Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 11:53   #181

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

Just when was this incident? Odd that I've not heard of it before (and I've been here in Florida for 20+ years). It would have made pretty big news in the local sailing press if not local broadcast media, Non?
This happened Saturday last day of fantasy fest when hurricane sandy was East of the bahamas it was rough out and you are right very strange it wasnt reported. That was not the only boat lost that day, called in and never reported the
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 12:45   #182
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Missing Vessel (Northern California), 4 souls

The distress call reportedly came in at 4:20 am. In California, Semate Bill 420 refers to a law dealing with medical marijuana consumption, though just how 420 became code to fire up a joint is lost in the mists of time:

snopes.com: 420

And Charms is a candy brand, maker of Blow Pops, a lollipop with a bubble gum center . . . also called a sucker:

TaoJones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charms_display.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	55822  
Old 27-02-2013, 13:49   #183

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
The distress call reportedly came in at 4:20 am. In California, Semate Bill 420 refers to a law dealing with medical marijuana consumption, though just how 420 became code to fire up a joint is lost in the mists of time:

And Charms is a candy brand, maker of Blow Pops, a lollipop with a bubble gum center . . . also called a sucker:

TaoJones
Clever detective work, Tao... makes ya wonder!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-02-2013, 09:02   #184
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Charmglow is a model of gas grill.

If this was a hoax, I hope the fires of Hell are properly stoked for that guy's inevitable arrival.

There are some sick folks with truly twisted egos out there.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 15:42   #185
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So what's the deal? Are they still "searching".

On a side note about protecting our freedom, but not ever, ever, rescuing people. I just saw about 2 million dollars worth of Homeland Security boats come in from a day of maneuvers. they all have 4 350 horse outboard so they probably went thru a few grand in gas. Never seen this many out at once. Guess they needed to blow it before they have the huge 10% cut. They could save way more than that by just taking one engine off each boat.
Old 28-02-2013, 15:46   #186
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Search suspended a day or two ago. Hoax investigation continuing.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 15:57   #187

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So what's the deal? Are they still "searching".

On a side note about protecting our freedom, but not ever, ever, rescuing people. I just saw about 2 million dollars worth of Homeland Security boats come in from a day of maneuvers. they all have 4 350 horse outboard so they probably went thru a few grand in gas. Never seen this many out at once. Guess they needed to blow it before they have the huge 10% cut. They could save way more than that by just taking one engine off each boat.
You should write a letter to Congress or DHS. I'm sure they'd appreciate you solving all of their budget worries. And to think that they thought it was so complicated.

By the way, the percent cuts are retroactive for the whole fiscal year, which started Oct 2012. Whether they performed exercises today or the day after tomorrow doesn't matter as far as sequestration is concerned. But I'm sure you already know that since you seem to have all the answers.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:07   #188

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

The only thing about this that doesn't have "hoax" written all over it, is the supposed lock on where the distress call originated. That still has me wondering because someone out in weather, that far off the coast, is not going to screw around with a phony mayday (or in this case: pan pan- pronounced however you like).
In retrospect, no one claims to know who they are or filed a missing persons report, etc... so, keeping fingers crossed that it really is a hoax.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:14   #189

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't think the term "lock" is appropriate for the distress call. Radio propagation, interference, angles, all sorts of things can make a big difference. Note how often the CG gets a distress call and they can't get an accurate fix, even if it is an obvious hoax. Those of us who are old enough to have used RDF's remember how they were pretty inaccurate at ranges of 60 miles, and there were various tables of corrections for atmospheric conditions, etc. Radio direction finding fixes can get fairly accurate if they can get two or more different towers and cross the lines at a decent angle, but if it is only one weak transmission it is not so accurate. The CG knows all this, and I am sure they are investigating other information that we may not even know about.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:14   #190
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

TaoJones
TJ! Did you come up with that yourself? If so, it might be good to let the CG in on the theory. Brilliant.
Old 28-02-2013, 20:11   #191
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
What it means in French is not particularly relevant. The Pan Pan is NOT limited to mechanical breakdowns. For example, a request for medical assistance ("Pan Pan Medico") is appropriate to Pan Pan. Or, a vessel uncertain of its position could use a Pan Pan to request assistance.

Folks, we don't have to reinvent the wheel here. There has been a role for Pan Pan broadcasts since the inception of marine radio. The problem has been that too few mariners have been trained in proper ratio protocol.
I don't mean to argue with you Bash. You are correct. I was only giving the derivation of the word from French. The "Pro Words" radio call Pan Pan means: "Something concerning is happening, but it isn't so dire that somebody's gonna die soon." The CG advises: "Use MAYDAY when you are in imminent distress, and the term PAN, PAN (rhymes with on, on) for situations where you are concerned, but not necessarily in immediate danger." (USCG: D11 (dr) Calling the Coast Guard)

I haven't heard anyone use "Pan Pan Medico" in a very long time. I'm not sure anyone but we few old time commercial radio operators would recognize what it meant. Not to say it's wrong to use it though. And I also agree with you that there is a serious lack of radio training among recreational boaters. But the logic seems to be: It's better that we have everyone equipped with radios - including the uninitiated - than nearly no one at all. I agree with that logic. The HF bands are still very quiet and wide open for licensed operators.

In the case of this specific incident, I'm a little concerned that the CG was broadcasting PAN PAN on behalf of the vessel. Setting aside that in this case it may be a hoax, I was taught that a shore station, in the case of an imminent threat to life, is supposed to preface its calls to all stations with: "MAYDAY RELAY." After all, they are sinking far offshore. The situation is a little more serious than being out of gas. When S/V Slow Speed Chase was rolled and washed aground last April, I listened to CG Stn. San Francisco call "Pan Pan," while I just shook my head, and thought: "Ah Guys, they didn't just run out of beer. This is more serious than a Pan Pan."

What we Old Timers should be doing is teaching classes in radio technique, to pass on Marconi's legacy.

Cpt Pat
USCG Licensed Master
FCC Licensed GMDSS Operator/Maintainer with Ship Radar
FCC Licensed Commercial Radio Operator
FCC Licensed Amateur Extra Radio Operator
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:23   #192

Boat: PETERSON 44
Could not we imbed a mmsi number in every channel 16 broadcast or have a gps coordinate digitally broadcast.,
This is already required in most cell phones. Would way cut down on abuse of 16 for regular chit chat. Would have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. Let alone the roller coaster of emotion that we felt thinking that kids were drowning under this circumstance. Anyone know why we can't do this?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:42   #193
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Could not we imbed a mmsi number in every channel 16 broadcast or have a gps coordinate digitally broadcast.,
This is already required in most cell phones. Would way cut down on abuse of 16 for regular chit chat. Would have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. Let alone the roller coaster of emotion that we felt thinking that kids were drowning under this circumstance. Anyone know why we can't do this?
It is called ATIS... Google it for more info

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:46   #194

Boat: islandpacket
I dont know what to say
Old 01-03-2013, 20:00   #195

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

No bodies, no wreckage, no distraught relatives=hoax.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california