Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 01:36   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No.. just its time folks faced reality.. look at the history of exploitation and the games that have been played in S American countries.. look at Cuba.. these are all primarily Spanish speaking countries who've been screwed over and for one reason or the other hold non Spanish speakers responsible.. you may not like it.. but its a fact.
Just have to watch the cruise ships disgorge and listen to the visitors talk disparagingly about the locals in front of them..
I remember being in the 'Barefoot Breakfast Bar' (one of the very few locally owned and all black staffed eateries prime location if it still exists) in Phillipsburg with 4 pigs at the next table trying to decide on their second breakfast around 10-30am.. likely the 'Trough' on board had worn off.. the waitress whom I knew was standing waiting for the order while they made rude comments about her to each other.. bit like the Saudi's in London..
I quietly hoped she spat on every [plate before she served them..
Give and ye shall receive works both ways..

PS: Before folk start the Anti-American/Semitic/Racist/Bigot etc rants.. I am not.. I just don't wander round in a blinkered world of home grown propaganda..
We have seen similar and not once but many many times. We have to live there for a bit and really get upset and more than once I have had a word with the folks. It usually did not end up very pleasant but the locals heard me and appreciated what I had to say. I am generally not a confrontational person but when it gets out of hand I will say something - And it is not just Americans, we have seen it from folks from the EU, Canada and let's not forget the Orientals as we have seen really bad behavior from them and talking with locals they really dislike them. We were sitting in a restaurant in Croatia someplace with a lot of empty tables and asked the waitress about them and she said tour group -- we were almost the only ones there and we chatted with her and had a nice time until the Oriental tour group came in and we asked if she wanted us to move to a smaller table - she said no you stay we make them fit - and watched them treat her like crap - she came over a couple of times to see if we wanted more wine and we said no but got a couple of glasses anyway - like a herd of buffalo they all got up and left and she came over and chatted a bit and was relieved they were gone and then the owner came out and gave us a sweet for just being us and we stayed a bit longer - oh she got a huge tip -
As for Americans I have no problem getting into their face if we hear them talking bad about the locals -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 04:02   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Brits below a certain age have terrible name in the Med.. used to be the Balearic's but the last 10yrs or so has seen them spread to Greece.. puking, fighting, public group blow jobs for Facebook.. its seriously sad.. thankfully because of my appearance I'm often taken for German or Scandanavian.. even by the Brit time share and ticket touts..
or an Aussie because of the hat.. Thank you Paul Hogan..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 07:48   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We have seen similar and not once but many many times. We have to live there for a bit and really get upset and more than once I have had a word with the folks. It usually did not end up very pleasant but the locals heard me and appreciated what I had to say. I am generally not a confrontational person but when it gets out of hand I will say something - And it is not just Americans, we have seen it from folks from the EU, Canada and let's not forget the Orientals as we have seen really bad behavior from them and talking with locals they really dislike them. We were sitting in a restaurant in Croatia someplace with a lot of empty tables and asked the waitress about them and she said tour group -- we were almost the only ones there and we chatted with her and had a nice time until the Oriental tour group came in and we asked if she wanted us to move to a smaller table - she said no you stay we make them fit - and watched them treat her like crap - she came over a couple of times to see if we wanted more wine and we said no but got a couple of glasses anyway - like a herd of buffalo they all got up and left and she came over and chatted a bit and was relieved they were gone and then the owner came out and gave us a sweet for just being us and we stayed a bit longer - oh she got a huge tip -
As for Americans I have no problem getting into their face if we hear them talking bad about the locals -
Talk about stereotyping...Oriental is the culture (food, furnishings, style). The people are Asian, not Oriental.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:23   #49

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Brits below a certain age have terrible name in the Med.. used to be the Balearic's but the last 10yrs or so has seen them spread to Greece.. puking, fighting, public group blow jobs for Facebook.. " Boatman

Boatman,
You have forgotten the importance/prevalence of Viking DNA to the British population . . . sounds like "History repeats itself." Good luck raping, pillaging and plundering! Captain Rognvald--Viking in remission
Old 23-03-2016, 08:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
well done! No Nation, No Country, No Race has the corner on buttholeizim. I like to tell them, It's all in the attitude stupid!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:42   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"Brits below a certain age have terrible name in the Med.. used to be the Balearic's but the last 10yrs or so has seen them spread to Greece.. puking, fighting, public group blow jobs for Facebook.. " Boatman

Boatman,
You have forgotten the importance/prevalence of Viking DNA to the British population . . . sounds like "History repeats itself." Good luck raping, pillaging and plundering! Captain Rognvald--Viking in remission
True.. however the Vikings used to rape and pillage the people of those countries they arrived in..
Sadly however due to the progressive dumbing down of educational standards in the UK that simple fact is lost to the 1/2 a brain cell of the invading hordes.. instead.. they land and start on each other..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-03-2016, 08:54   #52

Quote:
True.. however the Vikings used to rape and pillage the people of those countries they arrived in..
Sadly however due to the progressive dumbing down of educational standards in the UK that simple fact is lost to the 1/2 a brain cell of the invading hordes.. instead.. they land and start on each other..

Boatman,
That's the difference when they travel in a Boeing 757 rather than a Dragonship. . . just don't get that male bonding. A furore Normanorum libera nos Domine--Oh Lord deliver us from the fury of the Northmen! Rognvald
Old 23-03-2016, 09:03   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Boatman,
That's the difference when they travel in a Boeing 757 rather than a Dragonship. . . just don't get that male bonding. A furore Normanorum libera nos Domine--Oh Lord deliver us from the fury of the Northmen! Rognvald
I put it down to genetic pollution by the Normans..

Old 23-03-2016, 09:15   #54

Quote:
We have the same dumbing down here in the USA. Even in the 60's there was this friendly little book called The Ugly American. More a spy novel, but still. Most Amerikuns ain't been out of their own country, if not their own county. I think most of us find that those who travel (except the cruise ship and tour group gaggles) are pretty "worldly" but the rest of 'em - just gag me. Maybe we could get the orientals to squabble with the Amerikuns and do each other all in.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:26   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
We have the same dumbing down here in the USA. Even in the 60's there was this friendly little book called The Ugly American. More a spy novel, but still. Most Amerikuns ain't been out of their own country, if not their own county. I think most of us find that those who travel (except the cruise ship and tour group gaggles) are pretty "worldly" but the rest of 'em - just gag me. Maybe we could get the orientals to squabble with the Amerikuns and do each other all in.
I thought that had already started back in the early 50's...

Old 23-03-2016, 09:34   #56

Quote:
I put it down to genetic pollution by the Normans..
And what a "pollution" it was . . . giving Mother England the Norman Law and Europe the impetus and spirit that led to the Renaissance through Norman architecture, art, music ,literature, science and technology. Oxford geneticist, Bryan Sykes, wrote a fascinating study of DNA of the British Isles in 2006 called "Blood of the Isles" tracing England's genetic clans. A must read for any serious Brit or student of ancestral roots. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 23-03-2016, 09:35   #57

Quote:
I thought that had already started back in the early 50's...
Actually the later 50s and early 60s. 'Cuz that when I got out of grade school!

You're only two years younger than I am, so you must know I'm right, right?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena