Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2015, 12:47   #211

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: More problems in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Whoa!

Was your boat one of the more than 300 recently impounded by a newly created tax authority in Mexico? Have you ever been the target of an official demanding mordida? If not, you can cite me as having experienced that both times I've sailed to Mexico.

Fortunately you were not the Canadian recently murdered in Cabo. See post #1.

Expend a little effort to use your friend Google search to find many more incidents. Maybe you can whitewash Mexico by declaring cruisers with long term credentials have not been victims - which is not true - and ignore the reality there, but prudent sailors will think long and hard about including Mexico in their itinerary.

You may believe it's totally alright to have to buy a permit to simply sail in Mexican waters, but I don't. There isn't another country I'm aware of that requires this.

Don't you posters barbing one another with personal insults have something better to do?

"Have you ever been the target of an official demanding mordida? "
Well Yes - here in San Diego! Brought a boat back from Ensenada and the customs guy would only accept CASH. It was after hours, the customs dock was full and somehow the US government no longer accepts checks or credit cards? I had to give him $27 to check back into my country.

In two trips and three years of Mexican cruising with stops at dozens of Port Captains offices I never once was asked for anything other than the proper and well published fees.

"Fortunately you were not the Canadian recently murdered in Cabo. See post #1."

The same weekend there were three folks shot to death here in San Diego.

"You may believe it's totally alright to have to buy a permit to simply sail in Mexican waters, but I don't. There isn't another country I'm aware of that requires this."

You don't get out much do you?

I have repeatedly paid to cruise in Canada. I watched a US Customs guy ding a Canadian sailor a big fine for re-entering the US through no fault of the cruiser. Newport Oregon - We had come in due to big storm off the US West Coast. The poor Canuck was single handing a 36' boat he had just bought in the US. The guy was headed non-stop to the South Pacific and suffered serious damage to his boat before he came in.

The Canunck had checked out of the US at Neah Bay but re-entered at Newport. I was on the boat when ICE almost destroyed his boat searching it. They removed me from the boat at gunpoint because they thought I was his shore side connection for drug smuggling.

You can find horror stories about officials, mordida, and death in any city big or small. I do not find the stories in the parts of Mexico frequented by cruisers to be any different than any other locale I visit.

Again - I ask - IF Mexico is such a bad place WHY are there so many happy cruisers living there?

Old 28-03-2015, 12:53   #212

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

Well Yes - here in San Diego! Brought a boat back from Ensenada and the customs guy would only accept CASH. It was after hours, the customs dock was full and somehow the US government no longer accepts checks or credit cards? I had to give him $27 to check back into my country.

In two trips and three years of Mexican cruising with stops at dozens of Port Captains offices I never once was asked for anything other than the proper and well published fees.

"You may believe it's totally alright to have to buy a permit to simply sail in Mexican waters, but I don't. There isn't another country I'm aware of that requires this."

I have repeatedly paid to cruise in Canada. I watched a US Customs guy ding a Canadian sailor a big fine for re-entering the US through no fault of the cruiser. Newport Oregon - We had come in due to big storm off the US West Coast. The poor Canuck was single handing a 36' boat he had just bought in the US. The guy was headed non-stop to the South Pacific and suffered serious damage to his boat before he came in.

The Canunck had checked out of the US at Neah Bay but re-entered at Newport. I was on the boat when ICE almost destroyed his boat searching it. They removed me from the boat at gunpoint because they thought I was his shore side connection for drug smuggling.

You can find horror stories about officials, mordida, and death in any city big or small. I do not find the stories in the parts of Mexico frequented by cruisers to be any different than any other locale I visit.

Again - I ask - IF Mexico is such a bad place WHY are there so many happy cruisers living there?
I think that you are wasting your efforts on this one, my friend.

Old 28-03-2015, 12:54   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wrong strikes again:

But, but... The Mexican government and officials with authority to affect anyone's life have a long history of abuse, graft and corruption. It is in their DNA. Your optimism is astounding and unsupported by the facts. These kinds of incidents are sport in Mexico...

That's NOT what happened in this case and had nothing whatsoever to do with mordida or corruption. Just basic govt bureaucratic BS.
Yeah. And its execution wasn't tantamount to abuse of cruisers who were up to snuff? All for a very small number of boats out of compliance?

Forgot to add "incompetence" to my list... Consider it done.

Quote:
Maybe you can spend some time doing some homework.
Maybe you can kiss my ass.

Quote:
Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

Scroll down, it's at the bottom.

For your homework assignment, go to Latitude's homepage and type Mexico in the search box.

Then do some reading on the subject.
Quote:
What folks are saying, quite nicely and friendly, is that YOU choose to go where you want to go.

Your boat, your choice.
Didn't ask for or need their advice.

Quote:
But spewing incorrect advice doesn't help anyone, and that's all anyone who disagrees with you has been saying.
And the "incorrect advice is?
Old 28-03-2015, 13:04   #214

Boat: Custom 55

"Maybe you can kiss my ass."

Well, that's really not appropriate, is it?

This is a discussion worth having, and frankly, there are people who wish to learn from those who have gone before them. I certainly did, and still do look for advice and info when contemplating going to someplace I've never been before.

Regarding the misinformed nonsense, you don't have to dig too deep. How about 'they all hate your ass', 'they all think you're stupid', Right... All of them. That's what I'm talking about, amigo.

TJ
Old 28-03-2015, 13:06   #215

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I like Pico de gallo

I like guacamole!

Yeah, I don't what the heck is going on in this thread, but feel I needed to get involved....at least on the side of food.
Old 28-03-2015, 13:10   #216

Quote:

Based on your PERSONAL experiences sounds like the best choice for you and your Canuk friends is to stay out of the U.S..

And, if at my advanced age my recall is worth a hill of beans, seems to me there were fees assessed in San Diego when I left for Mexico in 2000. Maybe a dock fee?

Anyway, with the exception of immigration in Mexico, Trinidad, Madagascar, Indonesia, Dominican Republic and a couple more I've probably forgotten, I'd rather deal with most any immigration operation than in the U.S.. Wish we could borrow the S.D. harbour police just long enough to clean out Richardson Bay in Sausalito. Wouldn't that be a sight to behold?
Old 28-03-2015, 13:15   #217

Boat: Defever 43 - Gray Hawk

Quote:
So. You are required to have a visa if you sail within 24 n.m. of U.S. terra firma and have no plan to land?
Are you comprehension challenged or just argumentative?
Old 28-03-2015, 13:24   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Are you comprehension challenged or just argumentative?
Read this in its entirety, then you decide.

"Not what I'm referring to. But, when I first heard of it, there were no details available at the time. Does not affect cruisers. "A new regulation, introduced January 2012, states that anyone sailing within 24 miles of the coast of Mexico must be in possession of a visa. These visas however are for fishing boats fishing in Mexican waters but never going ashore. The regulation does not apply to sailboats that will be calling at Mexican ports."
Old 28-03-2015, 13:26   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I like guacamole!

Yeah, I don't what the heck is going on in this thread, but feel I needed to get involved....at least on the side of food.
Uh, oh.

I recognize this kind of post as a precursor sometimes for things to come....
Old 28-03-2015, 14:09   #220

Quote:
It is obvious you've never been to San Ysidro!

I bicycle in and thru lovely San Ysidro several times a month and occasionally ride the trolley to SY to start my bicycle rides.

Not a word of english is spoken there, all the signs are in Spanish, and every automobile has a Baja licences plate.

SY may be north of the border fence but it is still part of Mexico.

The cool thing about San Ysidro is the number of upscale US shops and stores that have dedicated Spanish speaking outlets that feature merchandise focused on their Northern Baja clientele.
As a San Diego native, I've probably been to San Ysidro a lot more than you.

It's a fact, SY is in the US, I don't care what language is spoken there or how you arrive at your asinine conclusions.

Speak for yourself, because that is all that you know.
Old 28-03-2015, 14:20   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
As a San Diego native, I've probably been to San Ysidro a lot more than you.

It's a fact, SY is in the US, I don't care what language is spoken there or how you arrive at your asinine conclusions.

Speak for yourself, because that is all that you know.
Nya, nya, na, nanya!

My Daddy is smarter than your daddy!

Ain't we hav'in fun?!!
Old 28-03-2015, 14:35   #222
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Okay moderators, has this degenerated far enough?

S/V B'Shert
Old 28-03-2015, 14:40   #223

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Okay moderators, has this degenerated far enough?

S/V B'Shert
Probably, but there's at least a couple of us still working the food angle, however tangential it may be.
Old 28-03-2015, 15:04   #224

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Guacamole is tangential?

I really love the fried whole fish too. Not to mention the rice.
Must go back there soon..... Its been a while.

Old 28-03-2015, 15:41   #225
Eternal Member

Quote:

It's an exaggeration to suggest people who bring attention to State Department advisories and warnings are 'screaming' about it. And given the choice, I'll apply more weight to the warnings and advisories than testimony from a few posters in C.F. with long term perspectives.
Yeah, the US State Department is all over the specific risks posed to cruisers around the world, alright... Seems to me the reliance upon the Coconut Telegraph might be a hell of a lot more informative than alerts posted by the State Department in many popular cruising locales...

I don't see any SD Alerts posted for either St Lucia, or St Vincent & the Grenadines, for instance... And yet, within about the last year, a British cruiser was attacked and murdered aboard his boat in the first, and an American woman was seriously injured in a machete attack at anchor off Union Island... Why have no warnings been issued as a result of those incidents, that pertain specifically to people like us?

Damn, looks like French Polynesia might be off the table now, as well... Geez, where CAN one sail to 'safely', any more?

Death in Paradise: The Killing of Stefan Ramin

We Americans had best simply stay within our own borders, there's just way too much risk anywhere else, and at least here we can keep our guns close at hand...

Might want to steer clear of Panama City Beach, FL during Spring Break, however...

:-)

Florida shooting at spring break house party in Panama City Beach - CBS News

Tags
Mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: