Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 03:32   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Monohull in ARC sinks, everyone safe!

Three crew and two children rescued from sinking yacht in Atlantic
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 03:53   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Monohull in ARC sinks, everyone safe!

Yet another sinking of an inherently unsafe monohull.

....sorry, just couldn't resist.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 03:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Monohull in ARC sinks, everyone safe!

Good to hear all made it off safely..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 04:46   #4

They were fortunate and that's good. Hopefully they were properly insured. When I first heard they couldn't find the source of the leak I thought it was a modern boat built with liners, which is a problem with this type of construction but then I read aluminum and I'm trying to figure out how they couldn't find the source as to my knowledge those boats should be wide open for inspection. Can any of you aluminum owners she'd more light on this?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:18   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
They were fortunate and that's good. Hopefully they were properly insured. When I first heard they couldn't find the source of the leak I thought it was a modern boat built with liners, which is a problem with this type of construction but then I read aluminum and I'm trying to figure out how they couldn't find the source as to my knowledge those boats should be wide open for inspection. Can any of you aluminum owners she'd more light on this?
The bilge is typically open for inspections, but the ceiling (hull sides) and furniture storage require building out a liner of sorts. I could see it being very difficult to find a hole above the bilge behind the ceiling.

Matt
Old 25-11-2016, 05:42   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
If it was insulated with foam that could complicate things significantly.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:58   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Glad everyone is safe, especially the 2 children.

Too bad we'll never know the source. They didn't mention a collision with any submerged objects so it would be interesting to hear if they closed all the thru hulls or what there steps were.
Old 25-11-2016, 05:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

That was a stupid and uncalled for remark... you are now a persona non grata... well done!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 06:26   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

To me, the "inherently unsafe" is not mono or multi hull, but the profusion of underwater seacocks designers use to avoid long hose runs. Many are in inaccessible places, or in these two cases simply could not be found. One popped hose, which probably has not had its clamps inspected recently for the same reasons of inaccessibility, and you sink. I met one skipper of a 1980s Nordhaven who told me that he has 27 seacocks. Nordhaven? Those guys specialize in seaworthiness.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 06:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
To me, the "inherently unsafe" is not mono or multi hull, but the profusion of underwater seacocks designers use to avoid long hose runs. Many are in inaccessible places, or in these two cases simply could not be found. One popped hose, which probably has not had its clamps inspected recently for the same reasons of inaccessibility, and you sink. I met one skipper of a 1980s Nordhaven who told me that he has 27 seacocks. Nordhaven? Those guys specialize in seaworthiness.
YIKES!

The only seacocks which are not easy to inspect are the ones in the engine box... There are three in easily opened and viewable ones in cabinets. The hoses are just a couple of feet. What you describe is just poor engineering / installation.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 06:38   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
In a lot of metal boats, they're insultated with spray in foam. Which when first applied, is sticky, & uncured. And it gets sprayed over everything from the waterline on up, if not somewhat below it as well. Bonding to the metal, & as it cures & hardens. After which the boat's interior & furniture is built overtop of it, after the foam is tidied up a bit.

It does a great job of insulating, due to having virtually no gaps. But it would be kind of hard to find a leak behind it. Especially as you'd first need to remove the boat within the boat, which is the interior. So that a puncture might happen in the hull several meters from where a leak appears to be. Much like leaks in a boat with teak decks. Where it can be nigh on impossible to find a leak's source with any degree of accuracy. Especially not easily, nor if you're in a hurry.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:16   #12

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

You would think that with a metal boat all the through hull intakes and outlets could be accomplished with metal pipe welded and run to a location well above the waterline where no seacock would be necessary. This is what I have done with the single hull penetration on my Gemini, of course its glass but same principle with the hose connection at bridgedeck level. On a glass boat it is even easier than on a metal boat as the pipe is formed to follow the hull and heavily glassed to the hull all the way becoming part of it and has the added benefit of being light weight with no corrosion and being dirt cheap. I would do the same on any boat I own.
Glad that the crew are all ok, adults and children equally.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:24   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Problem with a long standpipe with no valve close to the hull, is that there is a real possibility of the water in the pipe freezing and splitting the pipe. With no valve close to the hull there is no way to stop the water ingress.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Problem with a long standpipe with no valve close to the hull, is that there is a real possibility of the water in the pipe freezing and splitting the pipe. With no valve close to the hull there is no way to stop the water ingress.
I've seen seacocks in mainly European fast cruisers that have a lever and is flush with the hull that you can actually remove the valve body completely without hull out. Just unscrew and pull like a transducer. Wish all thruhulls were designed thusly - makes plugging it so much easier.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Damn! Beat me to it!

Tags
arc, hull, monohull