Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 11:53   #1
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
My Old Boat Sunk in Bahamas - Any Info?

Just found out that my previous boat, a Bill Tripp Jr., Bermuda 44 sank somewhere in the Bahamas.

The name of the boat was "Katingo", white Yawl rigged centerboarder built in 1956.

She was sitting on the hard in St. Croix for severeal years after the owner died. His brother took over and think sold the boat to a guy that fixed her up including fiberglassing the hull. (Double planked mahogny)

After he finished the job he sailed North and somebody said it went down in a storm and are now in "a thousand pieces on the bottom of the ocean".

This happened perhaps one year ago, plus/minus....Not sure.

So if anybody knows what transpired and where...?

Just curious.
Old 23-06-2015, 07:47   #2

Re: My Old Boat Sunk in Bahamas - Any Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Just found out that my previous boat, a Bill Tripp Jr., Bermuda 44 sank somewhere in the Bahamas.

The name of the boat was "Katingo", white Yawl rigged centerboarder built in 1956.

She was sitting on the hard in St. Croix for severeal years after the owner died. His brother took over and think sold the boat to a guy that fixed her up including fiberglassing the hull. (Double planked mahogny)

After he finished the job he sailed North and somebody said it went down in a storm and are now in "a thousand pieces on the bottom of the ocean".

This happened perhaps one year ago, plus/minus....Not sure.

So if anybody knows what transpired and where...?

Just curious.
Hello,

I found your post about Katingo yesterday and have been trying to find more information on her. I was friends with the owner's son who bought her around 1986. I was delivery captain in 1987 to move her to St Croix. But due to the owner's mental status (he was on the onset of parkinsons and dementia) I decided to leave the delivery at Nassau because the owner refused to supply much needed safety gear. The boat had no Epirb nor life raft and other gear.

Anyways, she was a beautiful boat when I was taking care of her in those days. With her birdseye maple interior, solid bronze centerboard trunk and centerboard and the Greek tiles. The original owner was a Greek shipping captain who had her built just for the Bermuda race. When the race was done he was not real happy so he sold her.

If you wish to discuss more about her please feel free to contact me at morningcalm@snet.net I have some pictures if you are interested. It's nice to look at the past experiences and the hell we raised in those days....

Brian Kerrigan
bpkayak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas