Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2010, 17:32   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
News from Jolly Roger

Well mate’s I have finally gon’ and done it as they say in The Palace! Yes, after all the procrastinations and setbacks, I have actually bought a boat—no doubt to the immense surprise of many—and probably more than one exhaustive shriek, “Thank Christ for that !!”
But it is not a Hudson Venice, which I never was able to find which was not on the West coast and to my budget, so I settled on a Down East 45 in Fort Lauderdale, just down the road. During the thanksgiving holiday it might be seen chugging up the intercoastal to Melbourne, near Cape Canaveral, trailing a whopping great British ensign. A photo is attached.
She is a ketch, (for the moment), with the fine traditional clipper bow I already have plans drawn to convert her to a powerful schooner/brigantine, which will just mean shifting the chain plates and masts, and extending the bowsprit two feet, but it’s all do-able.
She has a good 14’ beam and a nice aft cabin with head, and believe it or not, an almost full size bath tub, which will soon become a hot tub with jets, to ease my aching back after a hard day fixing things.
The motor is a good old trusty Perkins 4.236 with 6.5 Kw gen-set, along with a lot of other good stuff. She needs some TLC, (don’t they all?), but one of the best things about this boat is the price, and at $45,000 I’m not complaining.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 17:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Congrat u bludy lations......
Sweet looking boat and your plans for her sound well interesting.... Enjoy yourself..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:32   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Congratulations!

It looks good

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:40   #4

Boat: grampian 26
Why would you want to chop up a perfectly good ketch? Isn't that like making a sows ear out of a silk purse?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 19:12   #5

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Because I don't like the term "Hermaphrodite Ketch," which is what a ketch with yards is called. It sounds like some sort of cross dresser. So it has to first be converted to a schooner, then a Brigantine.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 22:32   #6

Boat: Fortune 30
Congrats about that. I'm all for square sails, having sailed as crew on a brig and a barque before. However, my interpretation is that the rig commonly called a brigantine is ACTUALLY a hermaphrodite brig. A proper brigantine has square sails on the main mast as well, but differs from a brig in that the mains'l is a bit bigger and used for more than rig ballance. Essentially, it's the foremast of a square tops'l schooner as the mainmast, with the square mast forward. And although you'd call her a hermaphrodite ketch, the square tops'l ketch Hawaiian Chieftain is quite a looker (though I still prefer brigs).

Pyrate
Pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 09:38   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jolly,
Congratulations! Looks like a regular old ketch to me. Never heard of a hermaphrodite ketch unless she carries square sails somewhere that I'm not seeing.
Great engine.
kind regards,