Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 11:49   #121

Re: More problems in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

<snip>

I'm not saying stay glued to the couch, I'm eventually going to get a nice boat and cruise, but I guess the final decision on where to go will be made based on input from other cruisers in the area recently.
If your location is San Diego, the option of sailing an extra 900+ n.m. to the Marquesas is not too difficult choice in order to skip Mexico. Unless you own a relatively slow boat like mine.

I've sailed La Paz to the Marquesas twice and would not welcome another 10+ days enroute. Still, I may do it because after being stung twice by officials for mordida, having a rat come aboard and witnessing the most recent fiasco involving impoundment of more than 300 cruising boats - stopping in Mexico has no appeal.
Old 26-03-2015, 12:15   #122
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i see no one mentions the new warning mentioned by u s state dept about the dangerous conditions in nassau and bahamas..... is SAME THING!!!!
one person gets injured and a warning is emitted.
how many will stop planning their huge trip to bahamas just because of a us state department warning to tourists.....
ANY senationalist can blow a u s state department warning into a big "newsworthy" argument to encourage folks to remain safely at home in good old usa...under thumb of bigger than necessary control freak big brother.
all my travelling life and before i have been taught that you go wherever you want to go and keep eyes open. do not flaunt wealth. etc..
nothing haas changed. the world is still the world. travel wherever your little black heart wishes to go and keep yer eyes open.
do not flaunt wealth
do not be a victim nor appear to be one.
be aware of surroundings and people.

Old 26-03-2015, 12:16   #123

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
If your location is San Diego, the option of sailing an extra 900+ n.m. to the Marquesas is not too difficult choice in order to skip Mexico. Unless you own a relatively slow boat like mine.

More like over 2,500 extra miles to the Marquesas.

S/V B'Shert
Old 26-03-2015, 12:30   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
More like over 2,500 extra miles to the Marquesas.

S/V B'Shert
Cabo San Lucas is roughly 900 n.m. from San Diego. People typically stop in Mexico and stay up to 6 months awaiting the end of the cyclone season before fetching the Marquesas. Mexico to the Marquesas is the roughly 2,500 n.m. you mention. But, if you bypass Mexico you'll be travelling 2,500+900 n.m. or 3,400 n.m. without stopping...

My first passage from San Blas, Mexico to Hiva Oa took 32 days. About average for all boats. The second from near La Pas took 42 days... Would I want to add another 10 days to either passage? No, but my experience and recent events in Mexico may find me doing it...
Old 26-03-2015, 12:31   #125
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm going to start a thread about how dangerous it is for every place I want to cruise to. Near as I can tell from this thread it should help reduce the number of foreign jerks there giving cruisers a bad rep
Old 26-03-2015, 12:39   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i see no one mentions the new warning mentioned by u s state dept about the dangerous conditions in nassau and bahamas..... is SAME THING!!!!
Mebbe it's because this thread concerns Mexico. There's another thread about the Bahamas running now. You may want to visit it in order to get a fix...

Quote:
one person gets injured and a warning is emitted.
And, if that person were you?

Quote:
how many will stop planning their huge trip to bahamas just because of a us state department warning to tourists.....
Most likely, many.

Quote:
ANY senationalist can blow a u s state department warning into a big "newsworthy" argument to encourage folks to remain safely at home in good old usa...
Only if they have an effective platform. And, why shouldn't people be warned?

Quote:
under thumb of bigger than necessary control freak big brother.
all my travelling life and before i have been taught that you go wherever you want to go and keep eyes open. do not flaunt wealth. etc..
nothing haas changed. the world is still the world. travel wherever your little black heart wishes to go and keep yer eyes open.
do not flaunt wealth
do not be a victim nor appear to be one.
be aware of surroundings and people.

[/QUOTE]

O.k.. Good advice.
Old 26-03-2015, 12:41   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm going to start a thread about how dangerous it is for every place I want to cruise to. Near as I can tell from this thread it should help reduce the number of foreign jerks there giving cruisers a bad rep
Do that and you may be cursed by the appearance of the evil Cruisersforum 'popup' every time you log in. I'm sure it can be arranged...
Old 26-03-2015, 12:45   #128

HAY, WRONG!!!!!
come to barra de navidad.. is awesome here. peaceful no gunshots nothing malo nada. most pleasant with a french baker. far enough away from south california (baja) to really be nice.
i consider north of mazatlan to be same as united states, as it pretty much is, what with the gangland attitude and turista ripoff mentality the border towns have.
barra to zihuat is good place.
tranquil. peaceful.
green and gorgeous.
many fruit trees yielding many fruits..cruising grounds with beautiful coves and bahias in which to anchor.
beautiful.
many ranches and farms.
i have yet to go to alcaputo, but i have friends who live there and others who pick up a mooring annually.
must be safe enough, even tho' the citizens arrested and imprisoned the corrupt chief of police of estado guerrero two years ago....... lol
Old 26-03-2015, 12:56   #129

Quote:
HAY, WRONG!!!!!
HAY ZEEHAG!!!!!

Quote:
come to barra de navidad.. is awesome here. peaceful no gunshots nothing malo nada. most pleasant with a french baker.
Ooooh. A French bakery! A pattisiere with real French pastries like in Mayotte, Tahiti and New Caledonia? How'd you know my weak spot?

Is Barra de Navidad in any of the advisories?

Quote:
far enough away from south california (baja) to really be nice.
i consider north of mazatlan to be same as united states, as it pretty much is.
i have yet to go to alcaputo, but i have friends who live there and others who pick up a mooring annually.
must be safe enough, even tho' the citizens arrested and imprisoned the corrupt chief of police of estado guerrero two years ago....... lol
Thanks for the invite. May be worth considering as a stop enroute to Hiva Oa. Sorta out of the way though...
Old 26-03-2015, 13:00   #130

zee,

Ya just gotta stop explaining to the scaredy-cat crowd that there actually ARE safe places in the world to sail and stay.

They might start believing the good news.

Then it'd get crowded where you are.

Kinda like uncrowded ski slopes. No one EVER told anyone else where they were.

And, given this discussion, they wouldn't believe you anyway.

Quote:
HAY, WRONG!!!!!
come to barra de navidad.. is awesome here. peaceful no gunshots nothing malo nada. most pleasant with a french baker. far enough away from south california (baja) to really be nice.
i consider north of mazatlan to be same as united states, as it pretty much is, what with the gangland attitude and turista ripoff mentality the border towns have.
tranquil. peaceful.
green and gorgeous.
many fruit trees yielding many fruits..cruising grounds with beautiful coves and bahias in which to anchor.
beautiful.
many ranches and farms.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-03-2015, 13:07   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
zee,

Ya just gotta stop explaining to the scaredy-cat crowd that there actually ARE safe places in the world to sail and stay.

They might start believing the good news.

Then it'd get crowded where you are.

Kinda like uncrowded ski slopes. No one EVER told anyone else where they were.

And, given this discussion, they wouldn't believe you anyway.
Scaredy-cat? Not nice tossing around demeaning, nasty words like that at your fellow cruisers.

Besides, from everything I've read most will wear rose coloured glasses and do what they damn well please anyway.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:21   #132

i refuse to wear any glasses and i always have done what i wanted to do .. poooor momma......
Old 26-03-2015, 13:27   #133

Quote:
i refuse to wear any glasses and i always have done what i wanted to do .. poooor momma......
See! Whattid I tell ya?

Yeah, I imagine you were quite a handfull. Poor Mama indeed!
Old 26-03-2015, 13:37   #134

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I know Mexican Americans that were raised on the Texas border that no longer travel in Mexico. Tampico was once a spring break paradise but it has become something very different.

The last time my lady and I crossed the border I was very vigilant. I took the same precautions in Paris, Cairo, Fukuoka, Seoul, Dubai and New Orleans.

I have no reason to doubt the travel advisories. I am still very interested in exploring the eastern coast of Mexico but I would not encourage my lady to do the trip.

She, like many here, does not enjoy a taste of danger. She likes bay sailing but does not care for big water. It's not for everyone. Especially when the weather pipes up.

I'm thinking that venturing out of sight of land headed for a distant port is in many ways more dangerous than crossing the Mexican border. I know that many take comfort in the false sense of security that safety equipment and comms can provide but give up on small boats in big water after their first storm.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:40   #135

Nasty? Demeaning? Maybe I shoulda put it in quotes. Maybe I shoulda said "fear mongering."

Look, it's simple.

There are those who have decided that there are places in the world they CHOOSE to not travel to.

That's fine. We can all read the State Department bulletins. And warnings made on this and other forums that are well intentioned.

There are others who, while certainly not blissfully unaware, have personal experiences that differ with the doom-and-gloom.

That's all.

Interesting thread.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico