Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 19:02   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
More problems in Mexico

Canadian man found dead on Los Cabos beach

More than usual violent crimes in Baja. I have even heard La Paz is experiencing some of the same. A boat stolen and partially stripped.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-03-2015, 19:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: More problems in Mexico

I don't get a comfortable feeling about visiting Mexico after reading that article. Lots of tourists robbed as well as murder.
Old 21-03-2015, 19:50   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ya...I'm back now in Ca. If you read my blog a few posts back you'll see the corrupt experience I had with a cop. When I'm cruising around on a boat everything seems so peaceful and normal. But stepping foot on terra firma is another story.
I was torn with another season in Mx. or crossing the pond. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I wanted to cruise 25 years ago. I wish I had. It seems now more and more violence each year. When president Fox ran the country, things seemed a lot less corrupt.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-03-2015, 19:51   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

That's really never a good way to be found.
Condolences to friends and family.
Old 21-03-2015, 20:18   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I wanted to cruise 25 years ago. I wish I had. It seems now more and more violence each year. When president Fox ran the country, things seemed a lot less corrupt.
We did, and we're glad we did.
The average Mexican citizens we met were good and honest persons.
1995 getting the boat provisioned for a couple of months of cruising in the Sea of Cortez in San Carlos Sonora, my wallet fell out of my pocket in the entrance to a grocery store. I had just visited an ATM, so I had a big pile of Pesos in the wallet. The money went everywhere with the air conditioning fans.
I didn't realize it was gone until I reached for my wallet to pay for the groceries at least a half hour later.

When I walked out to retrace my steps, the wallet was in the middle of the lobby and all the money was blowing around on the floor.

Everyone was walking past as if they didn't even see it. (All of them Mexicans). I picked up my wallet and collected the money. I sat down on a bench in the lobby holding the money to see if anyone wanted to challenge me for the money. After fully five minutes of being totally ignored, I put my money back in the wallet. 100% of it was accounted for.
It must have been blowing around on that floor for nearly a half hour.

I hope this absolutely true story changes a few minds about the average Mexican.

Ayn Rand
Old 21-03-2015, 20:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I don't need to change my mind about the average Mexican. I think, like most people in the world, they are friendly, decent and honest people. Spent some time 20 yrs ago on Isla Mujeres and Cozumel. At that time the officials on Isla M. were great but the ones on Cozumel were corrupt. People were wonderful. But the violence seems to be so out of control down there, so why bother.
Old 21-03-2015, 20:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
We did, and we're glad we did.
The average Mexican citizens we met were good and honest persons.
1995 getting the boat provisioned for a couple of months of cruising in the Sea of Cortez in San Carlos Sonora, my wallet fell out of my pocket in the entrance to a grocery store. I had just visited an ATM, so I had a big pile of Pesos in the wallet. The money went everywhere with the air conditioning fans.
I didn't realize it was gone until I reached for my wallet to pay for the groceries at least a half hour later.

When I walked out to retrace my steps, the wallet was in the middle of the lobby and all the money was blowing around on the floor.

Everyone was walking past as if they didn't even see it. (All of them Mexicans). I picked up my wallet and collected the money. I sat down on a bench in the lobby holding the money to see if anyone wanted to challenge me for the money. After fully five minutes of being totally ignored, I put my money back in the wallet. 100% of it was accounted for.
It must have been blowing around on that floor for nearly a half hour.

I hope this absolutely true story changes a few minds about the average Mexican.
I made a gringo mistake of confusing four hundred pesos as forty when paying a street vendor in busy Ensenada. I was half a block away before he caught up with me to give me my correct change.

You don't hear stories like this, and I have several. I have been visiting Mexico for over fifty years, and I have never been shot at, knifed, or beheaded even once. Nor do I know anyone that has.

I have been ripped off, and I do know several victims of violence in the good old U.S., but hey. Just bad luck, I guess.
Old 21-03-2015, 21:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I don't need to change my mind about the average Mexican. I think, like most people in the world, they are friendly, decent and honest people. Spent some time 20 yrs ago on Isla Mujeres and Cozumel. At that time the officials on Isla M. were great but the ones on Cozumel were corrupt. People were wonderful. But the violence seems to be so out of control down there, so why bother.
I lived in LA for ten years. Up through around '95, my wife and I many times enjoyed visiting Baja -- by car, not by sail. We never worried about the locals, the drug lords, or basic riffraff. We were only concerned about having a few $20 dollar bills at hand to bribe Federales if pulled over on the way to Ensenada.

Today, no thanks!!!! Way too much nonsense there, and I will cook my own Mexican food (which I like! ). Also, you can now buy Tacate and Corona beer anyway worldwide, including the convenience stores here in Japan. Why go to Mexico? Been there. Done that. Got out alive.
Old 22-03-2015, 07:17   #9

Ive travelled all over Mexico by bus and auto, alone, to some of the most remote area, even when they had the uprisings in Chiapas. the only time I had any trouble was in Mexico City and that was with the cops.

Mexico is a beautiful gracious country. I agree with what was said about President Fox, but times change. Now I refuse to cross the border, as do many of my Mexican friends.

The Cartels are sub human, not unlike ISIS. They need extermination.
Old 22-03-2015, 07:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

This cant be true the world is becoming a much safer place,for the criminals..
Old 22-03-2015, 07:42   #11

I think all the people complaning about the violence and theft in Mexico should take a good look at their home countries , I had my dinhgy + outboard stolen out of the marina in Australia , in the marina in Canada , I was warned , make sure you chain it up ,in Fiji , a yacht was boarded during the night and had their computer lifted ,while the were asleep , I left my wallet on a market stand there ,came back an hour later and the old chinese lady ( on the stand ) handed it over , I wasn't even sure if I had left it on that stand ,So if the atitude is oh! Mexico is dangerous , try tripping down the back steps at home , and see how you get on .
And we wont even start on the news reports all over the world of murder, theft ,
rape and mayhem , and I am just talking about the so called civilized countries .
HELLO !!!!!!!!!
Old 22-03-2015, 08:20   #12

Boat: Lancer 36

Well said Duchie. I live in Texas, were we have all the same problems: murder, rape, theft & criminal mayhem. Our government representatives answer is to arm everyone. The legislature's current priorities are bills for campus carry of firearms and building a bigger border fence. Paranoia is not a good thing for a person, state or country. Paranoia takes all the fun out of life. How many people have sailed the Sea of Cortez and had the time of their life?
Old 22-03-2015, 08:21   #13

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I'm heading back tomorrow! I am flying to Puerto Vallarta to crew on a boat back to La Paz. Has there been an increase in violent crime in Baja? Yes, but still well below what we consider normal in the USA. As always, I will keep my eyes open, but mainly so that I can interact with the friendly locals. YMMV.
The Sea of Cortez is a true wonder. Stay away if you like, but you won't know what you are missing.

Cheers, Bill
Old 22-03-2015, 09:03   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Like many posting here, my Mexican experiences have all been good. Lived aboard in the El Cid marina north of Mazatlan for over 2 years when it first opened. The El Cid and ther hotels in the chain were reputedly built by drug money but the security was great and the folks there were wonderful.
Also made good $ delivering boats from Baja and the Mexican mainland back to San Diego and LA through the 80's and early 90's. Fun times, great folks in rural Mexico (Cabo only had 2 blocks of paved streets) and gringos were welcome everywhere I went. Very little violence... The place was known for its laid back life style and a little ganja wherever you landed. It wasn't until the gang-bangers from LA begin sending their brethren south to hide out that it became like South Cenral LA!
Sure miss those days!! Phil
Old 22-03-2015, 09:08   #15

No question about it, drug cartels are alive and well, particularly in La Paz. That's why we watch TV, isn't it? To get terrorized?

We are in Mazatlan, heading north to Guaymas, slowly. My Telcel phone sends me texts of news in the Baja, in Spanish, all day long. (I have no idea how to stop these! Neither does Telcel.) Muertos is frequently mentioned. Also whales, chocolate clams and ecology in general.

Despite the rumors, we continue to leave our dinghy ashore, to walk around town, to take local buses and to leave the boat pretty much unlocked. We even took a bus to visit Colima!

We try to be vigilant if not careful. And not stupid. We listen to our cruising friends in the places we visit to gauge whether an area of town is ok or suspect.

Home is Oakland CA. Like Mexico, it has wonderful sights and people. And not so wonderful ones.

We love our life cruising Mexico, and hope we don't experience a panga robbery or killing by whale.

But the more of you who choose other destinations, the fewer cruisers at the anchorages we love!
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico