing.

Drop us a note at SailingNada@gmail.com if you'd like and we can set up a time to get together.

Maybe you'll even get to ride on the Viking ship when we launch her :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: