Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2012, 13:49   #76

Boat: too many
Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

I had heard via the sailor's grapevine that the two unaccounted were the captain and a direct female descendant of Fletcher. Tom and Betty have 4 daughters currently aged 35 to 42, but the name I heard was Claudine Christian, who isn't one of his 4 daughters, but his two oldest would be old enough to have a daughter of their own old enough to be on their own.

Can anyone shed some light here? I've talked to Tom a number of times on HAM radio.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 13:51   #77

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'

Thanks. Trying to get "around" this storm turned out to be a seriously bad idea. The footage suggested she had a pretty strong degree of heel on her (windage issue?) with no sails up. For those who have been aboard: how stiff was she normally? I'm just wondering with the water reported in the bilge, once she heeled significantly, the righting moment would be severely lessened, do they know if she broke up or just went on her beam ends and filled?

Old 29-10-2012, 13:52   #78

Boat: grampian 26

When the Captain shouts "everyman for himself" does that include him?
Old 29-10-2012, 13:52   #79

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Sandy Hill Pool reported that one of the rescued crew tweeted from CG station that the boat sunk out from under them and they just swam off and got into the rafts. The missing two are the captain and crew woman named Christian, who is in fact, a descendent of Fletcher Christian. Sandy worked on the tall ship Virginia this last summer.

geez, what are the odds 4 of us would post the same info at the same moment?
Old 29-10-2012, 13:53   #80

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

USGC doing what they do best! A big thanks to those guys (and girls).

DVIDS - Video - Coast Guard Rescues 14, Searches for 2 from HMS Bounty
Old 29-10-2012, 13:55   #81

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
Perhaps was meant: in the 'manner' at which DC lost the last race in '84.
Cover, cover, cover.. even from the lead. Stay between your competition and the finish. Sorry about the drift...

Hey. Credit where it's due please...

He never lost it.
We won it

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:00   #82

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
Amazing video.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:02   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquatiCat View Post
Thanks. Trying to get "around" this storm turned out to be a seriously bad idea. The footage suggested she had a pretty strong degree of heel on her (windage issue?) with no sails up. For those who have been aboard: how stiff was she normally? I'm just wondering with the water reported in the bilge, once she heeled significantly, the righting moment would be severely lessened, do they know if she broke up or just went on her beam ends and filled?
sailed on her years ago. bit tender. the nature of her hull design does not give much reserve buoyancy. plus rather high sided as opposed to the old grand bankers which had about one foot of freeboard. old days, the top masts were usually shipped if weather was known to include hurricanes. it left boothbay with just about everything up. just made no sense to leave with sandy coming up the carib. gotta leave slack in the schedule when it comes to sailing.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:05   #84

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Here's a link to the HMS Bounty Facebook page - it looks like thery are posting updates as they have them http://www.facebook.com/HMSBounty
According to Lat 38:

Capt. Walbridge and newest crewmember Claudine Christian (reported to be a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian) were swept away. Both are wearing survival suits, and the Coast Guard is continuing to search today. Bounty has since sunk.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:07   #85

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that this might just be a floating prop?
Built to spec? What spec - size and shape?

Also, my history memory is not that great, but werent there times when entire fleets of wooded ships sank during hurricanes?
The new Bounty was supposedly built according to the original plans with modern materials. She was retro-fitted at least twice and was reported to be in very good condition, though hidden rot or damage is never in the survey for obvious reasons. Add to that the fact that things go wrong at sea, even in good weather.

The Spanish Armada lost about a third of it's vessels in a storm while trying to run from the British.

Cape hatteras is mostly dangerous due to the shoals that extend so far from land, but a strong northerly wind hitting the Gulf Stream will kick up waves that are square, rough on ANY vessel, and especially a wooden square rigger.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:11   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hey. Credit where it's due please...

He never lost it.
We won it
to

bunch of kids here. he lost it in 1983. to mr. bonds. dc was the helmsman, which put him in the position of the key guy. so the cup "left" america for the first time in 132 years. boo!! at nyyc, there was a funeral with the hopes that dc would be the corpse. alas it was not to be. and yes, some yacht races demand the highest sacrifice or at least the most rum consumed.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:16   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Am I missing something here? I may be ignorant, but here in the baltic we regularly sail in 40 knot winds, with short wave trains and 12-14 foot waves. My boat is 40 feet and weighs 10 tons.

How can this weather sink something like the bounty? Unless her sides or bottom split open.

Not knocking that it is a hurricaine, but the weather being talked about at the bounty doesn't frighten me to death. Maybe it should and I' m just showing my ignorance
Old 29-10-2012, 14:24   #88

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Sandy Hill Pool reported that one of the rescued crew tweeted from CG station that the boat sunk out from under them and they just swam off and got into the rafts. The missing two are the captain and crew woman named Christian, who is in fact, a descendent of Fletcher Christian. Sandy worked on the tall ship Virginia this last summer.

geez, what are the odds 4 of us would post the same info at the same moment?
Simple, either "great minds think alike" or the SSSSM grapevine, or both. lol
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:27   #89

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

@deckofficer:

Woman with Local Connection Missing Off East Coast in Wake of Sandy | News | Sequoyah News
Old 29-10-2012, 14:28   #90

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb
Am I missing something here? I may be ignorant, but here in the baltic we regularly sail in 40 knot winds, with short wave trains and 12-14 foot waves. My boat is 40 feet and weighs 10 tons.

How can this weather sink something like the bounty? Unless her sides or bottom split open.

Not knocking that it is a hurricaine, but the weather being talked about at the bounty doesn't frighten me to death. Maybe it should and I' m just showing my ignorance
In the gulf stream with the passing of hurricane force winds you are not going to see a wave train. More like a wash tub. There may be some pattern but youll get slammed from every side. Very steep very chaotic. Hope that helps

Tags
crew, hurricane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: