Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 17:51   #151
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Actually aircraft are fitted with an ELT, not an EPIRB, An ELT does not have a GPS signal but it is picked up by satellite , Best by the Russian satellites.
An Epirb does not have a GPS signal either. And elt is exactly the same basic system as a Epirb

As to Russian satellites actually there rescue payloads are performing poorly

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 17:53   #152
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Missing Vessel (Northern California), 4 souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
"Pan" means roughly in French: "a mechanical breakdown of any kind." It is spoken twice because it is a single syllable. For a man overboard, I'd simply call it that on the radio. And then revert to Mayday if I couldn't immediately affect a recovery. Here anyway, hypothermia is going to make any immersion over a few minutes a life threatening situation (assuming they don't have a cardiac arrest as soon as they hit the water or gasp water before they came to the surface).

The accepted horn signal for a MOB is three long horns: the Morse code letter "O". The "O" flag has the same meaning.
What it means in French is not particularly relevant. The Pan Pan is NOT limited to mechanical breakdowns. For example, a request for medical assistance ("Pan Pan Medico") is appropriate to Pan Pan. Or, a vessel uncertain of its position could use a Pan Pan to request assistance.

Folks, we don't have to reinvent the wheel here. There has been a role for Pan Pan broadcasts since the inception of marine radio. The problem has been that too few mariners have been trained in proper ratio protocol.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:53   #153
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
A very high percentage of EPIRB signals are false alerts. If everyone was required to have one popular boating areas would be a mess of false alarms. As it is, I don't think a summer goes by when I don't hear the CG calling around during the day trying to locate somebody with an EPIRB running, and that's only when I'm listening in to the VHF. Same with DSC alerts--most are false alarms.
Only in the US as DSC is new and the absence of a VHF course covering DSC, VHF , Epirb procedures is telling

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 17:54   #154
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
It's spelled "pan pan", its pronounced " pon pon".
Nope pronounced pan , like the French world panne from which it is derived

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 18:01   #155

Boat: Finnsailer 38

96% of EPIRB alerts are false.
Old 26-02-2013, 18:01   #156
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post

If I were a inshore JetSki or windsurfer etc I would probably be happier with a handheld waterproof radio with DSC/GPS rather than an EPIRB. But if I understand the Australian law you don't get a choice? That is (in my mind) really the downside of legislating to such a degree.
GMDSS requires that a vessel have two independent means of contact the " shore" in the event of an emergency. Hence a single device is not sufficient. The correct equipment should be a DSC VHF radio AND an Epirb , or the more uncommon Inmarsat rescue beacon. Further out you need DSC equipped MF/HF and an Epirb to maintain the GMDSS basic requirement

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 18:07   #157
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post

The accepted horn signal for a MOB is three long horns: the Morse code letter "O". The "O" flag has the same meaning.
That's obscure, at best. The COLREGS do not specify three long whistle blasts as a sound signal. (And they don't use the term "horn.")

Around here, three long blasts on a whistle is the signal to open a drawbridge.

The one thing correct in the above is that the Oscar flag denotes a man overboard.
Old 26-02-2013, 18:07   #158
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I'm so happy that I'm not the last one that knows a couple of languages or that actually passed radio operator examination
Naval English was actually part of the exams.

But apparently the USCG has it wrong on their website, making it easy to go wrong when radio procedures were not stamped into your head like for some of us
They also had a DSC video tutorial that made several manifestly wrong claims about DSC operation up as well , don't know of its still up.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 18:11   #159
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

What it means in French is not particularly relevant. The Pan Pan is NOT limited to mechanical breakdowns. For example, a request for medical assistance ("Pan Pan Medico") is appropriate to Pan Pan. Or, a vessel uncertain of its position could use a Pan Pan to request assistance.

Folks, we don't have to reinvent the wheel here. There has been a role for Pan Pan broadcasts since the inception of marine radio. The problem has been that too few mariners have been trained in proper ratio protocol.
And to the fact that pan pan medico is of course no longer an official pro word and its use should be discontinued as it brings confusion in many countries.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 18:14   #160
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Of which 86% were resolved by desk work

Equally I'm sure the 4 % that got saved were delighted.

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 18:14   #161
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
And to the fact that pan pan medico is of course no longer an official pro word and its use should be discontinued as it brings confusion in many countries.

Dave
I've missed that, perhaps because it's been a few decades since I trained on radio procedures. Can you cite a source for this?
Old 26-02-2013, 21:06   #162
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Congrats. Post No 6, first to stick your neck out but looks as though you were bang on..
Effin' A right I was. Nobody should ever doubt anything I say.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 21:56   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
An Epirb does not have a GPS signal either. And elt is exactly the same basic system as a Epirb

As to Russian satellites actually there rescue payloads are performing poorly

Dave
An EPIRB does not need a GPS... but... they do come with GPS... makes it faster to get a good position....
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:40   #164

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Horrifying.

I wonder why, given the hour between the "taking on water" message and the "abandoning ship" message, the Coast Guard didn't send a chopper out, or at least get a precise fix on their location.
To all who think the coast guard is the holy grail of rescue, sorry to burst your bubble but they are not. Even had the poor family had a epirb it would still not have saved them.only a life raft may have helped w an epirb.

We were heading nw in hawks channel when the cg was in communications w a sinking commercial fishing vessel. This went on for an hour and a half it ended 2 hours later w the epirb going off and cg never finding them just the epirb. Wife kept asking wtf are they taking so long to assist?
Yes it was blowing 30-40kts we had to stay inshore could not head off. The all drowndd. G time to help a vessel less than 20 miles from land nearly 2 hours. Cg youv suck
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:41   #165

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Horrifying.

I wonder why, given the hour between the "taking on water" message and the "abandoning ship" message, the Coast Guard didn't send a chopper out, or at least get a precise fix on their location.
To all who think the coast guard is the holy grail of rescue, sorry to burst your bubble but they are not. Even had the poor family had a epirb it would still not have saved them.only a life raft may have helped w an epirb.

We were heading nw in hawks channel when the cg was in communications w a sinking commercial fishing vessel. This went on for an hour and a half it ended 2 hours later w the epirb going off and cg never finding them just the epirb. Wife kept asking wtf are they taking so long to assist?
Yes it was blowing 30-40kts we had to stay inshore could not head off. The all drowndd. G time to help a vessel less than 20 miles from land nearly 2 hours. CG pso not impressed, but it sure as hell a priority to stock up on rumrunners before heading offshore,,,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california