Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 06:45   #91

Re: More problems in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You are kidding right?
Yes, you are correct. Of course I am kidding.
Old 26-03-2015, 06:48   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
This is not true ,anyone thats been to Baja knows that they only sell fish tacos in Baja..lol
It is a true story. Even so, my wife and I visited Baja many times and always enjoyed our time there. The last time was 1995. Since that time, Mexico has become a much more dangerous place. The tacos were cat tacos, not fish.
Old 26-03-2015, 06:55   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodlmffao
i have only been kidnapped n murdered here no times but in usa i can count five times my life was seriously in jeopardy at the hands of others
it is so very dangerous here i cannot stand it. here a coupla more years repairing and being kidnapped and murdered some more.
at least prices are good here, especially now that the usd sucks so bad.
stay away n allow us who are enjoying life here not be forced to endure your ........
suggestion if ye dont wanna be kidnapped or murdered in mx...do not do business with cartels.
do no drugs.
do not exhibit wealth
turistas here are valued income source.
might be different on eastern coast, but western coast is LOVELY and comfortable.
i willl be here a coupla more years repairing seems to me.
Old 26-03-2015, 06:57   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I really liked your post, it was well balanced in regards to realistically discussing the problems in various areas of MX.

The part about taking portclydeme to task for his attitude...

to be fair, there are just as many if not more posters claiming that those who decide not to go down there are fearmongers, living in fear, have never been to MX, etc etc. That's just as egregious as anything he posted.

Quote:
The reality is, some people have spent a lot of time down there and now feel it is no longer safe, based on their own experiences and those of their friends. We all have our different tolerance levels for safety, hassles, etc.

I'm not currently cruising, so when I think of going to MX, it's by car. Some day I'd love to cruise MX, but who knows, it may get even worse, it might get better, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

The fact is, MX has surpassed Colombia in terms of kidnappings and killings of tourists - not drug cartel members, a long time ago. They ARE targeting visitors and tourists, so it's just a matter of (bad) luck if you get caught up in something. There are no guarantees. Somebody is getting kidnapped or killed by the thousands, and as tourism drops off, it's obviously a higher percentage of the total number of visitors.

This is directed to everyone in this thread: what percentage of kidnappings or murders do you consider unsafe?

1 in 10,000 tourists?
1 in 5,000?
1 in 1,000?
1 in 500?
Best post in this thread!
Old 26-03-2015, 06:59   #95

rodlmffao
i have only been kidnapped n murdered here no times but in usa i can count five times my life was seriously in jeopardy at the hands of others
it is so very dangerous here i cannot stand it. here a coupla more years repairing and being kidnapped and murdered some more.
stay away n allow us who are enjoying life here not be forced to endure your ........
suggestion if ye dont wanna be kidnapped or murdered in mx...do not do business with cartels.
do no drugs.
do not exhibit wealth
might be different on eastern coast, but western coast is LOVELY and comfortable.

btw. they do NOT eat dog or cat here. dogs and cats rid homes and businesses of pesty vermin. valued critters.
is the children what had to worry. fish n kids

rodlmffao
Old 26-03-2015, 07:02   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rodlmffao
do no drugs.
do not exhibit wealth
I've danced around this topic before, yet now I'll ask you directly. What's your native language?

I like drugs, and I do not like feeling nervous about my hard-earned personal possessions or safety. Live life however you wish. The warning was from the US State Department, not me. However, I believe them before I believe you.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:04   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You know some of you guys say we are all entitled to an opinion and then you put that opinion down trying to belittle the poster. Why is that. Why do you always feel you need to continuously defend your position and in doing so try to make the person on the other side of the discussion out to be "fear monger" or "afraid", "hiding in gated communities" etc? What is it that you are lacking in yourself that causes you to do this? I have noticed this to be a trait in US politics, having crept across the border unfortunately. Is that where it comes from? You NEED to win so badly that you can't just state your piece and leave it be? Anyway, bye now. This thread is going on ignore.
People who are knee jerks, with pet subjects like how great it is here or there regardless of warnings and statistics need posters like you as a countervailing source of balanced opinions.

The Mexico group of been there, done that and anyone who says it isn't safe is an idiot is the worst.

C'mon, turn off the ignore option.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:04   #98

rodlmffao
do no drugs.
do not exhibit wealth

btw. they do NOT eat dog or cat here. dogs and cats rid homes and businesses of pesty vermin. valued critters.
is the children what have to worry.
children of pigs n chickens n cows...and fish.

rodlmffao
Old 26-03-2015, 07:10   #99

Quote:

rodlmffao
"children of pigs..."? What?

Anyway, the story was real. My friend did not make it up out of thin air. The meat in the chicken tacos was cat meat. They got on their bikes and rode on. End of story.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:18   #100

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Such BS.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:23   #101

Quote:
rodlmffao
Although you're response will be vicious or dripping with sarcasm and insult, have you considered the possibility your approach in dealing with others and your associations 'back home' may have jeapordized your life?

Quote:
it is so very dangerous here i cannot stand it.
Then perhaps you should consider leaving.

Quote:
here a coupla more years repairing and being kidnapped and murdered some more.
Your tolerance level for abuse is phenomenal!

Quote:
Now we know your real motivation, in spite of the multiple times you've been kidnapped and murdered why you stay on in Mexico.

Quote:
Masochists welcome!

Quote:
do no drugs.
do not exhibit wealth

rodlmffao
Old 26-03-2015, 07:31   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Such BS.
BS? You talking to me? No BS here, my friend. It was a true story. In fact, the Harley shop owned by my friend's dad is in the high desert, east of Palm Springs, yet the shop where I was told the story was Bartels, right in your home town. Marina Del Rey, California.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:33   #103

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

No one here believes you.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:38   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
No one here believes you.
Whoa!

I believe him.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:47   #105
Eternal Member

Since Mexico has apparently become a place of such appalling danger and risk to cruising sailors, surely someone can link to the recent data/particular instances that would support that notion, no?

Or, to offer some proof as to how much more unfavorably Mexico - the world's 11th most populous nation with 120 million inhabitants - might compare with St Lucia, for example - which ranks 193 among the world's countries with a population of 185,000?

I dunno, given the seeming lack of information re crime specifically targeting cruisers in Mexico, seems like heading to St Lucia aboard a cruising yacht might entail just a tad more risk than Mexico, to me...

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/recent_incidents/
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico