Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2012, 10:31   #31

Boat: westerly centaur 26
Re: new anchoring regs in fl keys up for public comment

You all are making great points please just make sure you are commenting on the Fwc website link I provided at the top of this post. They need to have a record of our position on this.
Feel free to let them have it, they deserve it for "promoting public access" then restricting anchoring. As for pollution, they really dont care. I worked for an orange grove in LaBelle from 2004-2006 and you should see the chemicals they legally put into the environment. Now I have a townhome in Ft. Lauderdale and watch them spay chemicals in the lake and all over the golf course. This waterway drains into the New River when it rains then into the sea. How about when Citys in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami last year spilled thousands of gallons of sewage in our waterways? Just Sayin!

Old 15-07-2012, 10:55   #32

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Because it's their turf and they're entitled to make new rules to make their enforcement easier if they want. The report about cleaner water and marine animals is very telling to me and makes me think in favor of the rules. I have a friend with a boat moored among other boats, and sometimes the smell of sewage from the water is quite apparent. I would not go in that water unless we had no dinghy and the boat was on fire.
Who's turf???...The Gubberments turf? I thought it was the people who decide. Officials are entitled? Since when? I agree that something needs to be done but boat owners need to be able to have input in the decision making process.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:24   #33

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I think it is a money issue. Charge for mooring, get fines, and restrict access so fewer boats are around the place. It is another attack on your freedom of access. So those with more money will have better views and those with less money will have less access.

Quote:
Sec. 26-104. Penalties.
Any person cited for a violation of this article shall be charged with a noncriminal infraction. A written warning shall be issued to provide the vessel owner 30 days for corrective action or removal of the vessel. If corrective action or removal is not accomplished, a Uniform Boating Citation may be issued for violations of this ordinance pursuant to F.S. § 327.74 by any law enforcement agency authorized to issue such citations. Vessel owners will be provided thirty (30) days between issuance of citations. Fines associated with citations are established as follows:
First offense- $50
Second offense- $100
Third offense- $250
Fourth or subsequent offenses- $250 and FWC will request that the owner remove the vessel from the Managed Anchoring Zone or No-Anchoring Buffer Zone
Old 15-07-2012, 11:36   #34

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

It reads pretty clearly that this is a money and power control issue at play.
The freedom of unrestricted anchoring is against the concept of a centrally planned economy and community. Free anchoring is an unregulated nightmare to these control oriented people. They dont trust you to behave according to their wishes so they claim the right of ownership control over what happens in areas under their authority and will hit you with their legal clout when you violate their regulations.

Quote:
Pilot Program
The pilot program is intended to explore potential options for regulating the anchoring or mooring of non-live-aboard vessels outside the marked boundaries of public mooring fields. The pilot program are to encourage the establishment of additional public mooring fields and to promote the establishment and use of public mooring fields, promote public access to the waters of this state, enhance navigational safety, protect maritime infrastructure, protect the marine environment, and deter improperly stored, abandoned, or derelict vessels.
Old 16-07-2012, 08:51   #35

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I believe all sides of the issue have been well stated. I, however, have two points to make: 1.) I am a fervent believer in minimal government intervention in people's lives, but 2.) if we lived in a utopian society where everyone lived with honesty, intergrity, ethics and respect for their fellow man, then rules and regulations would not be needed since we all would "police" our own behaviour. However, we all know this is not the case and therefore we must try to achieve a delicate balancing act between regulation and freedom to allow those ethical persons a life without undue regulatory intervention while providing a baseline of protections for us from those persons who cannot live respectably. There is no cruiser who has logged any significant miles that has not seen the abuses of some to the environment. The derelict boat with a foot of barnacles on the bottom, no sails, destroyed topsides and cabin top, missing ports and hatches, laundry and bedding hanging from the rigging, no holding tank and a gaggle of derelict tenders barely floating tied to the mother ship--a veritable homeless encampment complete with crack smoking, alcoholic degenerates that haven't bathed in weeks(?) who occupy a prime spot the cruising sailor could use for a day or two as he continues his journey. And, where have I seen these vessels in the past(before moorings): Ft. Meyers Beach, Cortez, Fl.,Dinner Key Marina, Sunset Cove, Boot Key Harbor, Boca Chica, Stock Island,and Wisteria Island, Key West to name a few. I don't feel sorry for these people and no matter how much I value less government intervention in my life I do not desire to lump them as "cruisers." I do believe that government regulation has cleaned up the mess and will provide a cleaner, safer anchorage for future generations of sailors.
Old 16-07-2012, 11:36   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You guys must really have a hard time getting thru the day with all the fearing of government and what-not. Surprised you're able to make it out of bed for fear some government official will want to check the tags on your mattress.
Old 16-07-2012, 21:25   #37

Boat: 34 Irwin
I was a resident of Marathon and a dockmaster there for 10 years. The following comment was made to me. " we come to the Keys for the laid back attitude and pretty sunsets! Where' s the Starbucks ! What no Starbucks ?!! How uncivilized! "
Old 17-07-2012, 11:31   #38

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
You guys must really have a hard time getting thru the day with all the fearing of government and what-not. Surprised you're able to make it out of bed for fear some government official will want to check the tags on your mattress.
I suppose that is one way of looking at it but then again, the argument could be made that doing nothing is more like acting as a sheep in the herd on it's way to slaughter. I'm sure the British said the same thing to the Colonist in the 1770's.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 13:44   #39

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

This website is dedicated to anchoring rights:

www.marinersbarr.org/
Old 17-07-2012, 14:40   #40
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

rules rules rules; interesting about how boating rules get everyone in such distress, but rules related to driving their cars don't
Old 29-08-2012, 17:39   #41

Boat: westerly centaur 26

what a disappointment, I just saw an article on the cruisers net and they said the Fwc said 39 people commented. I have over a thousand views on this thread. So much for trying to make our voices heard even if its free!
Old 29-08-2012, 18:36   #42

Re: New Anchoring Regs In FL Keys Up For Public Comment.

Those 39 comments were just on the Monroe County (the Keys) ordinance during the very quietly announced comment period which I think lasted two weeks. A lot of us were sending messages back and forth with FWC over the course of many months, and I myself had several long conversations on the phone with various official parties. The good news is that we did sway some of the regulations away from the ridiculous, and some things were eliminated like putting Sunset Cove in--being 50 miles from a mooring field you can't eliminate anchoring and tell people to use a mooring. In Martin County the proposals were so ludicrous that the FWC, after much prodding from some of us, told the county they had to go back to the drawing board. They were proposing no anchoring within 1000 feet of shore and within 300 feet of any marine infrastructure. The worst problem with all this is that Florida once again has a hodge-podge of local laws that most boaters will have no idea about, and it will be easy to fall afoul of them without even knowing you're doing so. Most of the rules are not all that onerous, but taken together it makes life a bit less pleasant for transient boaters. Boaters will now have to have proof of pumpout after ten days. Most of the rules will mostly fall on long-term liveaboards. However, in St. Augustine it did eliminate most of the decent anchorages close to downtown. In St. Pete it eliminated the Vinoy Basin and made anchoring areas downtown very limited.
Old 29-08-2012, 20:10   #43

Boat: In Between Boats

Ignorance is bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Old 30-08-2012, 06:41   #44

Quote:
Not sure exactly what that was in response to, but in this case it isn't paranoia because they are out to get us! Seriously, the laws have passed or are passing that are limiting or eliminating anchoring opportunities in the five Pilot Program areas. This is not a bunch of boaters wearing tinfoil Tilley Hats running around in fear that black FWC helicopters are going to swoop down and take away our anchoring rights. Instead they are being taken away by elected officials and FWC officers in patrol boats.
Old 30-08-2012, 07:03   #45

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Not sure exactly what that was in response to, but in this case it isn't paranoia because they are out to get us! Seriously, the laws have passed or are passing that are limiting or eliminating anchoring opportunities in the five Pilot Program areas. This is not a bunch of boaters wearing tinfoil Tilley Hats running around in fear that black FWC helicopters are going to swoop down and take away our anchoring rights. Instead they are being taken away by elected officials and FWC officers in patrol boats.
IMO, not all is negative.

In the areas covered, now you have to prove you are not dumping raw sewage vs. the law officer proving you are.

I've transited around Florida anchorages and often wondered how boats that have obviously been sitting in the same spot for days, weeks, or months are handling their raw sewage. Especially in areas with no obvious pump-out boat. I can imagine the Y valve only gets closed when a law officer gets within 100 feet. Now the boat occupant has to provide proof of a pump-out if they're in the same spot for 10 days or more. It's hard to see the negative here.

Tags
anchor, anchoring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: