Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2006, 06:38   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
More people are sailing tidbit.....

"The number of Americans who sail grew from 4.3 million in 2004 to 4.7 million last year, [roughly a 9% increase] according to SGMA. [Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, which tracks sports trends] The average sailor is 37.9 years old, and has a household income of $81,200."*

And I thought that it was just us old farts that were still sailing. On the other hand, in an absolute sense, 37.9 isn't all that young. I still worry that I don't see as many 20 year olds out there as I used to.

I was also heartened to see that the average income was not as high as I had feared. I had come to suspect that sailing was once again becoming a sport for the very rich rather than for us average folk. (For what it is worth the average income in the US was roughly $45K with roughly 26% of the population exceeding the $81.2K average income for sailors in 2005)

Jeff

*Source: "Capital Newspaper" 8/16/2006 and US census data for 2005

Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 06:55   #2

Boat: Alura 30
My feeling is that this trend is going to be on the rise.Just think how much the europeans are paying for fuel.....it's coming here.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 17:25   #3
cruiser

Jean hits right on it. People are dumping power boats and taking up sailing in an increasing number to avoid costs. Well, they are in theory, anyway. When I had looked into selling our boat, the brokers informed me of the uptick in the sailboat market due to the fuel cost factor.

Also, the general population is increasing. So, for any given percentage of the population that sails, as the population increases, so do the number of sailboats.

I also wonder about why I don't see the younger guys out there. I used to be one of them and wonder where they all went. Any on this board?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 17:44   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
I think there are alot of people out there who have made a small fortune by stock market, real estate, etc. and they are coming to the age where they want to retire. Ok what do you do now? Sail around the world. In my research for buying a boat I have met at least a dozen people in that situation. "I've been on power boats all my life and with the price of gas I thought I'd learn to sail." was a quote I heard in Mexico.

I think there are also people that have left sailing to work hard to get the money to go sailing (count me as one) and are coming back. Broker in SF told me he gets calls everyday from people looking for an ocean going cruiser around 35' to 40' that isn't a project and costs less than $150k.

Do you think that with the increase in demand and the increase in materials costs sailboats are going to actually appreciate. I doubt it in real dollars but with all this inflation (that the government says we aren't having) I can see that the price of sailboats will increase soon.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote