Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 15:16   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLBERG BABY View Post
Tao, Thank you!

I am really thanking all of you. I just worry about him. He's my only parent left, and I guess that makes me stress.

Do you think his computer will at least work in Colon?

Where is Colon? Why do they get held up there?

Once again, not trying to be stupid, but I do like learning all this, and when I get ahold of my dad, he's going to be getting an EAR FULL! I'm going to make him join this list an apologize to everyone! I think they left Key West before Fay hit. But, I dont have an exact date, and I'm sure it's whenever his girlfriend told him to leave.

Kate
Colon is the town/city at the northern (Caribbean side) terminus of the Panama Canal. Vessels get stuck there waiting to be scheduled by the canal authorities to transit to the Pacific side. There is a great deal of cargo traffic through the Canal, as you might imagine, and little sailboats are low on the priority list. Your dad will also have to line up line handlers when he reaches Colon - sometimes that's easy, sometimes not so much.

Your father's computer will work wherever he can get an internet connection. Most cruisers opt to carry their laptop into a convenient internet cafe to access their email. If your father has an SSB radio (single side band) installed, he can get a Pactor modem installed, sign up with sailmail, and receive email messages wherever he is.

If you can convince him to do this, don't send long messages or pictures, or hit reply to answer his messages, as bandwidth is limited.

I imagine your father is aware of the antipathy between you and his companion, and he probably finds it tiresome. In my experience, when two females are using a man as the rope in a tug-of-war contest, he will resent it deeply and either lash out at both females, or go into a shell and pretend it has nothing to do with him. Either reaction will seem unfair to the competing females who each think they are "right," and the other is "wrong."

I know it feels like you've "lost" him to her, and now you worry you and the grandchildren may have really lost him - all because of her. My guess is that, given his medical condition, he wants at least one last attempt to live the cruising dream, not unlike many on this forum. Try to be happy for him - he will appreciate that more than anything else you can do.

TaoJones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panamacanal.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	553.2 KB
ID:	4806  
Old 23-08-2008, 15:17   #17

Boat: boat less
I've read these posts! I'm new too! I am in a similar situation to Kate, but not exactly the same.

A friend of mine, is on the same route her father is on, and he's going to be a dad. But, he doesn't know it yet, and I cant get in contact with him. Same deal! His cell phone is not working, texts go through, and not getting any response from emails I send him.

I do know a little bit regarding the boat, he's got a 35 foot Coronado, it's not real new, and I think it was made in 1975, which is only 2 years older than me, she said her dad has a Hallberg Rassey. I can't believe though she's in the same dillema I'm in, and I FEEL HER PAIN!

I've been on the boat before, and it's beautiful. Everything is a masterpiece. But, he only has one other person on board, his daughter, and he's also going to Panama, then to Australia. We had kind of parted ways as friends, and I tried contacting him through an EBAY account he has, and got a really snitty reply back from a girl that was none to happy to hear what I had to say. I was just desperate to get him, and it was his account!

Kate has her potential step mother, and I have nasty lady.

I guess my questions are close to hers, and I certainally dont want to cramp my friend's trip, I just want him to know about the baby! I think it would be rather embarassing for the coast guard to pull him over and tell him that kind of news.

My question is similar to hers, is there any way to get in contact with someone? I'm trying to be a little discreet with his news, but I dont think he was making any stops. He had told me he had plenty of fuel, and didn't intend to use the motor, but he also didn't tell me.

Now all you guys on here are probably thinking bad thoughts! Stupid girl! Please dont. I'm just trying to do what I can to inform my sailing friend of some news. I have a place in the Virgin Islands too, but I've only used regular boats, not sail boats, and I have no idea of the distance and speed factors. Can anyone assist?

"Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit."
-Peter Ustinov

JAYE ISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 15:22   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Kate --

I love my sat phone -- wonderfully reassuring to know that all I have to do is hit the speed-dial emergency button and I'm instantly plugged in to my land-based emergency folks! They are pretty expensive, both to buy and to use (at least, compared to cell phones), however some places also rent them. Try: www.gmpcs-us.com

Colon is a port that is the entrance to the Canal. The geography of what's between the Keys and the Canal is quite compelling. Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Cuba (if he's got the guts to stop, assuming he's a US citizen). Lots of other places on the eastern route, too. Shopping is everywhere, assuming his girlfriend is not a 5th Avenue only type, that is. If she is, well, she may bail out pretty fast!

If he's got an SSB/Ham radio on board, then there's a good chance that he's listening to Chris Parker's daily weather net. You can get the website for that (and contact info) at: http://www.caribwx.com/main.html

Do you know if he has an SSB or Ham radio on board? If he does, but you don't know his call sign, then you might try and look him up at: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp

If he does have one, and you can get his call sign, then I would suggest finding a local ham operator. They could try and locate him.

ID

P.S. Tao's advice is excellent -- try to chill out and not make it a big deal with his girlfriend. He's either having the time of his life, or a living hell. Sometimes, you even get both in the same trip!

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 15:30   #19

Thank you very much!
I dont think I have his passport number. That's not the social security number is it? I have my passport somewhere, but dont know where it is, or I'd just check to see on my own if it is the social security number. But that crazy woman might spend all the money, I dont think the boat could hold anymore clothes or shoes of hers. As I mentioned, it isn't real big.

As for the crew, my dad is it. I know his girlfriend isn't going to assist with sailing. She claims she has carpal tunnel and can't lift anything or do anything. I dont know how the man is doing it.

Although, I thank Tao for his truthfulness. I never thought of my dad being pulled in 2 different directions, and no matter what happens, his happiness is what I want.

I can worry in silence I suppose.

Also, THANK YOU BILL for the distance situation. I was unaware of all the factors. I got out a globe, I know it's pathetic, but it's round, and better than a flat map for me. I see the places you are talking about.

How does one person sail a boat without anyone else? I did read that it can be done, but what about at night? What happens then?
Old 23-08-2008, 15:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYE ISLAND View Post
I've read these posts! I'm new too! I am in a similar situation to Kate, but not exactly the same.

A friend of mine, is on the same route her father is on, and he's going to be a dad. But, he doesn't know it yet, and I cant get in contact with him. Same deal! His cell phone is not working, texts go through, and not getting any response from emails I send him.

I do know a little bit regarding the boat, he's got a 35 foot Coronado, it's not real new, and I think it was made in 1975, which is only 2 years older than me, she said her dad has a Hallberg Rassey. I can't believe though she's in the same dillema I'm in, and I FEEL HER PAIN!

I've been on the boat before, and it's beautiful. Everything is a masterpiece. But, he only has one other person on board, his daughter, and he's also going to Panama, then to Australia. We had kind of parted ways as friends, and I tried contacting him through an EBAY account he has, and got a really snitty reply back from a girl that was none to happy to hear what I had to say. I was just desperate to get him, and it was his account!

Kate has her potential step mother, and I have nasty lady.

I guess my questions are close to hers, and I certainally dont want to cramp my friend's trip, I just want him to know about the baby! I think it would be rather embarassing for the coast guard to pull him over and tell him that kind of news.

My question is similar to hers, is there any way to get in contact with someone? I'm trying to be a little discreet with his news, but I dont think he was making any stops. He had told me he had plenty of fuel, and didn't intend to use the motor, but he also didn't tell me.

Now all you guys on here are probably thinking bad thoughts! Stupid girl! Please dont. I'm just trying to do what I can to inform my sailing friend of some news. I have a place in the Virgin Islands too, but I've only used regular boats, not sail boats, and I have no idea of the distance and speed factors. Can anyone assist?
Oh Jaye! I feel horrible for you. I know exactly what you're feeling, well, similar! Maybe they've met up or something. I wonder if they could have left the same day. I know my dad had to have left before the hurricane hit, he had to have done that. Do you know if your friend left before? Anyone who has help for us, PLEASE HELP! I am glad you know more about the boat your friend is on, I only know the model of boat my dad has. Everyone says it is safe, and that makes me feel better. The people on this forum are a blessing!
Old 23-08-2008, 15:38   #21

I love the map that Tao placed in his post. That is really nice. International drifter, you made some really good points too. Those phones are a necessity I think. I wouldn't have to have a long conversation with him, but I'd just feel better if I knew he was okay. The cost offsets the stress, trust me. Are there any women on these boards? Maybe I should take more of an interest. Having two boys, they eventually are going to want to go boating, and I should learn more.
Old 23-08-2008, 15:47   #22

Does anyone have any advice for Jaye? I dont know what to tell her or how to help her! You guys were really sweet, and knew about my dad's boat. Do you know about the boat she's talking about? I'm sure she's read your posts too. But, I think she is just as scared as myself. Yeah, you are all saying "Women!" But, let me tell you, men who know about boats are some of the smartest people alive. You guys all seem to know more than just about the boats, you know your routes, you know your safety, and you know products. Why aren't you all working for some big boat company? Or forcing people to join formus to learn something! I've learned more in a day than I have in my life!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

KATE
Old 23-08-2008, 15:47   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
<snip>How does one person sail a boat without anyone else? I did read that it can be done, but what about at night? What happens then?
Sailboats sail all day and all night - there are no rest stops on the ocean. Unless, that is, they opt to lie to a sea anchor for a period of time to catch up on their rest.

