Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2012, 14:29   #91

Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Am I missing something here? I may be ignorant, but here in the baltic we regularly sail in 40 knot winds, with short wave trains and 12-14 foot waves. My boat is 40 feet and weighs 10 tons.

How can this weather sink something like the bounty? Unless her sides or bottom split open.

Not knocking that it is a hurricaine, but the weather being talked about at the bounty doesn't frighten me to death. Maybe it should and I' m just showing my ignorance
normally 40 knots is manageable in most sailboats reefed down. the newport-bermuda race encounters such conditions routinely every several years. a big, lumbering collection of sticks normally is sailed downwind in bad conditions or hoved to. they might have been using the engine to plow into oncoming seas; which is death to wooden hulls.

Old 29-10-2012, 14:30   #92
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Not knocking that it is a hurricaine, but the weather being talked about at the bounty doesn't frighten me to death. Maybe it should and I' m just showing my ignorance

just wondering what it takes to frighten you?

Old 29-10-2012, 14:38   #93

Boat: Sud Composites Switch 51 Grand Cruiser

Quote:
Am I missing something here? I may be ignorant, but here in the baltic we regularly sail in 40 knot winds, with short wave trains and 12-14 foot waves.
Have you ever sailed around Cape Hatteras? There's a good reason it's called the Graveyard of the Atlantic and over 600 boats have been wrecked there.

I've sailed it a few times, and it's never been pleasant! My husband and his crew had to be rescued by the Coast Guard a number of years ago near there during the Worrell 1000. Treacherous place!
Old 29-10-2012, 14:43   #94

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Am I missing something here? I may be ignorant, but here in the baltic we regularly sail in 40 knot winds, with short wave trains and 12-14 foot waves. My boat is 40 feet and weighs 10 tons.

How can this weather sink something like the bounty? Unless her sides or bottom split open.

I think most sailors have experienced 40+ kts with associated seas, and lived to tell the great story. What we don't know yet are the particualrs causing her to sink beneath the waves. Personal note: I fear the sea each and every time I drop lines and am content with that. If you do not fear the fury of the sea, yet... wait... it will come..
Old 29-10-2012, 14:44   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Don, most things scare the dickens out of me. But i've sailed lots of places here in the baltic in worse. Just this summer i got caught in 25-30 knot winds and 15 foot waves coming at me from all sides. A german 49 foot racing boat went down in that, but it was ok for us. Mind you we were running with the wind, so it wasn't bad at all. Just a bumpy ride and we had our tethers on.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:50   #96

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
DUH, no. if the captain had left the ship and others were still on it, that would be a scumbag award, much like happened in italy recently. getting rescued is a good thing. however, its noble to go down with your ship, but you would not understand the "code of the sea" since your not obviously a mariner.
Dude...You're way out of line
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:54   #97
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Latest info suggest planks had to have sprung as they asked for help when the flooding reached 10 ft of water on board, and they couldn't pump it out fast enough. This suggests a catastrophic failure of some kind. Eventually the crew stepped off the ship into life rafts. I'm hopeful the missing crew will be located as they were outfitted in cold water survival suits.

As to what the ship was doing sailing through a hurricane, I'm as interested as the rest of you in the answer to that question. The Captain is a seasoned, veteran sailor. He knew what he was doing. I can't believe keeping a schedule was the reason why he was doing it. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:54   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Don, most things scare the dickens out of me. But i've sailed lots of places here in the baltic in worse. Just this summer i got caught in 25-30 knot winds and 15 foot waves coming at me from all sides. A german 49 foot racing boat went down in that, but it was ok for us. Mind you we were running with the wind, so it wasn't bad at all. Just a bumpy ride and we had our tethers on.
It's not the wind or the waves, but the combination of them along with the wave period! Below is what it is doing currently 10 miles from when my boat is:

Wind Direction (WDIR):ENE ( 60 deg true )Wind Speed (WSPD):36.9 ktsWind Gust (GST):46.6 ktsWave Height (WVHT):23.3 ftDominant Wave Period (DPD):11 secWind Direction (WDIR

It's the period compared to the wave height that is way beyound when I would become "frightened" already and I'm more than willing to admidt it!
Old 29-10-2012, 14:58   #99

Quote:
the baltic is a rather bumpy place. shallow seas, angry currents, unpredictable wind forces that go from a 4 to an 8 in minutes. and the shoals. not to mention the miserable weather in general.

off cape fear and the hatteras banks however, 30-40 footers are not unknown. steep, with big holes in the sea. mix this with the gulf stream, micro bursts, and lots of floating things that can crash a hull; well its very disconcerting.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:59   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's not the wind or the waves, but the combination of them along with the wave period! Below is what it is doing currently 10 miles from when my boat is:

Wind Direction (WDIR):ENE ( 60 deg true )Wind Speed (WSPD):36.9 ktsWind Gust (GST):46.6 ktsWave Height (WVHT):23.3 ftDominant Wave Period (DPD):11 secWind Direction

It's the period compared to the wave height that is way beyound when I would become "frightened" already and I'm more than willing to admidt it!
Old 29-10-2012, 15:01   #101

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Wind Direction (WDIR):ENE ( 60 deg true )Wind Speed (WSPD):36.9 ktsWind Gust (GST):46.6 ktsWave Height (WVHT):23.3 ftDominant Wave Period (DPD):11 secWind Direction (WDIR

~Shiver~
Old 29-10-2012, 15:01   #102

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Is there a specific ratio of period to wave height that should set off the alarms (rule of thumb, not hardand fast, of course)?
Old 29-10-2012, 15:04   #103

Boat: too many

Thanks Astrid. She isn't Tom and Betty's daughter but is their daughter's age.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:05   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
Is there a specific ratio of period to wave height that should set off the alarms (rule of thumb, not hardand fast, of course)?
I don't know about alarms, but when the period in seconds becomes less that 1.5 the height in feet things get uncomfortable. So a 23' wave at 11 second is less than .5 and well ............
Old 29-10-2012, 15:07   #105

Boat: Bristol 29

Bounty had been up for sale for the past two years:
HMS Bounty, Replica

Tags
crew, hurricane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: