Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 12:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
I think the OP posted valid information on the area but see this thread going down the drain... Damn thirdworlders and immugrants!

FWIW the only time I've been robbed was by a local in London. Still like going back.
To many Home Grown Grunts...??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 13:05   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Read CIA book on Colombia gives you a broader picture. If Cartagena sees less trouble than elsewhere it is only because this is where all their big shots launder their money. An Elysium of sorts.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 00:16   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We spent almost 3 months in Cartagena a few years ago and walked over downtown during the day and night. That being said when we hauled we knew the area was less than desirable as did the locals. We went to the cities biggest markets and the folks told us to just watch our backpack - and there are places in the city that at night the police don't go nor should you walk.
But we found Cartagena one of the most beautiful and safest cities in the Caribbean.
Been to Port a Prince lately???

And of course I lived in Miami - trying going to parts of it anytime and see what happens. I subcontracted a warehouseman in Miami and we had a guy we worked with in Little Haiti -- each time we had to go see him my friend would took a gun with him in easy reach. And then I worked with a warehouse near Newark NJ - had to go in at night to see how the work was being done - they lock the workers in at night for their safety and have armed guards -
Have you been to parts of LA during the day or worse at night? I could go on and on but will stop here.

Cartagena is one of the places that I could live when I quit sailing we loved it so much.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We spent almost 3 months in Cartagena a few years ago and walked over downtown during the day and night. That being said when we hauled we knew the area was less than desirable as did the locals. We went to the cities biggest markets and the folks told us to just watch our backpack - and there are places in the city that at night the police don't go nor should you walk.
But we found Cartagena one of the most beautiful and safest cities in the Caribbean.

And of course I lived in Miami - trying going to parts of it anytime and see what happens. I subcontracted a warehouseman in Miami and we had a guy we worked with in Little Haiti -- each time we had to go see him my friend would took a gun with him in easy reach. And then I worked with a warehouse near Newark NJ - had to go in at night to see how the work was being done - they lock the workers in at night for their safety and have armed guards -
Have you been to parts of LA during the day or worse at night? I could go on and on but will stop here.

Cartagena is one of the places that I could live when I quit sailing we loved it so much.
Times two
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 05:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

Newark.N.J. is perhaps the worst place I have ever seen. Compton. Cali is second worst.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 12:47   #21

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I have found that if you don't look like a victim, you won't be. Be aware of your surroundings, be aware of who's watching you like you might be a potential victim. These kinds of scum are not brave or even usually all that tough or well armed. They are looking for weakness, don't show any. Head up, eye's alert and moving over 360 degrees, situational awareness!! Then just stay out of the bad area's, most people don't have a clue on how to protect themselves or their loved one's in a life threatening situations, so you must be aware of your own ability's and limitations and live accordingly. Kind of like sailing, I know my limitation's, but seek to learn and grow. My hope is to someday be able to sail my boat to her limitation's with my ability matching her's. I'm not there.....yet.

Bob,
I'm certain you believe much of what you've written but allow me to make a few comments to the contrary and one in agreement: 1.)How you look has little to do with your potential to be robbed. Many policemen and tough guys get robbed on the South and West sides of Chicago and elsewhere in the world because the opportunity is right. Looks are irrelevant to drugged and dangerous offenders with guns and knives. 2.)You can be situationally aware and still be a victim. Drive-by shootings and muggings are commonplace in Chicago's Black and Hispanic ghettos during the day and night and little, if any, response time is possible. This is also seen in Mexico, Central America, South America as well as throughout the continent of Africa. Again, it's the opportunity and your awareness has little to do with the situation. Finally, you are correct about the average person's response to life-threatening situations. Most people who live the US, Canada, NZ, Oz and Europe have lived in civilized areas with little or no violence. Most males have never been in a real fight and have never encountered real violence as we see daily in dangerous areas around the world. These people have no business putting themselves or their loved ones in potentially life-changing situations of violence from which they may never recover emotionally or physically. In conclusion, there are some on this Forum whom I believe give advice that is based upon the exception rather than the rule and deny the dangerous character of places they choose to visit. It's like the man who swims on a beach with shark warnings posted and has a nice swim when there are 4 recorded shark attacks in recent weeks. Is it safe? I guess so . . . you didn't get bit. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 18-03-2016, 13:03   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mugging in Cartagena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Bob,
I'm certain you believe much of what you've written but allow me to make a few comments to the contrary and one in agreement: 1.)How you look has little to do with your potential to be robbed. Many policemen and tough guys get robbed on the South and West sides of Chicago and elsewhere in the world because the opportunity is right. Looks are irrelevant to drugged and dangerous offenders with guns and knives. 2.)You can be situationally aware and still be a victim. Drive-by shootings and muggings are commonplace in Chicago's Black and Hispanic ghettos during the day and night and little, if any, response time is possible. This is also seen in Mexico, Central America, South America as well as throughout the continent of Africa. Again, it's the opportunity and your awareness has little to do with the situation. Finally, you are correct about the average person's response to life-threatening situations. Most people who live the US, Canada, NZ, Oz and Europe have lived in civilized areas with little or no violence. Most males have never been in a real fight and have never encountered real violence as we see daily in dangerous areas around the world. These people have no business putting themselves or their loved ones in potentially life-changing situations of violence from which they may never recover emotionally or physically. In conclusion, there are some on this Forum whom I believe give advice that is based upon the exception rather than the rule and deny the dangerous character of places they choose to visit. It's like the man who swims on a beach with shark warnings posted and has a nice swim when there are 4 recorded shark attacks in recent weeks. Is it safe? I guess so . . . you didn't get bit. Good luck and safe sailing.
Kinda like smoking.. out off 100.. just coz you have not got cancer.. does not mean the other 99 will not.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 14:53   #23

