Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 18:24   #76

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Missing Vessel (Northern California), 4 souls

You hear them fairly often along the U.S. East Coast, especially on weekends.
Old 25-02-2013, 18:43   #77

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You are absolutely right. It's been a while...However, it serves basically the same purpose as an EPIRB.
You are all most right DeepFrz, the ELT is a radio signaling devise to alert rescue planes where the wreck is. The ELT goes off with a sudden G-Force change. The ELT is difficult to determine exact location, because it is a radio signal. The ELT is is required on aircraft that can hold more than one person. It is not registered, so when it goes off, no one knows which aircraft set it off.

New aircraft must have an EPIRB or something like an EPIRB, I am not exactly sure of the regs currently as I have been out of the loop for a while but I think it would be a great idea to make it mandatory for any vessel holding more than a single person to have an EPIRB. They are becomming cheaper, and would be even cheaper if everyone was required to have one. I think they should also be required to be registered to reduce false alarms. I hate regs but in this case I think it is a good idea.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 18:45   #78

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have never heard one. I did get false DSC alerts though.

It seems like every summer there is at least one. A few years ago a guy was CAUGHT!!! Not sure where he was when his call was made, believe it was in the Connecticut/NY area. There was another that I remember who was caught in Massachusetts calling from his home. But over the years I have been on the water, there were many!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 18:50   #79

Quote:
You are absolutely right. It's been a while...However, it serves basically the same purpose as an EPIRB.
Actually, the newer generation of ELTs transmits on 406 MHz. The older 121.5/243 MHz ELT, while not completely mandated for US civilian aircraft, is no longer monitored by COPAS/SARSAT as of Febuary 2009. While most of the newer 406 MHz ELT are not equipped with internal GPS they may be wired to use existing GPS instrumentation on the aircraft. Some 406 MHz ELTs on the market do feature an internal GPS.

A very basic DF antenna can be cheaply built which provides an accurate estimation of position based on the transmission of an older 243 MHz ELT. Hence, while it makes good sense to upgrade to the newer 406 MHz ELT, it is good to not get rid of the RDF gear, aka "boat anchor", for the time being.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 18:51   #80

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Actually, on busy summer weekends sometimes the CG won't even come out until someone else confirms it is a real MayDay! I know, because one time off Scituate the CG asked me if I could track down the source of a weak MayDay in my vicinity. I did find the boat--a small runabout with a VHF radio, no antenna hooked up, and no gas. I asked the CG what to do and they told me to give him gas and tell him how to find shore. We were only a few miles out, but still it was a pain and I ended up giving them about $20 in gas for which they gave me a $5.
Old 25-02-2013, 18:55   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Actually, on busy summer weekends sometimes the CG won't even come out until someone else confirms it is a real MayDay! I know, because one time off Scituate the CG asked me if I could track down the source of a weak MayDay in my vicinity. I did find the boat--a small runabout with a VHF radio, no antenna hooked up, and no gas. I asked the CG what to do and they told me to give him gas and tell him how to find shore. We were only a few miles out, but still it was a pain and I ended up giving them about $20 in gas for which they gave me a $5.
Good on You Kettlewell, that good deed will come back to you one day.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:42   #82

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post
If I were a inshore JetSki or windsurfer etc I would probably be happier with a handheld waterproof radio with DSC/GPS rather than an EPIRB. But if I understand the Australian law you don't get a choice? That is (in my mind) really the downside of legislating to such a degree.
Don't worry we have already had irresponsible JetSki riders missing 40 MN offshore here.

Relying on a handheld VHF radio only offshore would be inadequate and irresponsible.

EPIRB'S use satellite communications rather than rely on the inadequate VHF coverage.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 20:33   #83

I have the final message if you would like to hear it.
http://www.uscgnews.com/clients/4007/524667.wav
Sorry that this is my first post. I found your site while I was reviewing this story. I pray it is a hoax.
Savannah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 21:49   #84

We all take risks in life, some take more than others some get away with it some do not. I have taken my share of high risks but in my risks no one else would pay for my mistake. I would not take my family out without proper safety equipment.

Do what you want but not if others have to pay for your risk.
Old 25-02-2013, 22:30   #85
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
The "jerk comment", which I agree with, is to point out that this thread has been so far heavily dominated by an attempt to ascertain whether this be a hoax or not. Now imagine if the CG or others were to sit at the dock until that time when they had made that determination in order to better articulate why they launched in response to a distress call. The time for dissent is later, not now.
To make the argument that we should hold our tongues until the matter has been resolved, based on the hypothetical "what if the Coasties waited until they'd argued the issue to death before taking action?" is ridiculous. Our discussion of this case has absolutely zero bearing or impact on the search for these people, if they actually exist.

I hate it when someone comes into a thread with a holier-than-thou attitude and tries to limit or dissuade others from having a legitimate discussion. If you don't agree with the course of the conversation in this thread, don't read it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 22:35   #86

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I had my family at sea before there were EPIRBs avaliable for small boats ! but never with out good radios and a life raft to fit us all, also pumps big enough to handle anything but a major holeing. I hope this is a hoax, I really do, as I can only feel for the stupid butthole who would put his family in this position ! I don't pray much but I have today. Just my 2 cents
Old 25-02-2013, 23:48   #87

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
The clip is on YouTube. I don't hear Charm Blow in the transmission. My ears aren't great but I was wondering if anyone else heard something intelligible besides what has been reported. If real this is very sad.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 03:10   #88

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Yes, the outcome is still uncertain.

But to those who believe hoaxes are rare, the attached URL from Boat US states in 2011 there were 161 fake maydays!!!

Last June there was another fake distress claiming from the supposed Blind Date off Sandy Hook, California with 21 souls onboard. The search/rescue reported cost is $318K! Yeah--- poop does happen.

BoatUS Magazine: Mayday, Mayday? No Way! | December 2012

The article goes on to tell that 2 separate Massachusetts' callers were caught. Both callers were sent to prison and ordered to pay restitution!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:32   #89
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
All aircraft must be fitted with an EPIRB and this has been the law/regulation for many years. It helps reduce the time to rescue and the cost of the search.

If this is not a hoax, or even if it is, the coast guard will search until there is no more hope of finding the people alive. They do allow a good margin of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Actually aircraft are fitted with an ELT, not an EPIRB, An ELT does not have a GPS signal but it is picked up by satellite , Best by the Russian satellites.
Since monitoring 121.5 by COSPAS-SARSAT has been phased out and they only monitor 406, the newER 406 ELTs like 406 EPIRBS can have a GPS or a GPS interface connection. Digital communications has greatly decreased the false alarm rate and reduce SAR reaction time.

It is also interesting to note that many commercial aircraft are equipped with underwater acoustic beacons in case they crash into water.

At the moment the majority of the international SARSAT constellation satellites are US(NOAA and GEOS).
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:42   #90
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Actually, the newer generation of ELTs transmits on 406 MHz. The older 121.5/243 MHz ELT, while not completely mandated for US civilian aircraft, is no longer monitored by COPAS/SARSAT as of Febuary 2009. While most of the newer 406 MHz ELT are not equipped with internal GPS they may be wired to use existing GPS instrumentation on the aircraft. Some 406 MHz ELTs on the market do feature an internal GPS.

A very basic DF antenna can be cheaply built which provides an accurate estimation of position based on the transmission of an older 243 MHz ELT. Hence, while it makes good sense to upgrade to the newer 406 MHz ELT, it is good to not get rid of the RDF gear, aka "boat anchor", for the time being.
Also the airborne SAR assets still monitor 121.5 in the cockpit. If you still have good batteries keep the old gear, aircraft can do DF homings.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california