If your father is the sailor I believe, and hope, he is, he will not abide anyone aboard as a non-contributing prima donna. Long distance passages are fatiguing even under ideal circumstances, and that is with everyone aboard doing their fair share of the work. There really is no other way to do it.

Most sailors opt to shorten sail at sunset, which just means expose less sail area to the wind. Since the typical system used aboard a two-handed vessel is three hours on and three off, there is generally only one person taking care of the boat at any given time. It's less worrisome to do so with a reef or two in the mainsail.

I imagine your father is well-aware of this being hurricane season, so I doubt that he's lollygagging. The objective is to get south of the hurricane belt as quickly as possible, which Panama is, so if someone has convinced him to stop anywhere to shop at this time of year, I will re-think my opinion of him.

TaoJones
Old 23-08-2008, 16:47   #24

Guys...can you get through the Panama Canal without a documented boat? I thought not. The boat MY KATE is not documented so it is probably just state registered.
Does anyone know for sure what Panama requires?

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 17:05   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

I just need some advice.
My advice is don't worry too much (easier said than done). Unless you know he has any real deadlines to meet in his life onshore (and he misses them) then he is probably just in places where his communications are not working - until he finds a payphone. and even then, unless he has a reason to call you / someone else quite possible that he is simply enjoying himself in a relaxed (and possibly slow) trip - part of what he has set sail for is a slower / carefree lifestyle and with that "home" can slip off the radar a bit and time can just slide by. Especially if their is any "Tension" between you and the g/f can be a reason to put contact off, albeit not in a deliberately bad way - just at the moment he can pretend it doesn't exist - blokes eh! But remember that at the end of the day g/f's come and go - he is still your man old, and he will be that forever. None of that is a great deal of comfort for you except in saying (as others who know the route better than me have said) it is perfectly possible / reasonable that he is out of contact. and possible even for a couple of months.

But!, just an idea - if you can get access to his mail, especially credit card / bank statements you will probably be able to track his movements ashore from his use of cards or wire transfers. May also be able to track down the boat name / exact model or photos from his paperwork. Of course I am not encouraging you to do anything illegal But might be that he set sail with a bag of cash or Travellers cheques - so no guarantees.

Also if you know where he kept the boat for a while before departing, a good chance that someone (another boat owner / marina / workshop) will know the boat name and exact model - that would really help in tracking him down from word of mouth. and someone may even know a bit of his planned route timescale.....even though the plan could well have changed - maybe they decided against Hawaii and decided to stick to the Carib.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 19:01   #26

Quote:
I can worry in silence I suppose.
Smartest thing you've written all day.

He knows where you are and he'll contact you when he wants to and is in a location where he can.

If his grandchildren are worried about him, that's your doing, not his.

After reading your posts today, it's no wonder he didn't he didn't give you his planned route and stopovers.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 19:38   #27

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I purchased my Iridium Phone from GMPCS in in Pampano Beach, Florida where they sell them direct to the public. They were cheaper there than some of the Marine stores like West Marine that sold them. I think I paid about $400 less than the West Marine price at the time. If I recall correctly, they cost about $1200 when I purchased mine five years ago.

Here is a web site where you can get all the facts about them from GMPCS.

http://www.gmpcs-us.com/

I suspect that there are other places where you can pick them up as well.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 20:22   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 04:53   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Smartest thing you've written all day.

He knows where you are and he'll contact you when he wants to and is in a location where he can.

If his grandchildren are worried about him, that's your doing, not his.

After reading your posts today, it's no wonder he didn't he didn't give you his planned route and stopovers.
This was way rude, dude. You didn't need to do that.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 05:48   #30

Thanks international drifter, it's okay. I am probably overreacting. I didn't mean to take up anyone's time that would find my posts stupid. I apologize for my ignorance of posting and offending anyone.

I still haven't heard from my dad.

Trust me, the people on this list have been really polite compared to what I get when I go to a marine store, or even a marina to ask questions. Since I'm not educated on boats, nobody takes me seriously. As you can see, I only know what kind of boat my dad has, nothing else.

I have learned a lot from everyone on here, and I'm going to Amazon.com to purchase some books and read more. If anyone has any they can suggest, I'd be more than happy for suggestions.