Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 09:16   #181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A bit of thread drift but another example of 'journalists" spreading rumours. In this case I don't think it was even a "journalist", it was Chip the weatherman on CNN who started this one. They followed the rumour up with three minutes of pontificating on how the exchange would be down for a week and the world economy would be in chaos due to hedge funds not being able to beef up accounts for the month's end.
there was another one about the nuclear power station in new jersey on alert on bbc,refuted about 15 minutes later
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 09:29   #182

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Whatever they went through, it had to have been a terrifying ride. Notice the top, topgallant masts, and bowsprit are gone . . . probably from violent motion. That's a lot of timber and rigging crashing down. Brave souls.
Old 30-10-2012, 10:10   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Well, if there is any good news as a result of this tragedy, James Cameron has some new material for a film.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:37   #184

Old Ironsides fared well, it looks like. Stayed in port.

https://www.facebook.com/ussconstitu...ref=ts&fref=ts
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 11:14   #185
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

sorry to hear about the loss of Claudene Christian .. such a pretty face .. she did not deserve to be in the teeth of hurricane sandy
Old 30-10-2012, 12:50   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Whatever they went through, it had to have been a terrifying ride. Notice the top, topgallant masts, and bowsprit are gone . . . probably from violent motion. That's a lot of timber and rigging crashing down. Brave souls.
the seas, at least in the photos of the sinking ship, dont look bad at all. not even spindrift. no sails up, so must have been motoring through the swells. that will stress the timbers. wonder if anyone was regularly checking the engines' fuel and air intakes. for both engines to give out sounds like either they suffocated or the fuel got contaminated with water. easy to do through the vents. we used a floating tank intake set to half foot below fuel level in order not to suck water from the bottom.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 12:53   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
is done.
i hope captain is found.
i believe he wont be alive when found--he was in survival suit--0400-what time now--gawds know--is prolly gone unless some one else was out in the storm and found him. no one besides sar goes out in that kind of storm.
i do hope he gave the corporate folks a bad time about this sailing to a schedule in a hurrycame situation....

RIP bounty

RIP claudene christian..

deckofficer--as long as you realize you arent that much younger than am i......and i am only oldish on the outside....
HE WAS NOT SAILING TO A SCHEDULE! he was trying to get to his home in florida. there was no schedule to keep. the owner left the sailing schedule up to the captain. also there is no "corporate" board. the owner is a regular bloke(although with lots of money) who unfortunately fell in love with the boat and bought it from ted the turner years ago.
Old 30-10-2012, 13:03   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...75_634x571.jpg

final moments of HMS Bounty going down.
if you look to the right edge of the picture, about level with the foremast, you can see what looks like a gumby suit in the water. straight linear image, slightly colored different from wave background.
Old 30-10-2012, 13:11   #189
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thanks Ex-Calif for post #169 - I couldn't agree more. He was indeed a kindred spirit and one who was far more dedicated to sailing and the sea than virtually any of us on this site. For those who are prepared to try and convict him without hearing all of the evidence, just remember that his surviving friends and family are deserving of some respect for their feelings and their loss, especially at this time. Remember too that he is not here to defend himself. Remember that his course from only two days (and potentially even one day) before would have led the Bounty clear of the path of Sandy and that his turn back towards the coast could have been due to steering failure, or simply a desire to ensure that the boat was close enough to shore to assist in the successful rescue of his crew from a sinking ship. Please also remember that for whatever mistakes he may have made, he has paid the ultimate price.

From the comments of those who had sailed with him, it would seem that he was a good captain: far from cavalier about seamanship or the lives of his crew. Indeed, I suspect that he would have been far more troubled by the loss of one of their lives than by his own. May he rest in peace.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:34   #190

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
the seas, at least in the photos of the sinking ship, dont look bad at all. not even spindrift. no sails up, so must have been motoring through the swells. that will stress the timbers. wonder if anyone was regularly checking the engines' fuel and air intakes. for both engines to give out sounds like either they suffocated or the fuel got contaminated with water. easy to do through the vents. we used a floating tank intake set to half foot below fuel level in order not to suck water from the bottom.
This whole thread you seem to be an armchair expert.......What is your expertise anyway????
Old 30-10-2012, 13:56   #191

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Thanks Ex-Calif for post #169 - I couldn't agree more. He was indeed a kindred spirit and one who was far more dedicated to sailing and the sea than virtually any of us on this site. For those who are prepared to try and convict him without hearing all of the evidence, just remember that his surviving friends and family are deserving of some respect for their feelings and their loss, especially at this time. Remember too that he is not here to defend himself. Remember that his course from only two days (and potentially even one day) before would have led the Bounty clear of the path of Sandy and that his turn back towards the coast could have been due to steering failure, or simply a desire to ensure that the boat was close enough to shore to assist in the successful rescue of his crew from a sinking ship. Please also remember that for whatever mistakes he may have made, he has paid the ultimate price.

From the comments of those who had sailed with him, it would seem that he was a good captain: far from cavalier about seamanship or the lives of his crew. Indeed, I suspect that he would have been far more troubled by the loss of one of their lives than by his own. May he rest in peace.

Brad

Very well said.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 14:14   #192

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Most of the pics I have tried to take offshore of seas that are really massive, 15++ NEVER come out looking like they really are in person. Videos are just as bad. Last Cabo race in March 2012, we had 40+ gusts and 12-15ft seas. Tried forever to get good shots of the conditions. This is the best I got. Trust me. Seas were massive. Ask 63' Medicine Man.. Right pic is TWS 41+ kts. Left it TWS 35+ kts. Big seas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020354 (2).JPG
Views:	196
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	49021   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020358.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	49022  

Old 30-10-2012, 14:16   #193
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yes i agree with exile--and i must add--the entire story is written on the websites of bounty as well as the fb page. well documented-- captain robin KNEW what he was doing. please respect that. he had bounty in a good place between 2 storms--
go to the websites and see for yourself.

reed1v--read the writings of the bounty website--they had to be in st petes for a show st petes was holding for them. they were to be centerpiece--is written--why do you argue without looking up the facts????

they were not in sandy, the hurrycame--they were between sandy, 180 miles nw of the eye, and the cold front with which sandy ultimately merged. is plain on the website and the fb pages.
there is nothing to speculate on--has been spoken.
read it and know.

rip bounty, captain robin and claudene christian.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 14:21   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
yes i agree with exile--and i must add--the entire story is written on the websites of bounty as well as the fb page. well documented-- captain robin KNEW what he was doing. please respect that. he had bounty in a good place between 2 storms--
go to the websites and see for yourself.

reed1v--read the writings of the bounty website--they had to be in st petes for a show st petes was holding for them. they were to be centerpiece--is written--why do you argue without looking up the facts????

they were not in sandy, the hurrycame--they were between sandy, 180 miles nw of the eye, and the cold front with which sandy ultimately merged. is plain on the website and the fb pages.
there is nothing to speculate on--has been spoken.
read it and know.

rip bounty, captain robin and claudene christian.
looks more and more like churned up debris in the fuel system clogging the lines. no engines, no bilge pumps, so down she goes. wonder when she had her fuel polished.
Old 30-10-2012, 14:37   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
This whole thread you seem to be an armchair expert.......What is your expertise anyway????
in the late 40s and early fifties spent time as a kid with ben pine and my great uncle messing around in my family's old schooner. late fifties sailed on a variety of things, mostly on the pond but once down to the carib. 60s were spent on ww2 salvage boat in england. 70s not much outside of very old herreshoff gaff sloop on cape cod. 80s pacific sailing in my luders ketch. 90s too busy working. 00s switched to grand banks trawler. 10s a cute padebco and lots of arthritis; hope to get a orion 27 for the next decade. lots of time as supernumerary on variety of sailing relics over the decades.

Tags
crew, hurricane