I base what I said on my own life experience across the world in some very dangerous place's. Both as military and civilian. Of course there are no guaranty's, thats why many carry a gun or some other weapon, training is everything, the first lesson is don't look like a victim. I'm not saying I wasn't about to **** myself more than a few time's......but I was the only one who knew. lol.

P.s. that was not advice, it's up to every man to know his own limitations.
Old 18-03-2016, 15:09   #24

Boat: Westsail 32

I spent a lot of months in Cartagena a few years ago and loved it mucho !!
The marina was a safe spot for our boat but knew quite a few people on the hook who didn't have any problems... Went out at night all the time and had a blast ! Definitely one of my favorite cities of the world.
Plenty of trouble available of course , as there is in any city anywhere ...
rumrunnerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 15:09   #25

Quote:
Bob,
+1!

"... In conclusion, there are some on this Forum whom I believe give advice that is based upon the exception rather than the rule and deny the dangerous character of places they choose to visit. ..."

Bang on. Not only as an observation of our (so very human) biases but also as a proof that reading, listening and thinking are lessons in disappearing art.

b.
Old 18-03-2016, 15:18   #26

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=17960

Sure the best place in the world to spend your hard earned freedom tokens.

b.
Old 18-03-2016, 17:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+1!

"... In conclusion, there are some on this Forum whom I believe give advice that is based upon the exception rather than the rule and deny the dangerous character of places they choose to visit. ..."

Bang on. Not only as an observation of our (so very human) biases but also as a proof that reading, listening and thinking are lessons in disappearing art.

b.
as I said a man needs to know his limitations. It sounds like you know your's and live within those parameter's. Good on ya!
Old 18-03-2016, 17:46   #28

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A robbery could happen any where.

When visiting Cartagena for a day last year, the heat and humidity overcame me. Negatively affected my health for the following several days. Definitely not a healthy climate, leastwise for this California boy.
Old 18-03-2016, 17:49   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
HUH??? I am 63. I have lived in 6 homes in two states. Walked the streets in Cleveland, Detroit, Grand Rapids, San Fran, Seattle, Miami, New York, and many small towns in many states. I, We have never been mugged. It never crossed our minds. This is the way it should be & I am sorry that anyone has to live their lives with a probable expectation of robbery or worse. That a country, society tolerates lawless behavior is all it takes to guarantee it. As much as we look forward to the adventure of cruising starting this spring, it is not without a feeling of vulnerability and apprehension.
Pfft, like muggings and worse dont happen in all of those cities. Ive worked in most of them. Like any big city, there are areas you just dont go.

We've spent some time in Cartagena. Strolling around at night too. Beautiful city and generally safe.

I have been mugged only once...in an upscale neighborhood in the USA...because I did not expect it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 18:26   #30

Quote:
... Again, it's the opportunity and your awareness has little to do with the situation. Finally, you are correct about the average person's response to life-threatening situations. Most people who live the US, Canada, NZ, Oz and Europe have lived in civilized areas with little or no violence. Most males have never been in a real fight and have never encountered real violence as we see daily in dangerous areas around the world. These people have no business putting themselves or their loved ones in potentially life-changing situations of violence from which they may never recover emotionally or physically...
Please tell us about those civilized areas with little or no violence. I got cold-cocked (can I say that? That's how the cops described the assault) once in my boring, middle class suburban home town. But I've traveled many thousands of miles since with nothing to report but smiles and good times.

I'm sure glad I exposed myself to the risk! Otherwise, I'd be hunkered down at home watching pirates on Netflix, instead of actually out sailing.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartagena